The support.orcid.org website is on a UserVoice platform that has a different privacy policy from our other sites. You may view the details at http://support.orcid.org/tos
X

I suggest that...

Review of work categories and types

There have been several ideas related to the current work categories and types on the ORCID record and suggestions for addition and improvement. This thread will combine these ideas together, as well as serving as a place to discuss additional suggested categories or work types.

By way of background: The current listing of work types (see https://members.orcid.org/api/supported-work-types) is sourced from the CASRAI Output Standards. We would now like to open a discussion about the best approach to adding future work categories and types with the ORCID Community, through our iDeasForum.

Thank you for your suggestions to improve the ORCID Registry.

138 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ORCID (APAC)AdminORCID (APAC) (ORCID Community Team, ORCID) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

43 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • A.L. CarsonA.L. Carson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a part of our overall ORCID promotion and educational outreach, my institution is committed to promoting ORCID to our graduate students. One aspect of this promotion focuses on the ProQuest Electronic Thesis and Dissertation submission workflow: since there is a field for an ORCID identifier, this is a natural place to educate students about what ORCID is and why they should sign up. While exploring how best to include ORCID into the ETD process, however, we realized that "thesis" is not a work type in ORCID.
        Since the difference between a dissertation and a thesis is non-trivial, and "supervised student publication" seems to exclude theses, this appears to be a significant omission. Having "thesis" as a work type, we believe, would remove a barrier and incentivize use of the ORCID profile (not just signing up for an ID) among our students. Accordingly, we strongly recommend adding "thesis" as a work type.

• Eva BorgerEva Borger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was about to suggest the same, but Julia Kuehns already hit the nail on the head. I had several of our Humanities researchers suggesting/ asking if it was possible to link other types of works in three main categories.

1) books which are not strictly scholarly, but maybe based on a scholars' work. Especially if such publications or TV/ radio contributions are based on a thesis or paper, they are a very effective way to achieve wider impact and translation of the research that has been done.

2) online or radio publications/ performances which can be academic but are not currently citable if there are no proceedings, e.g. talks on web conferences or podcasts, interviews (!),additions to blogs

3) attendance at meetings/ conferences. This might not be an "output" in the direct sense but is often an integral part of what researchers do as part of networking, outreach and taking part in a wider discussion. I heard of the "share my ID" development. Would that be something that could be useful in this context?

• Egon WillighagenEgon Willighagen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like to see a preprint category where I can include which server/service I uploaded the preprint (bioRxiv, arXiv, PeerJ Preprints, etc).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On behalf of the researchers at my institutions, I would like to support the suggestion of Julia Kuehns. Creative work as a work category would allow people in creative writing, and perhaps even composition, to have a satisfying means of recording their academic outputs in a meaningful way.

• Andy MabbettAndy Mabbett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just a note that my June 2016 comment, about Wikidata IDs, was originally posted as a separate suggestion, under the heading "Add Wikidata as an identifier type for works", and has been merged here.

• Terkan TokanTerkan Tokan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Blog posts in particular are, I submit, covered by work type:online resource.

One thing unique about online resources, reports etc. is that they remain open for editing by the author. There is thus no single date for them. I've been dealing with this by leaving the date field empty, but a date option 'continuing' would be clearer.

Work type "Letter to the Editor" could easily be misconstrued. Might I suggest "Academic Communication" or something similar?

https://gifamerica.com/favicon.png

• Tiago Gonzaga VideiraTiago Gonzaga Videira commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the area of Musicology, composition or Artistic studies a crucial part of Publications refers to edited musical works (sheet music editions), that are not regulated neither by ISBN nor DOI, but ISMN (http://www.ismn-international.org/). I have several music editions that I cannot link nor identify, and I supose my other peers from related areas.

I propose the creation of the item "Music Edition" inside "publications" along with books or journals, since these specific items differ from performances or CDs for instance.

• ORCID (APAC)AdminORCID (APAC) (ORCID Community Team, ORCID) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for your suggestion to improve the ORCID Registry.

