The support.orcid.org website is on a UserVoice platform that has a different privacy policy from our other sites. You may view the details at http://support.orcid.org/tos
X

ORCID iDeas Forum

Thanks for your ideas. The process to turn an idea into an active part of the ORCID Registry is described in the article How are new features decided? (see link) While we want to get to every suggestion, our limited staff time means that some features will have to wait until future development cycles. We look forward to reading your ideas.

I suggest that...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Reduce page reloads for version edits

Currently editing record data is a pretty tedious task, because each single edit reloads the whole recordset. Even if an editing is canceled, the page will reloaded anyway.

I guess the point of the reloading is to make sure new/edited identifiers are merged. Probably this could be done in a more dynamic way with Javascript?

Or how about one of these:

- Don't reload if no identifier was added/changed
    - Just make the user aware that mergings will only be executed on a page reload (like with a popup/floating message á la "Press to load updated record view")

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  ORCID User Interface Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion.
      This is a grat idea!

However, this development will be in our long term planning, unfortunately, right now we just don’t have the staff to make this suggestion happened so it will be postponed for now.

Warm regards,
      ORCID Community Engagement and Support

• Import in formats other than BibTeX

It would be nice to be able to import publications in formats other than BibTeX. While at the moment I'm thinking specifically of Medline (the only format I can export my NCBI bibliography in), that as well as several other formats such as EndNote, RefMan, etc. are common and well documented, should be relatively easy to add, and may not suffer from the problems others are reporting for BibTeX imports.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Research Activities-Works  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. The way imports in ORCID work is we link with third party systems or databases to import information, and as part of that import the information is transformed from it’s local XML format to ORCID Messages XML. We don’t offer any tools that user to directly load information in any XML format.

Linking with other systems to either push or pull data is not something ORCID can do unilaterally. Systems integration requires that we establish a partnership with the other organization.

• changing the order of entries under education

As far as I can see, the only options to order entries under 'education' are by 'date' (which here means 'start date') or 'title'. It would be nice if one could sort entries individually (dragging entries up and down the list, for example), or - as a minimum - if one could sort entries by 'completion date' rather than 'start date'.

For example, I did my PhD from 1994-1998, and in between completed a Master during a year abroad (1995-1996). Since the start date of the Master was after the start date of the PhD, the Master now features at…

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  * Biographical Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I’m marking this as postponed as it won’t be something we can get to in the near future. While we agree a way to manually sort information on records would be useful, the development work required to make that happen is significant and we’re currently focused on other new features for the ORCID Registry.

Best,
          -Catalina
          ORCID Support

• Work with diacritics

It would appear useful if the search is able to provide additionally to exactly given names also their equivalents after converting diacritics to the 'basic' characters. Example: Eliáš --> Elias. This may be tried automatically or offered to the user for filling in a special, new field. I would like to have the exact names in the database and in the same time to be found by people skipping such a detail like a vs. á. Thanks & Best Regards, Mojmír Eliáš (Mojmir Elias)

4 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

This is a great suggestion, it’s just not one we’re able to address in the immediate future. We’re currently working on releasing a a number of new features to the ORCID registry before the end of the year, and we don’t have the developer time to devote to redesigning our search right now. However, we really like your suggestion and will try to get to it when we have more time. (As a start-up ORCID has limited staff, so it can be hard for us to get to every project as soon as we would like to.)

Best,
            -Catalina

• Last Update Date

Place a last updated date in the personal ORCID Profile, so a user can view the date of the last update to a particular ORCID Profile. And not just an API.

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  ORCID Record - Personal Information  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a good suggestion and one we could do. It’s not high on our development list as we’re really focused on new functionality now, so I’m marking the idea as postponed, but we will get to it after completing our current projects. As you noted, this information is currently available if you use the API (member or public) to retrieve an ORCID record.

Best,
              -Catalina
              ORCID Support

• Add unique identifiers for error response types in the API

When using the API to create a new ORCID I might occasionally receive a 400 response with "User with this email already exist." in the <error-desc/>. I'm worried that this text may not be stable, and would prefer each error condition to have a unique identifier (e.g. "email-already-used").

