The Membership and service section of your ORCID record is for information about your membership affiliation with an organization and your activities in service of an organization. You can add information about your memberships or service you have performed to your ORCID record manually, and we also strongly encourage you to grant trusted organizations and trusted individuals permission to add and edit information about your affiliation with them.
- Add or edit a membership or service manually
- Delete a membership or service
Membership and Service are types of affiliations on the ORCID record. They describe your membership in an organization, or your donation of time or other resources in the service of an organization. Each affiliation includes the organization’s name and location, the date the affiliation started, and who added the information to your record: you, or a trusted organization.
We strongly encourage you to allow trusted organizations to add and update your employment affiliations with them on your ORCID record. They will then appear as the source of the information, enabling you and others to be confident that it is authoritative and trustworthy. As ORCID members, trusted organizations are also required to ensure that the information they add is in a format that can be easily shared with other organizations, saving you time when completing forms.
Not sure what affiliation type is right for you? Contact us -- we’re happy to provide more information!
Choose Membership when you are a member of a society or association (regardless of whether you pay for your membership). This subtype does not include honorary memberships and fellowships, which should be listed under Invited positions and Distinctions.
Examples of membership include:
- Member of an association or society
- Member of a trade or industry body
Choose Service for significant donations of your time, money, or other resources to an organization or community. This can also include voluntary work.
Examples of service include:
- Volunteer society officer
- Elected board position
- Standards body member
- Expert panel member
- Editorial board member
- Review editor
- Study group member
- Conference organizer
- Conference panel chair
- Committee work
- Project work
- Extension work
Add and edit membership or service affiliation information manually
To add a new membership or service affiliation, sign into your ORCID record, scroll to add membership or add service and select add manually.
In the pop-up, enter the name of the organization in the organization field. As you type it in, our system will automatically suggest options from a pre-populated list. Each organization is associated with one or more organization identifiers; and our system automatically returns the most common version of the organization’s name associated with the most common identifier in our system.
Select an option from this list whenever possible, because it will help improve the accuracy of data on your record, for example when searching ORCID by organization, or when other systems read your ORCID record to add information to their system -- such as when you are submitting a manuscript or applying for a grant.
If the name in the pre-populated list is not up to date, or not in the language that you prefer to use on your ORCID record, select the name from the list and then edit the Display organization field to update how the name will appear in your record.
You can choose who can read information about your invited position or distinctions using the visibility settings.
Fields in a membership or service affiliation
The fields in a membership or service affiliation are:
- Organization (required): The organization you are or were affiliated with.
Note: While some organization names include department level listings, we strongly recommend that you pick the highest level of the organization and provide departmental information in the department field.
- Display organization: The display name of the organization. This is how the organization’s name will appear on your ORCID record. It is automatically filled in based on the organization you select in Institution, and you can edit this field to change how it will appear on your ORCID record.
- City (required): City where the organization is located.
- State/region: The state/region of the organization.
- Country (required): The country or territory of the organization.
- Department: The subsection, field, or department related to the affiliation. For a service affiliation, this could be a panel, project, working group, journal, or other.
- Role/title: Be sure to include a descriptive title!
- Membership: The type of membership, e.g. Student member
- Service: The title of the role or description of the service, e.g. Facilitator.
- Start date: The start date of your relationship with the organization. For example, the date that you started your term as a board member. It is strongly encouraged to add at least a year to your membership or service affiliation to increase veracity.
- End date: The end date of your relationship with the organization. For example, the date that your society membership lapsed. If you are still involved with the organization, you do not need to supply an end date.
- URL: A website URL related to your membership in or service to the organization.
Help, my organization is not in the list!
Don’t see your organization listed? Don’t worry, it may still be there! You can try entering your organization’s name in another language, as the sources of our organization list may have used the original name or translated name in their listing. If you still cannot find your organization’s name, contact us and we’ll help you find the organization in our list -- or get your organization added.
Delete a membership or service affiliation
You can delete any affiliation on your ORCID record by signing into your personal ORCID record and selecting the delete icon (trash bin) on the lower right side of the affiliation.
We do not recommend deleting affiliations added by trusted organization. Having affiliations added by trusted organizations allow you to share accurate and authoritative information with other institutions and systems. If the affiliation is added incorrect or out of date, please let us know! We will get in touch with the organization and ask for their help updating your affiliation.