The support.orcid.org website is on a UserVoice platform that has a different privacy policy from our other sites. You may view the details at http://support.orcid.org/tos
X

I suggest that...

list of supervised students/PhDs

Would it be possible to add a field for a "list of supervised students/PhDs" to his ORCID profile.

9 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jürgen Laudien shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    AdminORCID (APAC) (ORCID Community Team, ORCID) responded  · 

Thanks for your suggestion to improve the ORCID Registry.

Could you please share further information on how you would expect student/PhD supervision to work on the ORCID record? Could this be considered a type of “service” to an institution — as proposed for the new affiliation types? See here: https://orcid.org/blog/2017/10/19/expanding-affiliations-calling-community-comment

Warm regards,
    ORCID Community Team

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David Gonzalez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every addition to ORCID is marked with the origin of the info so there is no problem with "validity of the data". I think that maybe a short menu of options can be provided. For example PhD supervisor, MSc Supervisor, Postdoc supervisor, member of the evaluation committee, etc.

• AdminORCID (APAC) (ORCID Community Team, ORCID) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@J: Any data that an individual self-asserts is noted on the ORCID record -- the source will be listed as "Source: ORCID iD holder's name" in the user interface, and it will be listed as "source-orcid-id" in the API. If it is asserted by the organization which, for example, employed the individual as a researcher, then the source will be listed as "Source: Organization Name" in the user interface, and the organization's API client be listed as "source-orcid-client" in the API. This allows the parties reading the ORCID record to know who is the source of the data and consider that data accordingly.

• J. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The concept of supervision is complicated and probably various across countries. I believe it would be very important to clearly identify what should be recorded, e.g. main supervisor, co-supervisor, supervisory committee? If this gets manually entered by a professor who claims to have supervised student x identified through an ORCID ID (person-person relationship), would student x get to approve this and thus confirm that the relationship is correctly represented? Or does ORCID not worry about the validity of the data?

• Jürgen Laudien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The supervision of students may definitely be regarded as “service” to an institution if the researcher is not employed by the latter. But it may also be regarded as a duty. If not implemented under the new affiliation type “Membership and Service” a new category may be introduced, in my opinion this would have a comparable level as “funding”. Thus I'd suggest to sort it just before or after "works".

Warm regards ,
        Jürgen Laudien

• David Gonzalez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The profile shows education, jobs, projects, and works. For an ideal academic profile, it would be interesting if it also shows info related to human resources trained. Maybe links to Orcid id of former Ph.D. and postdocs students or a similar idea.

Feedback and Knowledge Base