The support.orcid.org website is on a UserVoice platform that has a different privacy policy from our other sites. You may view the details at http://support.orcid.org/tos
X

ORCID iDeas Forum

Thanks for your ideas. The process to turn an idea into an active part of the ORCID Registry is described in the article How are new features decided? (see link) While we want to get to every suggestion, our limited staff time means that some features will have to wait until future development cycles. We look forward to reading your ideas.

I suggest that...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Implement API for token revocation

At present, tokens can be issued using ORCID's OAuth API but they can't be revoked except by a user manually going to their Account settings on the main orcid.org website (https://orcid.org/account).

OAuth providers such as Google provide the ability for a token holder to revoke the token via an API. For example, see https://developers.google.com/identity/protocols/OAuth2WebServer#tokenrevoke

One current suggested flow of an application simply deleting the token from its database is unsafe, as the token is still valid (for up to 20 years) and is at risk of being found/brute-forced and abused. The other suggested flow of instructing the user…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  API Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Privacy badger + tracking

Visiting the public http://orcid.org/0000-0003-2016-4208 page Privacy Badger reports two possible issues: Apparently it decided that widget.uservoice.com is tracking me, and blocked it. That's of course an error, and I could enable it manually, but maybe this should be mentioned somewhere. It also reports that www.google-analytics.com is NOT tracking me, that's a false negative, I blocked google-analytics in /etc/hosts.

If that affects all visitors of public profiles you need a privacy policy for visitors and maybe a legal counsel familiar with EU privacy laws "years ago" (and again next year, so "now" could be an excellent time.)

An ordinary Chrome AdBlock…

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your message. Please refer to our knowledge base article Cookies and plugins https://support.orcid.org/knowledgebase/articles/159728 :

ORCID’s websites use cookies. We use cookies to provide you a better user experience.

Cookies from our customer support tool, UserVoice, provide us information about the browser you’re using, or whether you have contacted us about a similar problem in the past. This helps us provide you with better customer service.

Cookies from the site analytics tool, Google Analytics, provide general and anonymized information about how users access and use the ORCID website. This includes the most commonly used browsers, which languages our users read, and which integrated sites are providing the most benefits to users. This information helps us to understand where improvements or new features are needed.

Some users prefer to disable cookies from some services. The orcid.org website supports tools to disable cookies, and does not require cookies from UserVoice or…

• Make signing in / signing out more robust

I am rather recent to ORCID, or rather, I am just starting to seriously working with it. Within one afternoon it happened twice that I could not sign in anymore.

The first time the welcome page with the signing in form would just stay there after I have filled my email address and password and clicked on the sign in button. I then found a tab in my web browser where I was still signed in and could continue to work.

The second time I ended up being signed in as Anonymous and did not get access to my data.…

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  ORCID User Interface Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your suggestion. It sounds like you’re referring to your name and account on support.orcid.org — is that correct?

Please note that support.orcid.org and the ORCID iDeas Forum are hosted on the site of our service platform, UserVoice. The sign-in and user information will be different from what you use at https://orcid.org/signin to access your personal ORCID record.

We would love to integrate the two, and are looking into that as a possible requirement should we switch to a new service platform. In the meantime, you should be able to edit your personal information in your account settings (click the “settings” option).

Warm regards,
          ORCID Community Team

• Pubmed ID (PMID) should be directly used to link ones papers

to link with ones papers there should be link of PMID to link and automatically the information should be linked to ones account.

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your suggestion to improve the ORCID registry.

There is an active integration with Europe PMC, which includes the ability to search by PMID and export the work directly to your ORCID record.

You can access this directly from your ORCID record under the Works section:

1. Sign into your personal record at https://orcid.org/my-orcid
            2. Go to the works section and click Add works, then Search & Link and choose Europe PubMed Central
            3. Grant Europe PMC permission to add activities to your ORCID record, and proceed to search and add works

You can read more about how their system works at https://europepmc.org/Help

Warm regards,
            ORCID Community Team

• Orcid records date of first assertion of an association with an orga

At the moment it can be difficult to add start dates to institutional affiliations but if we can record/ retrieve the date that an authenticated affiliation was first asserted we can make inferences about membership and possibly movement

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  * Metadata/Data Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your suggestion to improve the ORCID Registry.

