The support.orcid.org website is on a UserVoice platform that has a different privacy policy from our other sites. You may view the details at http://support.orcid.org/tos
X

I suggest that...

Review of work categories and types

There have been several ideas related to the current work categories and types on the ORCID record and suggestions for addition and improvement. This thread will combine these ideas together, as well as serving as a place to discuss additional suggested categories or work types.

By way of background: The current listing of work types (see https://members.orcid.org/api/supported-work-types) is sourced from the CASRAI Output Standards. We would now like to open a discussion about the best approach to adding future work categories and types with the ORCID Community, through our iDeasForum.

Thank you for your suggestions to improve the ORCID Registry.

165 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AdminORCID (APAC) (ORCID Community Team, ORCID) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

56 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • chancp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Recently I have been helping faculty from our Creative Writing Programme get set up with ORCID.

They would like to see more options that cater for creative writing in the publication work category, specifically:

An option for novels, distinct from books
        An option for poetry books, again distinct from the current book option
        An option for poems published in journals, distinct from journal articles

• David González-Santana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi I am a PhD student in Chemical oceanography. Could you please consider adding a "Cruises" or "Field Work" section? It will be useful for any oceanographer, some geologists, technicians...
        Cheers
        David

• Mieneke van der Salm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could you add a publication category for blog posts, for example:

Work category: Publication
        Work type: Blog post
        Title:
        Author(s):
        Blog:
        Publishing organization/institution: (e.g. North Carolina State University)
        Publication date:
        URL:

Our university now has numerous institutional blogs were our researchers contribute (not to mention things such as The Conversation and LSE impact blog) and those posts are also counted as outreach etc. but right now they either don't add them to their ORCID or add them as other-other. It would be great if they could just categorise them as a blog post.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the response! I think that an extension article should be specified within the publication category as its own work type. Extension work differs from research output in the fact that they often do not actually discuss any research.

As an example, say I'm going to a farm or greenhouse to help diagnose crop problems. On this grower visit, I might find that a crop displaying a certain type of symptom for which there are no easily accessible resources for the grower to diagnose the problem (disease, nutrient deficiency, etc.) on their own. I would then run tests to diagnose the and confirm the problem and write up an extension publication addressing the problem, factors that can cause this problem, treatments, if applicable, and other pertinent information.

These types of publications are often a combination of report, review, and newsletter formats. They simply are their own type of publication. Many of these publications are available online as free pdf files hosted through either a university, government, or non-profit webpage. They often have various alphanumeric volume and issue/article number/edition formats but typically do not have a doi or other mainstream identifier. I believe that an extension format could include the following:

Work category: Publication
        Work type: Extension Publication
        Title:
        Author(s):
        Publishing organization/institution: (e.g. North Carolina State University)
        Volume:
        Issue number:
        Pages:
        Publication date:
        URL:

To see some examples of extension publications released from my group at North Carolina State University, please view the following webpages:
        https://e-gro.org/alerts17.php
        https://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/floriculture/cfr/index.html

Thank you so much for your consideration. Let me know if there are any other details I can provide.

• Roland Kraemer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A category of interviews/media appearances in the 'works' section or separately so far cannot be adequately added since it is not listet under publications nor under 'other'

Hi,
        I'm a PhD student in Horticultural Science. I put out a lot of extension articles, and I feel that the format for entering articles could be improved to include an area marked specifically for extension/outreach/technical work. Any improvements in this area would be great especially for those who work in public and agricultural academia.

Thanks!

• António de Castro Caeiro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is no entry for audiovisuals, film, TV shows and programs or even for Radio programs and podcasts. I think It would help if you have an entry where one could fill in those possibilities.

• Lauren Di Monte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the Supported Work Types document the subcategory "Journal Article" is defined as a refereed article. Can you add a different category for non-refereed works?

• Isabel R. Amorim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please consider adding:

Conference - oral communication

Conference - oral communication by invitation

Conference - organization

• Katrin Leinweber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please consider adding "software"! DataCite's latest schema already supports software versioning -- https://schema.datacite.org/meta/kernel-4.1/ -- and https://www.force11.org/software-citation-principles is also a year old by now. Moreover, Zenodo can be connected to GitHub repos for years now -- https://guides.github.com/activities/citable-code/ -- making DOIs for software releases as simple as probably at all possible.

• Mohamed Mehaina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I suggest that the following sub categories are to be added to the "publications" section:
        1- Atlases
        2- Maps
        3- Guides

• Andrew Dunning commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Displaying the work types as 'journal-article', 'book-chapter', etc. makes this look as if it was designed to be read by a computer rather than a human. Could you change these to display as 'Journal Article', 'Book Chapter', and so forth?

• A.L. Carson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a part of our overall ORCID promotion and educational outreach, my institution is committed to promoting ORCID to our graduate students. One aspect of this promotion focuses on the ProQuest Electronic Thesis and Dissertation submission workflow: since there is a field for an ORCID identifier, this is a natural place to educate students about what ORCID is and why they should sign up. While exploring how best to include ORCID into the ETD process, however, we realized that "thesis" is not a work type in ORCID.
        Since the difference between a dissertation and a thesis is non-trivial, and "supervised student publication" seems to exclude theses, this appears to be a significant omission. Having "thesis" as a work type, we believe, would remove a barrier and incentivize use of the ORCID profile (not just signing up for an ID) among our students. Accordingly, we strongly recommend adding "thesis" as a work type.

• Eva Borger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was about to suggest the same, but Julia Kuehns already hit the nail on the head. I had several of our Humanities researchers suggesting/ asking if it was possible to link other types of works in three main categories.

1) books which are not strictly scholarly, but maybe based on a scholars' work. Especially if such publications or TV/ radio contributions are based on a thesis or paper, they are a very effective way to achieve wider impact and translation of the research that has been done.

2) online or radio publications/ performances which can be academic but are not currently citable if there are no proceedings, e.g. talks on web conferences or podcasts, interviews (!),additions to blogs

3) attendance at meetings/ conferences. This might not be an "output" in the direct sense but is often an integral part of what researchers do as part of networking, outreach and taking part in a wider discussion. I heard of the "share my ID" development. Would that be something that could be useful in this context?

• Egon Willighagen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like to see a preprint category where I can include which server/service I uploaded the preprint (bioRxiv, arXiv, PeerJ Preprints, etc).

On behalf of the researchers at my institutions, I would like to support the suggestion of Julia Kuehns. Creative work as a work category would allow people in creative writing, and perhaps even composition, to have a satisfying means of recording their academic outputs in a meaningful way.

• Andy Mabbett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just a note that my June 2016 comment, about Wikidata IDs, was originally posted as a separate suggestion, under the heading "Add Wikidata as an identifier type for works", and has been merged here.

• Terkan Tokan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Blog posts in particular are, I submit, covered by work type:online resource.

One thing unique about online resources, reports etc. is that they remain open for editing by the author. There is thus no single date for them. I've been dealing with this by leaving the date field empty, but a date option 'continuing' would be clearer.

Work type "Letter to the Editor" could easily be misconstrued. Might I suggest "Academic Communication" or something similar?

https://gifamerica.com/favicon.png

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base