The support.orcid.org website is on a UserVoice platform that has a different privacy policy from our other sites. You may view the details at http://support.orcid.org/tos
X

I suggest that...

BibTeX import feature should include a verbose error report

You make the bibtex import report errors when it reaches them.

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  AdminORCID (APAC) (ORCID Community Team, ORCID) responded  · 

Thanks for your suggestion to improve the ORCID Registry.

We have as flagged as a future improvement possibility adding more verbose error messages in response to BibTeX import issues. As we consider this feature, it would be helpful if you could suggest what information you would expect to see during the error report.

In addition, please note that generally we encourage you to import works using the machine-to-machine connections using our Search & Link wizards, such as Scopus, ResearcherID, EuropePubMed Central, and Crossref.

If you are experiencing problems with importing a specific BibTeX file, please get in touch with support@orcid.org and provide both the file as well as the system from which it was generated. There are some systems, such as EndNote, which require that you apply additional filters when generating the original BibTeX file, as those systems may include nonstandard or unsupported information in the BibTeX.

Thank you.

Warm regards,
    ORCID Community Team

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At the very least, the line number where the first error occurred! Better: description of that error. Not providing that is just ridiculous. Better still, line and character-range locations of all the errors, with descriptions of each.

I recently had to import a 3000-line bibtex file. The error turned out to be the use of an abbreviation which is defined in many .bst files but evidently not known to your parser. To find that one-line error, I had to incrementally try uploading many chunks of the file - this wasted a lot of time close to a critical deadline.

Machine-to-machine connections would be useless for this - and in any case, the database most used in my field is DBLP.

Feedback and Knowledge Base