In this particular case, it would also be worthwhile to be told which email address is already in use so we can inform the user that they already have an ORCID registered with that email address.

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  API Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adding unique identifiers for error response is a great idea. Unfortunately it’s not one we’ll be able to take on soon as we have a lot of error messages and limited staff who are all working on other projects adding new functionality to the Registry. I’m making this as postponed for that reason.

As for the second part of your idea, we are planning to have the API return an ORCID iD, if you try and create a record with an existing email address, and with our new messaging system you’ll then be able to contact the researcher.

Best,
                -Catalina
                ORCID Support

• Contact person button

I think that you need the ability to have a "Contact Researcher" button that will send an email to the researcher - without exposing their email address to the world.
                I am matching people who have "claimed" research datasets in Research Data Australia with their ORCID and am finding many where I feel the claim is perhaps not valid and I would like to be able to contact the researcher to see if they would like to verify their claim to the datasets.

6 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Managing Privacy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a great idea thanks. We’re starting to work on a way for members to contact researchers, however there are a number of pieces that need to be put into place first, such as contact settings for researchers. who is allowed to contact them, etc as well as building the tool itself. While we are thinking about something like this it is not in our immediate development time frame, so I’ve marked the iDea as postponed until we can actively start work.

• add an icon on home page

just set up in the home page an 'UPLOAD' icon so we can upload our inventions, patents, grants research accomplished, publications from our desk top.

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Research Activities-Works  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. At this time ORCID can only import structured metadata that is provided by our members (such as those listed under Import Works). While we hope to be able to build a tool to let user’s add work information in bulk, our main focus now is making links with other systems, including more system to allow for the automatic import or works.

Best,
                    -Catalina
                    ORCID Support

• Improve acessibiity of the website by increasing text/ background contrast

The pale-grey in white text of the website, and the grey-on grey of the search bar, are almost unreadable to me. The contrast between the foreground and background colours fails to meet basic web accessibility criteria (WCAG 2.0). Please change the colours/ shades so that the text is more easy to read. I can advise further if required.

2 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      1 comment  ·  ORCID User Interface Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Andy,

Thanks for the suggestion. You’re not the first one to asked for increase contrasted on the ORCID site, though this design did go through extensive testing with the original webdesign team.

Unfortunately, right now we just don’t have the staff to make large scale changes to the website design. Next year we’re hoping to have the budget to hire a webdesign firm to help with a major overhaul to the ORCID website which will include reevaluating our font and color choices.

For now I’m marking this idea as postponed which will give you your votes back until we can actually start work on this.

Best,
                      -Catalina
                      ORCID Support

• Twitter Link

Link ORCiD to Twitter account.

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Connections with other systems  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Creating a verified link between your ORCID account and a Twitter account (like you can currently do with Scopus and ResearcherID) would need work from developers at both Twitter and ORCID, which isn’t feasible at this time. But what you can do is add a link to your twitter account as a URL under the Personal Information section of your record. More information on how this works is at http://support.orcid.org/knowledgebase/articles/187920-add-information-website-user#Personal

• What about considering Teaching Credits and Referee Work too?

Most of the teaching credits can be easily verified/uploaded using official protocol numbers released by Universities or other Academical Institutions.

I am not sure the same could be done for referee work...?

17 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Adding an option for teaching credits is a really interesting idea, but it’s not in our current scope. Right now we are focused on planned functionality (like grants and patents) and improving integrations between ORCID and other systems. Once we have that complete we can look at additional options to include, like teaching credits.

I’ve passed on your idea about referee work to our Metadata Working Group, they are reevaluating the options we list for role in a work and can consider adding Referee there.

Thanks for great suggestion,
                          -Catalina
                          ORCID Support

• Make ORCID User Stats real time

Particularly with the launch of your Ambassador program, when there is an active phase of getting individual-research and institutional buy-in, a motivator would be to see a "live" feed of numbers of ORCID users here: https://orcid.org/statistics E.g., I have encouraged many to register in the last few weeks, but the numbers on your page have remained static. I think the new users and Ambassadors would be motivated by the feedback of seeing the numbers rise as a result of their registration and/or evangelization.

