The Employment section of your ORCID record is for information about your formal employment relationship with an organization, and the details about the organization.
- Add or edit an employment manually
- Delete an employment
Employment is a type of affiliation on the ORCID record that describes the formal employment relationship between a person and an organization. Examples of employment include:
- Faculty or staff
- Postgraduate researcher
- Society employee
- Other staff
Each affiliation includes the organization’s name and location, the start date for the affiliation, and who added the information to your record: you, or a trusted organization. We strongly encourage you to allow trusted organizations to add and update your employment affiliations with them on your ORCID record. They will then appear as the source of the information, enabling you and others to be confident that it is authoritative and trustworthy. As ORCID members, trusted organizations are also required to ensure that the information they add is in a format that can be easily shared with other organizations, saving you time when completing forms.
Not sure what affiliation type is right for you? Contact us -- we’re happy to provide more information!
To add a new employment affiliation, sign into your ORCID record, scroll to Add employment and select Add manually.
In the pop-up, enter the name of the organization in the organization field. As you type it in, our system will automatically suggest options from a pre-populated list. Each organization is associated with one or more organization identifiers; and our system automatically returns the most common version of the organization’s name associated with the most common identifier in our system.
Select an option from this list whenever possible, because it will help improve the accuracy of data on your record, for example when searching ORCID by organization, or when other systems read your ORCID record to add information to their system -- such as when you are submitting a manuscript or applying for a grant.
If the name in the pre-populated list is not up to date, or not in the language that you prefer to use on your ORCID record, select the name from the list and then edit the Display organization field to update how the name will appear in your record.
You can choose who can read information about your employment using the visibility settings.
The fields in employment affiliation are:
- Organization*: The organization who employs or previously employed you. This is a required field.
Note: While some organization names include department level listings, we strongly recommend that you pick the highest level of the organization and provide departmental information in the department field.
- Display organization: The display name of the organization. This is how the organization’s name will appear on your ORCID record. It is automatically filled in based on the organization you select in Institution, and you can edit this field to change how it will appear on your ORCID record.
- City*: City where the organization is located. This is a required field.
- State/region: The state/region of the organization.
- Country*: The country or territory of the organization. This is a required field.
- Department: The subsection, field, or department related to the affiliation. For employment, this could be the specific department, e.g. Music Theory.
- Role/title: Be sure to include a descriptive title when adding an affiliation! Include the role or job title, e.g. Intern.
- Start date: The start date of your relationship with the organization. For example, the date that you started a degree program. It is strongly encouraged, but not required, to add a start date.
- End date: The end date of your relationship with the organization, ie, the date that your employment there ended. If you are still employed by the organization, you do not need to provide an end date.
- URL: A website URL related to your employment with the organization.
Don’t see your organization listed? Don’t worry, it may still be there! You can try entering your organization’s name in another language, as the sources of our organization list may have used the original name or translated name in their listing. If you still cannot find your organization’s name, contact us and we’ll help you find the organization in our list -- or get your organization added.
You can delete any affiliation on your ORCID record by signing into your personal ORCID record and selecting the delete icon (trash bin) on the lower right side of the affiliation.
We do not recommend deleting employment affiliations added by trusted organization. Having affiliations added by trusted organizations allow you to share accurate and authoritative information with other institutions and systems. If the affiliation added is incorrect or out of date, please let us know! We will get in touch with the organization and ask for their help updating your affiliation.