The support.orcid.org website is on a UserVoice platform that has a different privacy policy from our other sites. You may view the details at http://support.orcid.org/tos
X

ORCID iDeas Forum

Thanks for your ideas. The process to turn an idea into an active part of the ORCID Registry is described in the article How are new features decided? (see link) While we want to get to every suggestion, our limited staff time means that some features will have to wait until future development cycles. We look forward to reading your ideas.

I suggest that...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. LinkedIn Authentication for ORCID Account

I would like to see the ability to login to an ORCID account using LinkedIn authentication. I would much rather have an ORCID account tied to my professional linked in account than my personal google and facebook accounts.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  API Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your suggestion to improve the ORCID Registry.

This iDea is in our radar, but we will not be working on it right now and that’s why we are marking it as declined.

When we start working on this, we’ll announce it in our Twitter account and blog. You can follow us: @ORCID_ORG & https://orcid.org/blog

Warm regards,
      ORCID Community Team

• 1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  * Biographical Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your iDea to improve the ORCID Registry.

We are marking this suggestion as declined as it is not one that we are likely to investigate in the near future. In the meantime, we would encourage you to use the existing offerings available.

The ORCID Registry has a few ways to add works to your record. When you are signed into your ORCID record at https://orcid.org/my-orcid, you’ll see these three options under the Add Works menu on the Works header.

Our recommended way of adding works is to link them from one of our members’ databases. From the Add Works menu, please select Search & Link to see a list of databases from which you can add works. Two we particularly recommend for adding all of your publications at once are Scopus and Crossref. You can view more information about this process at: https://support.orcid.org/knowledgebase/articles/188278

As another option, you…

• 2 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

Thank you for your comment.

In this case, it’s a linguistic shift reflecting how we describe the identifier created by our Registry. “ORCID” once stood for the “open researcher and contributor identifier”, but now it refers to the non-profit organisation itself — ORCID. In the usage “ORCID identifier”, “ORCID” is a descriptor — the ORCID identifier as generated by the ORCID Registry operated by ORCID, Inc, rather than the Scopus [Author] identifier, etc.

We ourselves at ORCID do not mind whether you wish to use an “ORC ID”, an “ORCiD” or an “ORCID iD” — we aren’t prescriptivists! We just want you to be able to distinguish yourself and your work. : )

Warm regards,
          ORCID Community Engagement and Support

• 2 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            2 comments  ·  ORCID Record - Personal Information  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            declined  ·  ShaunShaun responded

ORCID is not a journal publisher, we’re a non-profit organization that aims to solve the name ambiguity problem in research and scholarly communications by creating a central registry of unique identifiers for individual researchers. Our system links with many journal publishers. To publish your paper you’ll need to contact the journal directly, or submit it through the journal’s online system.

Best,
            -Shaun
            ORCID Support

• provide citation counts from "third parties", e.g. Scopus, Web of Knowledge, Google

In short: publication record without citation information is not relevant nowadays. Because there are now at least 3 relevant sources of citations for scholarly papers, it would be good to link the orcid profile with these citation count engines.

The three engines giving reliable citation info are :

* the "official" one: Web of Knowledge. It is 'official' because all journals have/try to have an Impact Factor, and also try to be indexed in Thomson Reuters' database.
            * Scopus/Sciverse (of course)
            * Google (from Google Scholar).

These citation information could be "imported" from these third parties.

23 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              3 comments  ·  Research Activities-Works  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Philippe,

Thank you for submitting your idea to improve the ORCID Registry. I agree that improving citation counts and other measures of research impact are important and can be improved by use of the ORCID registry. However, usage stats are not in scope for ORCID.Instead, we encourage third parties to use ORCID data to derive usage statistics.

In fact, algorithms for measuring usage are being implemented by a number of organizations, several of which are benefiting from ORCID data. Some examples of integrations that will, over time as ORCID is adopted, improve search engine accuracy and also calculation of article-level metrics:

Thomson Reuters has already contacted publishers about submitting ORCID iDs with their articles, and has also been working on integrating their Researcher ID with ORCID iDs. The latter will be fully rolled out in January 2013.

Scopus has integrated with ORCID and allows researchers to review and validate…

• Mark up lists of works with metadata

Lists of works should be marked up with metadata; unAPI, ideally, COinS at a minimum.

This will be more easily done if the "<a href="http://support.orcid.org/forums/175591-orcid-ideas-forum/suggestions/3266048-metadata-for-publications-should-be-entered-using-">Metadata for publications should be entered using a form _not_ free text</a>" ticket is implemented.

See <a href="http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/27247/orcid-profiles/#Comment_143596">prior discussion at the Zotero forums</a>

74 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                10 comments  ·  * Metadata/Data Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great suggestion and thanks for the link to the discussion on Zotero. We’re going to have a working group take up this issue soon, and I’ll follow up with this idea once they decide on works metadata.

