The support.orcid.org website is on a UserVoice platform that has a different privacy policy from our other sites. You may view the details at http://support.orcid.org/tos
X

I suggest that...

Making "affiliation" more general

We are considering adding "affiliation" as a general term to describe the relationship between an organization and an individual and would welcome your feedback on this suggestion.

In the longer term this could be the top level of a hierarchy to describe an individual's relationship with an organization (affiliation = education, employment, membership (?), other?).

This would allow us to group all places together in the same way as "works" is already used as a single category.

54 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ORCIDAdminORCID (ORCID Community Engagement and Support Team, ORCID) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't seem to be able to find the corresponding feature in the current implementation. Thanks!

• Owen StephensOwen Stephens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think there are situations where a system integrated with ORCID will know that there is an affiliation but not know whether this is through employment or education.

For example an institutional repository may be used by both staff and students (e.g. for deposit of publications and theses respectively), but may not differentiate between these types of users in the system.

In this case I think the ability to make some statement of affiliation is better than saying nothing. At the moment this isn't possible - the system would have to ascertain the type of affiliation if it is to update the ORCID record at all

• ORCID (APAC)AdminORCID (APAC) (ORCID Community Team, ORCID) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pleased to share that we aim to create a community working group (https://orcid.org/about/community ) to consider this and other issues related to the types of research outputs and engagement and how they should be recognized on the ORCID record. Watch our blog for the announcement!

[edit] The working group has been put on hold for the time being. We are working on more internally to revamp affiliations, and hope to share more on this soon.

Warm regards,
        ORCID Community Team

Many researchers are interested in listing their supervisory work. The space under biography has a word limit. Would you consider an option of either extending the biography section, or creating a new section in which to list supervisory work.

I would clearly support this suggestion. A researcher is not always "employed" by the university where she performs research but can still be part of a university research group. E.g., clinical researchers are in many countries employed by the university hospital which is a different organisational entity. Scientific articles usually talk about author affiliations and ORCID should do the same and call it affiliations rather than employments.

• delphine.potierdelphine.potier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to be able to add explanation for an unemployment period in the "employment" section (In my case a maternity leave between two postdocs)

• ORCIDAdminORCID (ORCID Community Engagement and Support Team, ORCID) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

This idea hasn't been abandoned, but it's not currently being worked on so I'll move the status back to under review. When we launched the Education and Employment Sections we decided not to add professional associations at that time but to leave the option open for possible future development. I'll update the status again once we make a final decision.

Best,
        -Catalina
        ORCID Support

• Dagmar M. MeyerDagmar M. Meyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I was wondering whether there is any update on this idea from November 2012 that would allow ORCID users to add professional memberships and roles to their profile. Is this still under developme or has it been abandoned? I don't seem to be able to find the corresponding feature in the current implementation. Thanks!

• Steven WerkheiserSteven Werkheiser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow them to select from a standardised list of associations or societies of which they are members to add to affiliation section. You could also give an option to indicate leadership position and years associated with that position and a link to the society website where other users could view mission/goals/membership benefits. It could help in discerning one profile from another and help societies promote membership and possible get societies to drive more enrolment in the ORCID program.

Feedback and Knowledge Base