The support.orcid.org website is on a UserVoice platform that has a different privacy policy from our other sites. You may view the details at http://support.orcid.org/tos
X

I suggest that...

Sort entries in the education, employment and funding sections by end date instead of start date

If there are two or more concurrent grants, for example, sorting by end date usually produces a more reasonable order.

Consider the following situation:
Grant 1: $500 000, 01/2014 - 12/2016
Grant 2: $15 000, 12/2014-04/2015

Those are now displayed in the order Grant 2, Grant 1 and will be displayed this way even in mid-2016, when no one cares about Grant 2 anymore. The same is true for the tab education, where e.g. a short stay at a foreign university always pops to the top.

Sorting by end dates solves these issues, because the topmost entry is either the most recent item or the oldest and longest active item. When sorting by start date, however, you may easily end up with a topmost entry that is neither recent nor active.

When there are several "current" entries or entries with the same end date, this subgroup may still be sorted by start date.

13 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    David FronczekDavid Fronczek shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  ORCID (APAC/MEA)AdminORCID (APAC/MEA) (Admin, ORCID) responded  · 

Thanks again for your suggestion to improve the ORCID Registry.

We’re looking into this issue and would like to raise a question for your consideration. What do you think should be done in instances of open end dates? For example, an employment may be on an open-ended contract — should this be understood to be active and therefore floated to the top of the list?

Many thanks for your interest.

Warm regards,
    ORCID Community Team

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ORCID (APAC/MEA)AdminORCID (APAC/MEA) (Admin, ORCID) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have received this comment separately in response to this question:

after thinking about this issue, I would say yes: float entries without end date to the top. If several entries have no end date, they can still be sorted by their start date -- same for entries with identical end date, as suggested in the original post.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think anything open ended/current should be at the top of the list. From the active ones, I think sorting by start date works fine, although custom sorting (letting the user determine order) would be a bit more powerful.

Feedback and Knowledge Base