-Catalina
                ORCID Support

• Suggest prominent link to look-up page on registration page

One of the beauties of the ORCID identifier is that it is easier to look up your ID than it is to create a new one. To reduce duplication by confused users who have forgotten their earlier registrations, I suggest placing a prominent link (anchor text "Look up my ORCID") to the search page (https://orcid.org/orcid-search/search) at the top of the registration page (https://orcid.org/register).

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  ORCID User Interface Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • To provide DOI or a specific "persistent link" for old papers that does not has one.

Linking relevant legacy research results (papers, books) without a DOI is a problem for me (probably for most researchers).

I wonder if ORCID would create a persistent link to a source available on the Internet in which I could deposit my works, such as Research Gate

3 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  * Metadata/Data Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your suggestion.

We have marked this iDea as declined as it does not align with the mission of ORCID at present.

Our focus is providing:
                     A unique identifier for researchers (the ORCID iD) which can be used to disambiguate their identity
                     Member-built integrations to help connect research activities to researchers’ ORCIDrecords
                     A hub for exchanging data linked by persistent identifiers

For more on the ORCID mission, see: https://orcid.org/about/what-is-orcid/mission

Warm regards,
                    ORCID Community Team

• None of the above

I was surprised that you didn't allow free-form comments in your survey. I wanted to say that, from my point of view, the ORCID system is just one more electronic citation and connection service, along with ResearchGate and Academia.com, etc. I don't need more details or web pages to keep track of, and I'm certainly not interested in anyone forcing more reporting requirements on me. My papers can easily be found through standard library search systems. You'd really have to offer me some incentive to be interested in ORCID.

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback. We limited the number of free text comments in our survey​ ​
                      to reduce the amount of time it takes to complete. To respond to your other comments, ORCID is not itself a researcher profile system like ResearchGate or academia.edu – rather, we ​are a non-profit organization that provides a persistent unique digital name (identifier) for researchers. We work with the community to integrate this identifier into key research and scholarly workflows to ensure that a researcher’s work can be distinguished and correctly attributed. Ultimately, this reduces the amount of time you spend updating records in various systems (including in profile systems).

Alice
                      Communications Director
                      ORCID

• 1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        2 comments  ·  ORCID User Interface Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Please provide a platform for free webinars by researchers which can collaborate experts across the globe and discuss about a new research.

Every day a particular time slot should be allowed for members of ORCID to register for a webinar. The participants can also register through website. Webinars will be on a new research idea. Then followed by a small discussion session, where comments and ideas could be conveyed to the webinar holder through text messaging in the web platform.

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Collaboration Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your suggestion.

We have marked this iDea as declined as it does not align with the mission of ORCID at present. Our focus is providing:

• A unique identifier for researchers (the ORCID iD) which can be used to disambiguate their identity
                          • Member-built integrations to help connect research activities to researchers’ ORCID records
                          • A hub for exchanging data linked by persistent identifiers

For more on the ORCID mission, see: https://orcid.org/about/what-is-orcid/mission

Warm regards,
                          ORCID Community Team

• Add Digital Certificates

Either create a digital certificate associated with the ID, or allow user to identify an existing certificate to associate with the ID. DigiCert and InCommon are examples of certificate sources, but others are possible.

22 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            3 comments  ·  * Interfaces with other services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • users can upload their portrait photographs on ORCID.

Social media without visual does not look up-to-date. ORCID should permit users to upload their photographs.

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  * Biographical Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are marking this iDea as declined as it does not fit in with ORCID’s goals. ORCID is not a social media platform, and we are not a profiling system. Rather, we provide:

• Persistent identifiers (ORCID iDs) to researchers to distinguish themselves from each other;
                              • Integrations with systems built by our member organizations to which you can connect your ORCID iD and grant permission to add or update your ORCID record; and
                              • A hub for synchronizing information about persons (e.g. ORCID iDs, Scopus Author IDs), organizations (e.g. Ringgold IDs, FundrefIDs), and works (e.g. DOIs, ISBNs) based on persistent identifiers

We will merge this topic shortly into related suggestions for profile photos on the ORCID record.

Warm regards,
                              ORCID Community Team

• Modify the method for eliminating duplicate records

My experience is that SCOPUS is an unreliable "collector" for ORCiD: it missed some 20 or so of my publications, with no apparent pattern. Therefore I uploaded a complete bibtex file. The result was that there were many duplicates, which I proceeded to eliminate. The way ORCiD is set up at the moment makes this a very slow process: one can't simply check all articles to be deleted, then hit "Do it!" Instead, it's a one-by-one process and after each elimination there's a wait until ORCiD staggers back to its feet, following which one must navigate down to the next…

2 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                1 comment  ·  ORCID User Interface Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Sorry you had such a frustrating experience adding works to your ORCID record. Duplicates are handled by the ORCID system based on identifiers, like DOIs and ISBNs, if either the Scopus import or your BibTeX file did not include identifiers (or used different identifiers) there was no way for our system to identify the works as duplicates. More about how duplicates work is at http://support.orcid.org/knowledgebase/articles/462032

For the BibTeX file, I am surprised to hear that you needed to modify it to add a comma on the last line as that should not be required and we’ve successfully loaded other files without that. If you can send us a copy of the files that did and didn’t load to support@oricd.org we can take a look and see if we need to fix something with our BibTeX parser.

