The Works section of your ORCID record holds references to your research outputs such as publications, data sets, conference presentations, and other works. Works can be added to your record from a number of different sources which are described below under Add works.
Display: Sort works
The listing of works on your ORCID record defaults to reverse chronological order, with the most recently published work floating to the top. You can further choose to sort works as follows:
- By Date: Sorts works in reverse chronological order or reverse chronological order, from most specific to least, e.g. a work with the publish date of 2016.05.23 will appear higher in the reverse chronological order list than works with the publish date of 2016.06 or 2016
- By Title: Sorts works by the work's title; does not ignore determiners or stopwords
- By Type: Sorts works by type (e.g. journal-article, book), with types sorted in alphabetical order
Note that the sorting selection is not saved. If you choose to sort your works by type, then exit and re-enter your record, the works will again appear listed by date.
Display: Grouped works
Sometimes the same work will be added to your ORCID record from different sources. When this happens, these works are grouped together as they represent the same item. Works in ORCID are grouped together based on their identifiers (such as DOIs, ISBNs, etc) and their identifier's relationship being set to self. An identifier can have two relationships:
- self: the identifier refers solely to that work
- part of: the work is part of this identifier.
A book would therefore have a self relationship with an ISBN, while a book chapter would have a part of relationship with the ISBN.
If a work does not have an identifier, it can not be grouped.
Each group of works is shown in a single box. The default version of the work shown is the one you have selected as the preferred version. To see other versions of the work, click on the number next to the Preferred source indicator.
You can toggle between different versions of the work by clicking on the source information.
You can set which version of the work you would like to display publicly by clicking on the Make preferred box.
The full details of the work can be displayed or hidden by toggling the arrow button next to the privacy settings.
You can choose the order in which your works appear by using the sort button on the right side of the works tool bar. The default display is chronological, but the order can be adjusted by anyone viewing your record.
We've created a video on Grouping works on your ORCID record – check it out for a visualization.
There are three ways to add works to your ORCID record.
- Link your works from another system. This is the recommended process because it reduces or eliminates errors and enables a reliable link between your ORCID iD and your works
- Import a BibTeX file of your works
- Manually type in information about your works
Works that you have added to your record yourself (works added manually or via BibTeX) can be edited. Your name will be shown as the source for these works; the pencil icon opens the editing window.
Works added by another source, such as via a Search & Link wizard, cannot be edited directly by you. Instead, you can use the copy and edit icon to create a copy of the information added by the third party source, which you can then edit. This copy will be saved as a new version of the work with you as the source. Only works that have an external identifier can be copied; works with no external identifier have a gray copy and edit icon.
The bulk edit tool in the works menu will allow you to change the visibility settings or delete multiple works at one time.
To remove a work from your record, click on the trash can icon in the bottom right corner of the box around the work. If you have multiple versions of a work you will need to delete each version individually. The Bulk edit option can also be used to delete works.