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  ORCID User Interface Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. We’d love to make our stats real time too, but doing so is a large drain on our servers and slows down the Registry. That’s why we’re just updating them once a week now. But we do hope to provide real time statistics in the future so I’ve marked this idea as post-posted.

Best,
                            -Catalina
                            ORCID Support

• 1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              2 comments  ·  Connections with other systems  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. We like the idea of exporting ORCID records in many formats including HTML, but it is outside of our current scope. Right now we’re focused on building more connections between ORCID and other system and completing planned functionality, like grants and affiliations. I’ve marked this idea as postponed since we won’t be able to get to it in the near future, but we will reconsider it once we’ve accomplished our immediate goals.

Thanks,
                              -Catalina
                              ORCID Support

• It would be great to group the publications in different categories:books, journals and congress

For application of certain grants they only want journal publications rather than books. Therefore it would be greate to have the posibility to group the publications in 3 diferent categories:
                              journals ( full length, letters, reviews...etc)
                              books( chapters etc...)
                              congress( posters, oral presentations...etc)

4 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • FOAF

Lots of FOAF records are available and give lots of possible deconfliction options, e.g. foaf:knows, etc. e.g. http://wiki.foaf-project.org/w/Autodiscovery

Perhaps FOAF export?

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  ORCID Record - Personal Information  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Make manual seach happen

Sorry but adding the info about your papers manually seems really backwards, I will leave this site now. What a waste of time.
                                  Why can't I add articles with the pubmed ID or DOI and that then grabs all the info?

14 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    2 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You have a great suggestion, but one that is hard to build as it involves searching and transferring data between multiple databases. While we hope to build better import tools soon, they are not on our current development plan. For now we suggest you look at CrossRef’s new search tool at http://search-dev.labs.crossref.org/. It will let you search by DOI and has an option to import result into your ORCID record.

• Track ORCID updates of coauthors

Basically, when one of your update their ORCID, you can evaluate if you want to update yours as well with their same entry.

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  ORCID User Interface Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This feature, or something similar is on our long term plan. The ORCID Registry does allow for the capture of ORCID iDs of co-authors and we plan to build more functionality around this. But right now we are focused on fixing bugs and basic functionality (like affiliations and grants). We will come back to this idea once we’re achieved our immediate goals.

• RSS ORCID ID works

¿Will be possible to create an RSS in the ORCID ID profile works?. That will be abble to integrate our works in ORCID for blogs, web, etc.

6 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        3 comments  ·  ORCID Record - Personal Information  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks to everyone for their interest.

This is not currently on our development plan at the time.

A team member has created an open-source applications that you can use to generate a lists of works on an ORCID record. Find it at https://github.com/ORCID/orcid-js

In addition, a member of the community has shared their own application to generate data from a specified ORCID record using fetch(): https://github.com/mikecrabb/ORCID.js

Warm regards,
                                        The ORCID Team

• Honour q parameter in accept headers

This is a bit of a nitpick tbh.

The API does not honour the q parameter on accept headers. It will incorrectly return return application/orcid+xml when sent Accept headers in the form:

curl -H 'Accept: application/orcid+json, */*;q=0.1' 'http://pub.orcid.org/search/orcid-bio?q=digital-object-ids:10.1087/20120404';

It's fairly easy to get around by ONLY accepting application/orcid+json but some clients (like jQuery ajax) will add the */*;q=0.1 to the accept types by default even when you ask them to accept only a certain mime type.

(at least that's my reading of how accept headers should work http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html - I'm happy to be corrected here)

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          1 comment  ·  API Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a great suggestion and something we’d like to fix, but I’m not sure when we will have the time to get to it. Right now the ORCID team is focused on fixing major bugs and rolling out promised features and we won’t be able to address this suggestion for many months. But we appreciate the feedback and do want to implement your suggestion; I’m marking this idea as postponed until we are able to add it to our development timeline.

• Add a field for a conflict of interest disclosure

Allow researchers to upload form such as the ICMJE COI disclosure or something similar

2 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  ORCID Record - Personal Information  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base