We'd like to get your thoughts on how this could be implemented. The weightiness of one type over another may differ between user. How might the relative importance of work types be measured? Would users be able to go through the list of all work types and set their preferred display?

• Andrew DunningAndrew Dunning commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be incredibly useful if not only the full list of CASRAI output types could be implemented, but indeed everything found in their academic CV profile at <http://dictionary.casrai.org/CV_-_Full_Academic>. This would allow ORCID to become a truly interoperable system for applying to funding, jobs, etc., and listing all types of one's outputs (e.g. linking to a website for a new course designed, instead of merely listing this as an online resource).

• Andrew DunningAndrew Dunning commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's difficult to pick out the most significant items from a list of works on an ORCID profile. Listing items by type sorts the categories alphabetically, which often puts a mass of conference papers at the top of the list. Viewers are most likely to be interested in seeing books first, followed by journal articles, book chapters, and then everything else. It would be helpful if you could modify the sort to follow the relative importance of the type categories, and make this the default view for public profiles. It would be even better if the items could be sorted under broader headings, as the list at https://members.orcid.org/api/supported-work-types does.

• Andy MabbettAndy Mabbett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm surprised by this request. I sat on the "ORCID works metadata working group" in 2013, and we made (at my suggestion) the recommendation [1]:

"Users should be able to add additional type-in values for this field when needed; ORCID should work with published ontology[2] to add popular typed-in values to the published ontology/ vocabulary"

The reasoning behind this approach is that it will capture the "missing" types that are most commonly used in the real word, rather than those which we think are important (or, with due respect to colleagues posting here, those favoured by people who happen to comment.

If the method for implementing the recommendation - which, I understood, was accepted - is not clear, I'll be happy to elaborate. Please contact me directly if so.

[1] http://www.slideshare.net/ORCIDSlides/orcid-works-metadata-working-group-recommendations - third bullet-point under "Work Types", page 2.

[2] i.e. CASRAI

• Julia KuehnsJulia Kuehns commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can I suggest a category "Creative Work"? At the moment, from what I can see the only possible category is Work Category: Other -> Artistic/Performance - for our academics working in creative writing, say, this is not very accurate or satisfying. Including this category in Work Category: Publication would also acknowledge creative works such as poems, short stories or novels as academic research output.

• John SankeyJohn Sankey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about professional awards? Honorary degrees can be put under education, but many awards confer a prestige well in excess of any associated funding, or involve no funding at all.

Another of my work types that isn't covered well is brochures that have been refereed (in my case by the local health authority and municipal government) and published. For the moment I'm calling them 'reports', but they take at least 10x the effort per word of any real report I've written!

Blog posts in particular are, I submit, covered by work type:online resource.

One thing unique about online resources, reports etc. is that they remain open for editing by the author. There is thus no single date for them. I've been dealing with this by leaving the date field empty, but a date option 'continuing' would be clearer.

Work type "Letter to the Editor" could easily be misconstrued. Might I suggest "Academic Communication" or something similar?

Is there a difference between "policy publications" etc and reports? I've been using the latter.

Since retiring I've been publishing my research work online on my own site as stand-alone web pages. So far I've been listing them as work category:Publication and work type:Report. A work type "online publication" or something similar would be more appropriate for this work.

• Samuele KaplunSamuele Kaplun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

What I actually meant is just a suggestion for UI/UX: for profiles having a disproportionate number of item in a given work type, but with also items in other types, it could be good to initally display the different items by grouped by work types, and having the worktypes folded.

E.g. see the mock up: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzqNlK0s7EOTbTlyRHVlOENjTFU

Cheers,
        Samuele

• Samuele KaplunSamuele Kaplun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently, in the web interface, works are presented one after the other with few option for sorting.
        Since we are soon going to integrate pushing Dataset to profiles of our author, it would be great if works could be initially displayed in an aggregated way, so that, for profiles having many datasets, these are not cluttering the list of publications.

E.g. take: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-8635-8390
        This profile has an entry per chemical element, and its visualization is almost impossible to complete.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base