The Education and qualifications section of your ORCID record is for information about organizations where you have studied and/or that have awarded you an educational or professional qualification. You can add information about your education or qualifications you have received to your ORCID record manually, and we also strongly encourage you to grant trusted organizations and trusted individuals permission to add and edit information about your affiliation with them.
- Add or edit an education or qualification manually
- Delete an education or qualification
Education and Qualifications are types of affiliations on the ORCID record. They describe the formal education relationship between a person and an organization, either in an higher/tertiary education program, or in a professional or vocational training program. Each affiliation includes the organization’s name and location, the date that the affiliation started, and who added the information to your record: you, or a trusted organization.
We strongly encourage you to allow trusted organizations to add and update your education and qualification affiliations with them on your ORCID record. They will then appear as the source of the information, enabling you and others to be confident that it is authoritative and trustworthy. As ORCID members, trusted organizations are also required to ensure that the information they add is in a format that can be easily shared with other organizations, saving you time when completing forms.
Not sure what affiliation type is right for you? Contact us -- we’re happy to provide more information!
Choose education to add information about an academic higher education program. This can be in progress or unfinished (no listed end date). Items originally added to your ORCID record in the education section now appear in this section under the education subtype.
Examples of education include:
- Undergraduate degree
- Graduate degree
- Masters degree
- Doctorate degree
Choose qualification to add information about a professional or vocational accreditation, certification, or training program. This can be in progress or unfinished (no end date).
Examples of qualifications include:
- Professional and continuing education qualifications
- Professional and continuing education training
- Professional and continuing education certification
Add and edit an education or qualification affiliation manually
To add a new education or qualification affiliation, sign into your ORCID record, scroll to Education and qualifications and select Add qualification or Add education, then Add manually.
In the pop-up, enter the name of the organization in the organization field. As you type it in, our system will automatically suggest options from a pre-populated list. Each organization is associated with one or more organization identifiers; and our system automatically returns the most common version of the organization’s name associated with the most common identifier in our system.
Select an option from this list whenever possible, because it will help improve the accuracy of data on your record, for example when searching ORCID by organization, or when other systems read your ORCID record to add information to their system -- such as when you are submitting a manuscript or applying for a grant.
If the name in the pre-populated list is not up to date, or not in the language that you prefer to use on your ORCID record, select the name from the list and then edit the Display organization field to update how the name will appear in your record.
You can choose who can read information about your invited position or distinctions using the visibility settings.
Fields in an education or qualification affiliation
The fields in education and qualification affiliations are:
- Organization (required): The organization you are or were affiliated with.
Note: While some organization names include department level listings, we strongly recommend that you pick the highest level of the organization and provide departmental information in the department field.
- Display organization: The display name of the organization. This is how the organization’s name will appear on your ORCID record. It is automatically filled in based on the organization you select in Organization, and you can edit this field to change how it will appear on your ORCID record.
- City (required): City where the organization is located.
- State/region: The state/region of the organization.
- Country (required): The country or territory of the organization.
- Department: The subsection, field, or department related to the affiliation. For education, this could be the specific department, e.g. Music Theory.
- Education: Degree/title: The title, level, and result of the degree, eg: Bachelor of Arts
- Qualification: Course/title: The title or result of the course or professional certification, ex: Certificate in Legal Translation
- Start date (required): The start date of your relationship with the organization, e.g. the date that you started a degree program. The minimum information required is the year.
- End date: The end date of your relationship with the organization, e.g. the date that you were awarded your degree. If your studies or qualifications are not complete, you do not need to supply an end date.
- URL: A website URL related to your education or qualification, e.g. a link to your certificate on the organization’s website.
Help, my organization is not in the list!
Don’t see your organization listed? Don’t worry, it may still be there! You can try entering your organization’s name in another language, as the sources of our organization list may have used the original name or translated name in their listing. If you still cannot find your organization’s name, contact us and we’ll help you find the organization in our list -- or get your organization added.
Delete an education or qualification
You can delete any affiliation on your ORCID record by signing into your personal ORCID record and selecting the delete icon (trash bin) on the lower right side of the affiliation.
We do not recommend deleting affiliations added by trusted organization. Having affiliations added by trusted organizations allow you to share accurate and authoritative information with other institutions and systems. If the affiliation added is incorrect or out of date, please let us know! We will get in touch with the organization and ask for their help updating your affiliation.