The support.orcid.org website is on a UserVoice platform that has a different privacy policy from our other sites. You may view the details at http://support.orcid.org/tos
X

ORCID iDeas Forum

Thanks for your ideas. The process to turn an idea into an active part of the ORCID Registry is described in the article How are new features decided? (see link) While we want to get to every suggestion, our limited staff time means that some features will have to wait until future development cycles. We look forward to reading your ideas.

I suggest that...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Combine citation data from multiple sources to make a master source

By letting users link to other sources of their citation metrics, and combining them while accounting for double-ups, ORCID could become the "one true source" for the most comprehensive and reliable researcher metrics (h-index, i10-index, citation numbers, average journal impact factor, etc).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Connections with other systems  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion, but right now ORCID does include not include citation counts, h-indexes, journal impact factors, etc. We may expand to include this at a later time, but for now our focus is on creating unique identifiers for researchers and integrating those identifiers into other systems.

• Let us export to XML formatted using CCV’s Schema

The Common CV is required by all major Canadian granting agencies.

Enabling export from ORCID to XML formatted using CCV’s Schema would save many Canadian researchers valuable time.

https://ccv-cvc.ca/researcher-help-en.htm

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Connections with other systems  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You can currently export ORCID records in the ORCID Messages XML Schema using the API see (https://members.orcid.org/api/tutorial/read-orcid-records for more information). After exporting your ORCID record in that format you could transform it into CCV or any other schema. However, given the huge number of schema used in the many countries that use ORCID, we just don’t have the time to build tools that export ORCID records in other formats.

Thanks for the suggestion.
        -Catalina
        ORCID Support

• 1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Research Activities-Works  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As it’s been a few months without an update on this iDea I’m going to close it. If you still have suggestions please add them as new iDeas.

Can you tell me more about what features you would like to see to be more specific? We’d love to hear your ideas, but we need more information about what you would like to see before we can consider it.

Thanks,
          -Catalina
          ORCID Support

• Enable researchers search to link profiles and location

Is it possible to search other researchers by interests or directly by name? You could enable a social function to link profiles and get in contact with other researchers.

It would also be nice to have a location function for research activities For example, If I'm attending a meeting or conference somewhere I could specify that and people attending the some meeting could get in touch with me to meet personally.

2 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a really interesting idea but it’s out of the scope of what ORCID is doing right now. For now we are focused on linking ORCID with other organization through our API and developing promised functionality like grants and affiliations. Once that is complete we can revisit this idea, but I’m marking it as declined for now as we can’t fit it in out current development plan.

• to add a field to register gender

It would be easy to extract from a database of names the gender of the author. The list of allowed names at each country is public and authors could easily confirm o change the information. The bibliometric networks separated by gender could be a useful tool for redressing inequalities.

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is an interesting idea, but not our focus at the moment. Perhaps this would be a good use of the public data file that will be published in October. While there isn’t a gender field in the data you may able to get information based on the names, which, as the commenter mentioned, often indicate gender.

• Indirect quotations

Hello, dear ORCHID project representatives!
              My name is Alexander Shemetev. I am a PhD in economics/finance and associate professor at the Saint-Petersburg State Polar Academy and the Interregional Institute of Economics and Law at the Inter-Parliamentary Assembly of the EurAsEC. I have very many publications in different fields of economics. I wrote six books in finance.
              I would like to thank you for your very much important work for the global science development. And I thank you very much for your help for the young scientists. I believe your project is very important for creating the united global science that…

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Research Activities-Works  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a really interesting idea but it’s out of the scope of what ORCID is doing right now. For now we are focused on linking ORCID with other organization through our API and developing promised functionality like grants and affiliations. Once that is complete we can revisit this idea, but I’m marking it as declined for now as we can’t fit it in out current development plan.

• function of Following friends

Can orchid develop a function to follow colleagues, friends. Then people can get an overall idea about: what's going on with their friends, colleagues and what are the great chefs doing.

4 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Collaboration Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a great idea, but outside of our current scope. Our focus at the moment is in embedding ORCID iDs in research funding, data use and publishing workflows. In the next year, after we have achieve that goal, we can revisit how to help researchers connect with each other and follow their developments.

• Linking with global scholars

Searching for grants, opportunities and calls for papers

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is a great idea, but outside of our current scope. Our focus at the moment is in embedding ORCID iDs in research funding, data use and publishing workflows. In the next year, after we have achieve that goal, we can revisit how to help researchers use ORCID to link with other researcher as well as grants and publications.

• visual descrtiption of orcid

If you would give some kind of visual info on the front page
                    that tells people what orchid is and what it can do for us .. i would then know whether it is useful for me. I cant tell what it is by the name.
                    cheers
                    J

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  ORCID User Interface Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • 1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  ORCID User Interface Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Remove the Albert Einstein test account

A search for Albert Einstein returns:
                        http://orcid.org/0000-0003-4293-0137
                        with name "Catalina Staff Account"

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In order to test that the ORCID Registry is working correctly we have to maintain test accounts for our staff to use. We try to mark these accounts as test or as belonging to staff so they are not mistaken for actual researchers, but we need to keep them in the database. In this case works by and about Albert Einstein were added as part of testing the works import function which is why the account was returned in your search results. We try to maintain a minimal amount of these accounts and the information they contain is frequently updated and deleted but they will occasionally show up in search results.