This is something that you can do now! When you click “Show Details” on any item added to the ORCID record (save: names, bibliography), you’ll receive: a) the source of that data, and b) the date it was added. When you query the item using the ORCID API, you’ll see: u
              Date created,
              Date modified,
              Data source

For more information, see: https://orcid.org/blog/2016/07/20/announcing-your-new-improved-orcid-record

Warm regards,
              ORCID Community Team

• ORCID will solve the "Maiden Name-Married Name conflict"

Hello there,

The problem with taking your loved one's name, and "giving up" your previous publications concerns many people (especially woman, but not only).

It would be wonderful if using ORCID ID a person can change her/his publication name easily, and link all relevant manuscripts together.
              The aim is to make sure that in a simple Google or Pubmed search other people could see all the work you have done regardless of your marital status...

Do you think this can be made possible?

Thanks!

Hila (Schwartz) Doron
              MD.PhD trainee
              Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University,
              Tel Aviv,
              Israel

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  ORCID Record - Personal Information  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your iDea.

The goal of ORCID is to uniquely identify you, regardless of which name you are using at the time of your publication. When you connect your ORCID iD to a publication submission, funding application, peer review, etc., then your ORCID iD is embedded in that item’s metadata and will be a method of connecting your contribution so that it is based on your singular identifier, which would not change, rather than your name, which could change.

In addition, you can specify multiple versions of your name, including a marital name, or your name in other scripts, on your ORCID record in order to disambiguate your identity. That way if someone reads your ORCID record, they will find multiple versions of your name, potentially including the version(s) used on your past publications or affiliations.

Warm regards,
                ORCID Community Team

• Group DOIs with case insensitive comparison to resolve works duplication / not grouping

I think that when comparing the DOIs of works to decide what to group, you aren't parsing them to be case insensitive using ASCII case folding for comparison of text.
                https://www.doi.org/doi_handbook/2_Numbering.html#2.4
                The doi:10.1002/14651858.CD001730.pub3 is equivalent to doi:10.1002/14651858.cd001730.pub3
                but Scopus and CrossRef are using these two different presentations, which then list as separate works in ORCID.
                Although in this this case I can create a manual entry with the Scopus ID and the DOI as listed by CrossRef, I shouldn't have to and the Scopus presentation of the DOI is the one preferred by the publisher.

39 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  4 comments  ·  Research Activities-Works  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to share that we have added a normalization option in the Registry as a part of our API 3.0 work. This allows identifiers which are case insensitive, such as DOIs, to be processed as the same regardless of case on the ORCID record. Therefore, they are grouped as expected. You can find the card with the update on our current development Trello, or view your ORCID record for an example if this issue has affected you previously: https://trello.com/c/5p6QK7bS/4254

Let us know if you find case sensitive identifiers which are not grouping on your record as expected.

Warm regards,
                  ORCID Community Team

• Resume or CV

ORCID is great as it is an online CV/resume. But it would be great if this record gets printed out automatically as a CV/resume with different formats available. Or an additional app which does this would also be great with editing features available.

20 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    5 comments  ·  API Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Fix typo in register page re notifications

I see two issues on the registration page https://orcid.org/register , in the block about email frequency:

1) The first sentence has a typo in "... like changes to your ORCID record and new and events." and perhaps could anyway be a little clearer about what might generate a notification.

2) If most users leave the default weekly frequency setting then maybe you can ignore this second comment. However, when I see "Weekly summary" it sounds as if a user should expect weekly emails when, in practice, this is the maximum allowed with likely much less frequent notifications. Perhaps terms that…

5 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  ORCID User Interface Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks again for your suggestions to improve the ORCID Registry.

We’ve now revised the language about notifications on the registration form as follows:

> The ORCID registry provides notifications about things of interest, like updates to your ORCID record or being made a trusted individual, when they occur (learn more about notifications: https://support.orcid.org/knowledgebase/articles/665437). How often would you like these notifications delivered to you via email?

Let us know if you have any additional suggestions on improving the registration form or other sections of the Registry.

Warm regards,
                      ORCID Community Team

• Merging of preprint with published work when available?

Like many others, I am increasingly submitting my work to preprint servers prior to publication. I think this is a great way of publicising your work and overcoming some of the delays associated with the traditional publication and peer review process. I also think it's really useful that ORCID allows the inclusion of such preprints (e.g. from BioRxiv) in the works section. However, once the work is published in a peer reviewed journal, the relevance of preprint changes - it is still useful, because it gives a doi link to a 'non-paywalled' copy of the work, but it also means…

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Research Activities-Works  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your suggestion to improve the ORCID Registry.

