The support.orcid.org website is on a UserVoice platform that has a different privacy policy from our other sites. You may view the details at http://support.orcid.org/tos
X

I suggest that...

Use ORCID as basis for permanent researcher email addressing (e.g. for contact email on papers)

A powerful use of ORCID could be as a persistent researcher email address, that we could use as contact email for our publications. That way other researchers could reach us as we (grad students, profs, corporate researchers) change our affiliations. Format could be <my_orcid>@orcid.org and/or <orcid_alias>@orcid.org. Emails would be re-directed to whatever we have in our records.

37 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    John S. EricksonJohn S. Erickson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  ORCID (APAC/MEA)AdminORCID (APAC/MEA) (Admin, ORCID) responded  · 

Thank you for your suggestion to improve the ORCID Registry.

After consideration, we have declined this feature request as it falls beyond our scope at this moment.

We may be able to revisit this as we further develop the ORCID Inbox feature.

Warm regards,
    ORCID Community Team

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Stuart RayStuart Ray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just a note to consider: one of the most painful aspects of publishing is that one's email immediately becomes common knowledge. If ORCID provided a solid, verifiable notification mechanism, then participating journals might stop displaying my email address in clear text for all the bots to see. This would also prevent authors from submitting "throw-away" email addresses - because they'd be expected to keep their ORCID records current.

Feedback and Knowledge Base