The support.orcid.org website is on a UserVoice platform that has a different privacy policy from our other sites. You may view the details at http://support.orcid.org/tos
X

I suggest that...

Third box for filling in author's names

It would be a good idea to divide authors' names in three parts instead of two: for instance, Dutch authors often have insertions in their names: given name, insertion(s), last name. Insertions can be for instance "van", "de" or "van de", causing authors, as it is now, to be found under the V or D of the insertions instead of under the first letter of their last name. A solution could be a third or middle box, in which insertions can be filled in. That could also be used by people who want to use their middle name: alphabetizing for instance "John G. Field" and "Jan G. van den Akker" would give "Field, John G." and "Akker, Jan G. van den"; the correct forms. I understand that in ORCID filling in a last or family name is not required; in the same way such a third box for insertions could be set to not required.
I also posted this idea on Mendeley, hopefully that is no problem.

12 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    A. van Weerden shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  AdminORCID (EMEA) (Admin, ORCID) responded  · 

Thanks for your suggestion to improve the ORCID Registry.

We’re going to add this to our list of improvements to consider for the future and will update here accordingly.

Warm regards,
    ORCID Community Engagement and Support

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • A. van Weerden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the meantime, someone suggested a much better solution: suppose it would be possible to first choose a name format by choosing a country? Selecting a country would adjust the boxes to fill in, and the database then takes care of the rest: knowing which country's format is chosen, it knows how to alphabetize and address people.

• A. van Weerden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Although it is a bit sad that I comment myself, I would like to argue that if ORCID (as I read in a comment to another idea) wants to "work with the community to integrate this identifier into key research and scholarly workflows to ensure that a researcher’s work can be distinguished and correctly attributed. Ultimately, this reduces the amount of time you spend updating records in various systems (including in profile systems)" it should be possible to have the correct forms of our names in ORCID. It is costing me a lot of time already to bring this problem to the surface, and after almost giving up I started again when I was addressed by a system linked to ORCID as:"Dear Ms Weerden, van" (which is wrong :) -- Anne van Weerden

Feedback and Knowledge Base