Creating a password for an ORCID ID account was fairly simple. After that I visited the "ideas forum", and got another anonymous account based on the e-mail address. I renamed that (the Gravatar for the e-mail address is anyway not "anonymous"), and followed the suggestion to create a password. This results in a challenge mail with a link to a "create forum password" form. So far everything as it should be. However, the good ORCID password was not good enough for the forum. I considered to let it rot, because this stupid forum certainly does not deserve the most complex password I ever created (~40 years.) Then I went WTF, and created it anyway. Chrome dutifully noted that I have a new orcid.org password. Major oops, because it did not match the old password for the real thing, i.e., I had to logout of the ID account, login again using the old password manually. Chrome fortunately asked if I want to change new to old, I declined. Then I went to the change password form, which requires the old (hidden), the new (hidden), and the retyped new (hidden) passwords. It took me about an hour get that right with "inspect element, change type="password" (hidden) to "text" (visible) and vice versa, until it finally worked. Some things are broken here, and it's not only Chrome and not only my old eyes. Canonical URL (2009): https://www.nngroup.com/articles/stop-password-masking/
Please sign in to leave a comment.