ORCID does provide a way to group multiple versions of the same work together on the ORCID record. Grouping in the works section of the ORCID record is based on two versions of a work sharing a unique identifier which has the same relationship (“self” or “part of”).

If a work has been imported from two different sources with different identifiers (e.g. an arxiv and a DOI), you can manually group them together by creating a third version of the work which includes both identifiers. To do this click the ‘make a copy and edit’ button on one of the works, then in the edit window add the identifier that is listed on the other version of the work. When you save this new work with both identifiers it will group together all the works that contain either identifier

• How easy is it to change one's email?

One may change one's affiliation frequently and reasonably suddenly. How easy is it to change one's email

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  * Biographical Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

Thanks for your question.

One can easily change one’s current email addresses and add new email addresses in one’s Account Settings at https://orcid.org/account

We encourage researchers to associate multiple email addresses with a single ORCID record since ORCID iD duplicate prevention has its roots in email matches. Personal and professional email addresses and even past emails or other forms of an address can be included to help ensure that a duplicate iD is not unintentionally created. Each address has its own privacy setting, and ORCID will not share any email information that you have marked private.

Warm regards,
                          ORCID Community Team

• text and menus hard to read

Just a suggestion re the website design. As a general rule it is light text on dark background, dark text on light background. What exists now is light text on light background. This makes it more difficult to read.

6 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thank again for your suggestion.

We have revamped our site’s design scheme to have more contrasting colors as well as an open-source font accessible across multiple systems.

Let us know if you have any additional feedback on the design.

Warm regards,
                            ORCID Community Team

• Search by works metadata

There's a number of pieces of information in works metadata: author, journal, year, volume, issue, title, possibly DOI, etc.

It would be great to be able to search on these pieces of information.

I had someone contact me that wanted to use the R ORCID client I maintain to search for works for only 2015 for all researchers at a specific university.

As far as I know this can't be done with the API, correct?

I tried to answer his question with the R client after pulling down works, parsing the bibtex citation, etc. - see here https://gist.github.com/sckott/41a400341180e967d5405642537b7c1e

10 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              6 comments  ·  API Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your suggestion on improving the ORCID Registry.

We have an update (March 2017) that the current version of the API search in 2.0 includes searching works by identifiers and title: https://members.orcid.org/api/tutorial/search-orcid-registry

(All identifiers can be used. The current list is at https://pub.orcid.org/v2.0/identifiers/ )

We’ve also added suggestions for increasing the searchable works metadata to things to consider for future development. These would generally be understood to be the supported fields supported in ORCID (see our Works XSD: https://github.com/ORCID/ORCID-Source/blob/master/orcid-model/src/main/resources/record_2.0/work-2.0.xsd ).

Note that author would generally not be one considered as we do not have an author field. We do support the addition of contributors, but do not have clear guidance on the at present— we expect this to come out of our discussions related to Project credit, etc. — see our User/Member Interface Improvements goal for 2017: https://trello.com/c/mBcwieED/10

Warm regards,
                              ORCID Community Team

• Add a "sitemap.xml" file

I made this suggestion in the ORCID ambassadors' Basecamp forum in November 2014 (including examples which it's not appropriate to post here), but there was no acknowledgement posted there - so I'm raising a ticket here to improve visibility.

[1] https://basecamp.com/1931118/projects/3039364/messages/34224009

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Connections with other systems  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is something that we already have in place in the Registry — a method to index new and reviewed iDs and thus they are discoverable by search engines — so we shall mark this iDea as completed.

Warm regards,
                                ORCID Community Team

• It will be great instead compulsion of username, lets log in us via our email address, research id or orcid no.

t will be great instead compulsion of username, lets log in us via our email address, research id or orcid no.

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Connections with other systems  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

When you sign into your ORCID account at https://orcid.org/signin there are three sign in options:

1. Sign in using your ORCID account (i.e. email address or 16-digit ORCID iD, as well as your password);
                                  2. Sign in using your linked social account (e.g. Google or Facebook); and
                                  3. Sign in using your linked institutional account (e.g. your school, employer, or other institution).