Best,
                          -Catalina
                          ORCID Support

• Provide a 'Public/Private computer' check in the Authorization workflow

Currently, after an Authorization request via the API, ORCID leaves the user's ORCID session open for 30 mins. If the browser itself is not closed down, then any subsequent authorization request carried out from this browser in this period automatically takes the requester into the same ORCID profile without requiring a login.

i.e. ORCID assumes that all authorization requests are triggered from a private terminal, to which no-one else has access.

Maybe provide a '[_] This is a private computer' checkbox on the login/register page that is displayed during an OAUTH /authorize request; if the user indicates that this is…

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  API Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion, and my apologies for the delay in following up. We won’t be adding a check box in the authorization workflow as we are trying to keep the process as simple as possible for users and ORCID automatically logs users out after 30 minutes.

A member requesting authorization can also force a log out by calling the URL https://orcid.org/userStatus.json?logUserOut=true&callback=%22exampleCallBack%22 if they are worried about users staying logged in.

Best,
                            -Catalina
                            ORCID Support

• Change the font

Please change the font to helvetica or something similar.

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • 2 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                2 comments  ·  ORCID Record - Personal Information  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As it’s been a few months and I haven’t heard back I’m going to close this iDea. if you are still having issues please contact ORCID Support at support@orcid.org

I’m not sure I understand your question. Are you suggesting that researchers should be able to add a phone number to their ORCID record in addition to an email address? Or are you looking for a phone number to contact ORCID? If the later- ORCID doesn’t have a phone number, as we have a very small staff we do all our support over email. If you want to contact us you can email support@orcid.org

• Please Make it compulsory to give grants on this ORCID number in all countries

For example, I am from India and searched for UGC travel grant and tried to find out whether this ORCID number is used .. I did not find so

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Requiring an ORCID iD on all grants would be a great way to help identify the recipients, but we can’t control what granting organizations decided to do. We will be including grants in the ORCID Registry soon and partnering with more grant giving organization to start using ORCID iDs in their application process- but we can’t make anything compulsory.

• Give up on bibliography management

ORCID had its public launch 6 months ago and building a bibliography here is still not sufferable for anyone that has more than a handful of publications. (The duplicates issue; maybe also the middle initial issue still.) On the other hand there are fine services through which a researcher can establish a public identity, for example Google Scholar, Research Gate and (starting up) Microsoft Academic Search (and Scopus and Research ID too). I suggest that it should be adequate if ORCID just offers the researcher a page where the person identifies him or herself, with links to whatever other service…

4 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Providing bibliographic information is one way ORCID helps distinguish researchers. By providing a list of works as part of an ORCID records researchers are able not just to identify themselves by name but by the publications they are associated with. But we agree- there are a lot of other services out there that provide excellent bibliographic management- and ORCID isn’t try to replace them.

• Provide ORCID IDs for organizations. We need unique IDs for organizations just as much as for researchers. These could then be used for the

Provide ORCID IDs for organizations. We need unique IDs for organizations just as much as for researchers, and these currently live in numerous inconsistent locations. These ORG ORCID IDs could then be used in linking Person ORCID IDs to Organizations via affiliations.

2 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  ORCID Record - Personal Information  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

There are other organizations that currently provide IDs for institutions and organizations, so ORCID isn’t looking to expand into that area right now.

Once we implement affiliations we will have a system to identify organizations within the ORCID Registry, but we don’t plan to expand it beyond that

• to improve everything

Currently this is a very bad system with very limited options. it should allow users to do everything, including export from/import to any imaginable sources and databases. all imaginable types of data sorting (by size, by date, by citation number, in alphabetical order of the authors, titles, etc.), to find duplications, to contact people, to post publications, pictures, etc. Briefly, it should combine all oprions of Scopus and Web of knowledge with those of Facebook.

7 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        1 comment  ·  ORCID Record - Personal Information  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are working to improve ORCID and address many of your concerns, but we are not trying to make ORCID be everything to everyone.

ORCID is a registry that allows you to connect information together, it’s not a profile system. Our goals is to give researchers an iD that they can use through in their research workflow as a way to help identify their work. Our long term planning does include many of your suggestions, but right now we are focused on bringing in new partners and and making connections to other system. But we do release new versions of the system every week and, if you are interested, you can see many of the ideas you suggestion on our public development planning boards at https://trello.com/orcid2

• Automatic filtering of papers suppousedly of my authorship

For those who have a fairly popular family name (like Smith, Lee or Lopez) it is a pain to go through the thousands of would-be paper candidates offered by the system. It will be far easier (and I think, manageable) to let the user supply an URL where the list of its papers, more or less structured, is available. With such hint, you can filter the thousand of candidates to left just a few candidates. Otherwise, we will never consider to update the ORCID list of papers

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m sorry to hear you had trouble locating the papers your authored. We are working on improving the built-in CrossRef search in the near future. Unfortunately, we can’t import or even filter search results off a text list of papers. Publications need to be in a standard format (ORCID Messages XML) in order for the ORCID Registry to be able to work with them. The system we currently offer for importing papers all provide data in this format.

In addition to our built-in search, there are currently three other ways to import works to your ORCID record which may be more helpful for you.

1. You can import publications associated with your Scopus Author ID by following the link to ‘Import Research Activities’ in the left column of your ORCID profile.

2. If you have a profile at ResearcherID you can add works by logging-in to researcherid.com, linking…

• 1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base