Thanks,
                                -Catalina
                                ORCID Support

• Would like to see Public/Private listed on Search Results

I would like a search on https://orcid.org/orcid-search/quick-search/?searchQuery=antony%20williams, as an example, to show hn additional column of Public YES/NO. When there are multiple names that are the same it would save having to open each one one at a time to check on available information

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  3 comments  ·  * Search/Browse  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have declined this suggestion on the basis of maintaining the privacy of user data. In revealing whether there is any non-public information on an ORCID record, we would be in effect revealing information that the user has not made public. This disclosure would violate the spirit of the ORCID trust program.

For more, see:
                                  ORCID trust: https://orcid.org/about/trust
                                  ORCID privacy policy: https://orcid.org/privacy-policy

Warm regards,
                                  ORCID Community Team

• 4 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Our metadata fields for works are designed to match the common bibliographic information given for a variety of research output. Based on other standards that we’ve looked at only one translated title is typical.

We have therefore marked this item as declined. We can revisit it if there is more community support for the feature. Please let us know, either in this iDea, by submitting a new iDea, or contacting us at support@orcid.org of your support for adding multiple translated titles. Please include examples of other standards that allow for multiple translated titles, or examples of works where the same work with a single identifier has titles in more than two languages so we can re-evaluate the decision.

Warm regards,
                                    ORCID Community Team

• Use ORCID as basis for permanent researcher email addressing (e.g. for contact email on papers)

A powerful use of ORCID could be as a persistent researcher email address, that we could use as contact email for our publications. That way other researchers could reach us as we (grad students, profs, corporate researchers) change our affiliations. Format could be <my_orcid>@orcid.org and/or <orcid_alias>@orcid.org. Emails would be re-directed to whatever we have in our records.

37 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      1 comment  ·  ORCID Record - Personal Information  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your suggestion to improve the ORCID Registry.

After consideration, we have declined this feature request as it falls beyond our scope at this moment.

We may be able to revisit this as we further develop the ORCID Inbox feature.

Warm regards,
                                      ORCID Community Team

• Co-branding on ORCID emails to integrators' user communities

As a soon to be integrator, I think it would be valuable to co-brand on emails sent by ORCID to our users. All our information providers allow us to state that the content is brought to you by NAME OF LIBRARY or LOGO of Library on their respective websites/homepages. I believe that we should implement something similar with ORCID…. Perhaps the wording could be ...brought to you by NAME OF LIBRARY or ORGANIZATION in partnership with ORCID. Co-branding will draw attention to our users that there is a definite collaboration between their library/institution and ORCID.

4 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  ORCID User Interface Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your suggestion to improve the Registry.

We have considered this suggestion and marked it as declined for the time being. We will not be issuing emails to users customised to the ORCID-integrated system to which they have connected their ORCID iD. This could confuse the distinction between the ORCID system and another system, and a user may connect their ORCID iD to a number of systems besides.

We also do not have plans at present to present logos on the ORCID record. Users can go to the ORCID member listing at https://orcid.org/members to find a full list of ORCID members and their current integrations.

Warm regards,
                                        ORCID Community Team

• flag mistakes

Allow users to flag or report mistakes they find while reading Orcid profiles: Wrong DOI, wrong type of work...

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestion to improve the ORCID Registry. We already have a procedure for you to flag potentially incorrect information on an ORCID record: The ORCID Dispute Procedures: https://orcid.org/orcid-dispute-procedures

If you are on an ORCID record and find information which you believe is suspect, you can flag it to the ORCID team by clicking the green ? balloon in the bottom left of the record and letting us know. You can also contact support@orcid.org directly.

That said, please keep in mind that a key principle of ORCID is that the user is in control of their ORCID record. This means that we do not correct information on behalf of the user or the trusted party who added the data with the user’s permission. For more, see: https://orcid.org/about/trust/control?lang=cs

Finally, we have a similar iDea on this form to which you may wish to add your support, or give…

• 48 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            7 comments  ·  ORCID Record - Personal Information  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Apologies for the long silence on this topic. We spent a lot of time last year thinking through – with our Board – what ORCID is and is not.

Many users think of ORCID primarily as a profile system and, although your ORCID record can be used in this way, that is not the primary goal. The most important thing about getting an ORCID iD is that, in addition to uniquely identifying you, it enables you to connect information from other systems to your record and to connect your ID with other identifiers, such as for publications, grants, organizations, etc. And this can increasingly happen via automatically (with your permission).

We believe that allowing users to include a photo of themselves on their ORCID record will create further confusion about ORCID being a profile system, so we won’t be adding this functionality.

Thanks for suggesting it and for all your…

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base