You can read the announcement about this on our blog:
                                  What was my password again?
                                  https://orcid.org/blog/2016/05/21/what-was-my-password-again

You can also find support documents on this at http://support.orcid.org

If you have any trouble signing into your ORCID account, email us at support@orcid.org

Warm regards,
                                  ORCID Community Engagement and Support

• Provide clearer feedback on authorization requests

When I tried to link my ScholarOne to my ORCID account, I was redirected to ORCID where it asked me to authorize ScholarOne to get permission to read and modify my ORCID data, both bibliographical and other contents. I rejected this because I do not want ScholarOne to be able to mess with my ORCID record, and it seemed they were requesting to many permissions. Only when reading the ORCID API call specification did I find out this means they can modify only records they have added themselves.

I would suggest to make it clearer in the authorization request dialog…

2 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  * Interfaces with other services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your message.

The permissions requested by ScholarOne are determined by ScholarOne itself. ORCID provides a description of each permission requested clearly on the OAuth sign in/registration/authorisation form. The layout is standard for each OAuth form, and for organisations which request long-lived tokens (approximately 20 years), you will receive the option to uncheck a box, allowing the permission to be for that session only.

A general description of the layout :
                                    --

[NAME OF ORGANISATION] {? icon: click to get more info about the org]
                                    has asked for the following access to your ORCID Record:

[List of requested permissions — see all possible ones here: https://members.orcid.org/api/orcid-scopes ] [Mouseover textbox for each permission to provide further detail]

[Checkbox] Allow this permission until I revoke it.
                                    You may revoke permissions on your account settings page. Unchecking this box will grant permission this time only.

This application will not…

• 1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

The way the ORCID interface works is that publications which have the same identifier (like a PMID or DOI) are grouped together into one item. This way a publication isn’t listed multiple times if you added it from multiple sources, such as importing a publication from Scopus and adding it manually.

If a work has been imported from two different sources with different identifiers, you can manually group them together by creating a third version of the work which includes both identifiers. To do this click the ‘make a copy and edit’ button on one of the works, then in the edit window add the identifier that is listed on the other version of the work. When you save this new work with both identifiers it will group together all the works that contain either identifier

For more information on how groupings works and how to edit works see …

• search other fields

It would be helpful if you could search using other fields, for example, searching by funding agency... I mean, what is the point of having all this data about researchers if you can't actually use the data to find researchers?

2 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        2 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you again for your suggestion.

We’re going to mark this idea as completed as we’ve increased the number of searchable fields with the 2.0 version of the ORCID API search. (Anyone can use the Public API to search the ORCID Registry.) Specific new sections added include:

For more, see our tutorial on searching using the ORCID API: https://members.orcid.org/api/tutorial/search-orcid-registry

If you’d like to suggest improvements for the basic and advanced search on the ORCID user interface, please add your thoughts and suggestions to “Improve Search Options” at https://support.orcid.org/forums/175591/suggestions/7101297

Warm regards,
                                        ORCID Community Team

• Allow addition of a publication just by specifying the doi

I'm surprised that pasting in a doi is not one of your methods of adding a publication. Instead, you have to type out the publication title (among other things) to do a manual entry. Practically every work, including data sets and programs, has a doi these days, which is a unique identifier.

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your suggestion.

The way ORCID works is by making connections between many different systems that store data and exchanging it. You can do just this — add a publication by specifying the DOI — by connecting to the Crossref database using the works Search & Link wizard and specifying the DOI you wish to add to your record.

For more on using Crossref and other Search & Link wizards to add works to your record, see:
                                          http://support.orcid.org/knowledgebase/articles/188278

Warm regards,
                                          ORCID Community Team

• Get rid of ORCID until you implement a way of recovering log in information for an existing account.

Get rid of ORCID until you implement a way of recovering log in information for an existing account.

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  * Interfaces with other services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your suggestion.

As listed on our sign in page at https://orcid.org/signin , one signs into one’s ORCID account using either your registered email address or your 16-digit ORCID iD (0000-0001-2345-6789), along with your password.

If you no longer recall your password, you can reset it at https://orcid.org/reset-password — remember to check your spam/junk mail folders for messages from reset@notify.orcid.org if you do not receive a password reset notification after 5 minutes.

Should your email address not exist in our system, please try to register again. During the registration process, our system will match both your email address and your name against already registered accounts. Should there be a match, you will be notified. In that case, contact support@orcid.org with the relevant ORCID iD so we can help you check whether that account belongs to you or to a researcher who shares your name.

Warm regards,
                                            ORCID Community and…

← Previous 1 3 4 5 19 20
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base