ORCID is releasing the Public Data File under a CC0 1.0 Public Domain Dedication developed by Creative Commons. Accordingly, ORCID will not impose restrictions or conditions (including those contained in the Terms and Conditions of Use and the Membership Agreement) on use of the Public Data File, but has posted recommended community norms for use.
NOTE: If you are seeking information about how many ORCID record holders are at your institution, we recommend the processes described at our Member Support Center rather than downloading the public data file.
The public data file
- 2017 ORCID Public Data File
- 2016 ORCID Public Data File
- 2015 ORCID Public Data File
- 2014 ORCID Public Data File
- 2013 ORCID Public Data File
To the extent possible under law, ORCID, Inc has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to ORCID Public Data File. This work is published from: United States.
This file will be available at least annually on the October anniversary of our initial launch.
Requirements for getting the file
- Windows: A tool to unpack tar files such as winrar (http://www.winrar.com/) or 7zip (www.7-zip.org)
- Mac: No additional software needed
- Download the file from the link above
- Windows: Use the tool (Winrar or 7zip) that you downloaded to unzip the tar.gz file; this will result in a single .tar file (which may appear with no extension). Run the tool again on the .tar file to unpack it.
Mac: Double-click the tar.gz file to unzip it; this will result in a single .tar file (which may appear with no extension). Double-click the .tar file to unpack it.
- Inside the generated folder you will find two folders: json/ and xml/; inside them, there is one file for each ORCID record in the specified format.
While we make this data available for use, we generally do not provide support.