The support.orcid.org website is on a UserVoice platform that has a different privacy policy from our other sites. You may view the details at http://support.orcid.org/tos
X

I suggest that...

Need way for end user to export users own complete record (xml/yaml/json okay).

Need way for end user to export users own complete record (xml/yaml/json okay).

This is for archival/backup/data verification/comparision and other purposes.

Bonus points for also allowing an edited complete record to be uploaded to replace the current one.

Note: This is probably possible from the API, but there should be a visible user driven methos to do this.

18 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  ORCID (APAC)AdminORCID (APAC) (ORCID Community Team, ORCID) responded  · 

Thanks for this suggestion. As you mentioned, a user can access their ORCID record via the ORCID API- instructions on how to do that are at https://members.orcid.org/api/tutorial/read-orcid-records

We like your suggestion of offering a way to run this export in the user interface as well, but we will not be able to work on that right now. Our current priority is getting information into ORCID records and that’s where we’re focusing our development.

Best,
    -Catalina
    ORCID Support

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ORCID (APAC)AdminORCID (APAC) (ORCID Community Team, ORCID) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for your comment, anonymous.

Our BibTeX parser exports the standard identifiers in BibTeX: ISBN, DOIs, ISSNs. It does not include other identifiers as they are not supported.

ORCID is an open-source project that relies strongly on community support. We welcome your contributions to the improvement of our BibTeX parser: https://github.com/ORCID/bibtexParseJs

Warm regards,
        ORCID Community Team

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A somewhat smaller version of this suggestion: It would be great if one could export all information of the references in bibtex format, including the work indentifiers. Right now these are not included in the bibtex export, which is cumbersome if I want to import my own version of the references but including these work identifiers to get the references grouped appropriately. One could do this in custom bibtex fields, and one could include an option to chose whether do it or not for those who don't like it.

The application case I envision is the following: Export all bibtex entries including work identifiers. Import that into jabref. Use jabrefs great tool to merge the bitex entries from ORCID with mine, including the work identifiers. Import these References back to ORCID. Hoping that grouping then works like a charm and having a complete and up to date list.

The alternative is to manually find dublicates and merge them by manually copying the work identifiers over to my new entries. Not very attractive, since the ORCID GUI is slow and cumbersome compared to jabref on my computer.

This might be easier to do and helps getting information into ORCID records, which is your current priority. So I hope you could be persuaded to add that feature.

• Andy MabbettAndy Mabbett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this can be done via the API, then presumably there's nothing stopping a third party from providing this as a service - perhaps a contender for the next hackathon?

Feedback and Knowledge Base