The support.orcid.org website is on a UserVoice platform that has a different privacy policy from our other sites. You may view the details at http://support.orcid.org/tos
X

I suggest that...

API v2.0 be allowed to update the biography as API v1.2 currently can

We're beginning a project asked for by our academics to allow them to have an on campus "research hub" that can then push details of their publications, funding, etc out to the myriad of different third party services they use, including ORCID. As part of the early stage development of this I've got some code running the successfully updates a user's biography in ORCID via the v1.2 API in the sandbox. Works well.

I've now read that API v1.2 will be retired later in 2017, so tried to move my code to API v2.0 in the sandbox. Unfortunately in v2.0 the biography is marked as "read only" so I can't update it via the API any more.

Could this functionality that would be useful to our academics and which is currently in v1.2 please be put back into v2.0?

4 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    J.P.KnightJ.P.Knight shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  ORCID (APAC/MEA)AdminORCID (APAC/MEA) (ORCID Community Team, ORCID) responded  · 

Thanks for your suggestion to improve upcoming versions of the ORCID API.

Unlike most other parts of the ORCID record, the biography is a single field — it hasn’t a put code as it exists only in the singular. So to update it, your system would need to fully overwrite the biography, potentially removing what the user has already input.

The rationale behind not having the biography field be editable by any party other than the user is the same as why users cannot edit data that a client application has added: only the source of the data should be able to edit that data.

Could you provide some suggestions for consideration of how this could benefit users and workflows that could work for all parties?

Thank you.

Warm regards,
    ORCID Community Team

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon