The support.orcid.org website is on a UserVoice platform that has a different privacy policy from our other sites. You may view the details at http://support.orcid.org/tos
X

I suggest that...

Default "email" privacy level to "limited"

I am working in entegrating an external service to ORCID, by letting local users authenticate via ORCID's OAuth.
Since we keep track of user email address, it would be extremely handy if by default email addresses were available in ORCID's profile, so that third party services like ours could match local users with existing profiles.

42 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Samuele KaplunSamuele Kaplun shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  ORCID (APAC/MEA)AdminORCID (APAC/MEA) (Admin, ORCID) responded  · 

This is a great suggestion, but one that needs review before we can act on it. As ORCID is an international undertaking we have to comply with privacy regulations in numerous countries, some of which affect how we are able to share email address, even with trusted parties.

Warm regards,
    ORCID Community Team

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Samuele KaplunSamuele Kaplun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi! I saw this awesome functionality has been merged into the master code base lately. Do you have an estimate of when it will be deployed on production?

• Gerry LawsonGerry Lawson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd back this strongly - but would suggest that it can be decided on a country by country basis (and the country field should be mandatory for new registrants). I suggest this because Research Councils UK would like to use the ORCID API to collect 'public' and 'Restricted to RCUK' emails - which in turn we can use to allow researchers to be contacted from the RCUK "Gateway to Research System"

• Matthew CockerillMatthew Cockerill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree with this - conventionally researchers share their email address through their publications and through institutional addressbooks, so some level of default accessibility of email info (either public, or to members for lookup purposes) makes sense in terms of discoverability.

Feedback and Knowledge Base