The support.orcid.org website is on a UserVoice platform that has a different privacy policy from our other sites. You may view the details at http://support.orcid.org/tos
X

ORCID iDeas Forum

Thanks for your ideas. The process to turn an idea into an active part of the ORCID Registry is described in the article How are new features decided? (see link) While we want to get to every suggestion, our limited staff time means that some features will have to wait until future development cycles. We look forward to reading your ideas.

I suggest that...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. to disambiguate results, please show additional information in your search results

To help to disambiguate results, please show additional information in your search results. Country, organisation, a social network handle, a keyword, anything...

See examples of problematic search results here: https://twitter.com/researchwhisper/status/865362578326798336

"We provide this service to help people find information…" - currently, that is hard to do because I have to individually look at each record to see if it is the individual that I'm looking for.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      3 comments  ·  * Search/Browse  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your suggestion. We’ll put it under review to our team.

Please note that we generally do not recommend searching to find researchers’ ORCID iDs. Rather, we recommend asking them to provide their ORCID iD.

For systems, this would be by requesting that researchers sign into ORCID to provide their ORCID iD via authentication.

For individuals, this would be by asking the researcher directly for their ORCID iD.

Warm regards,
      The ORCID Team

• Add IPv6 support for the orcid.org domain

Currently the website is only served and accessible over IPv4 and it would be great to have IPv6 supported for forward compatibility.

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  * Search/Browse  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your suggestion to improve the ORCID Registry.

We’re going to add this to our list of improvements to consider for the future and will update here accordingly.

Warm regards,
        ORCID Community Engagement and Support

• ORCID account have a search facility for the works

ORCID account should have a search facility for the works so that it could become easier for an account holder to navigate through the works and manage them.

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  * Search/Browse  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We require further information in order to consider this iDea. Do you wish to use the normal ORCID Search to search for works? If so, this is possible — here is a search using a DOI: https://orcid.org/orcid-search/quick-search/?searchQuery=10.23640%2F07243.4905773

Could you confirm whether you want this to be more obvious? For example, an option to search by work identifier or work title on the Advanced Search page https://orcid.org/orcid-search/search

Or do you mean that the user should be able to search through their own works that they have already added to their personal ORCID record? If so, what would you expect to be able to search, and how?

Many thanks for input for you and from the community.

Warm regards,
          ORCID Community Team

• search results pages should indicate which results have public data

An earlier ticket [1] was, I believe, closed on a misunderstanding. We are not asking for any private data to be made pubic, but simply for search results pages to give an indication of which results include some public data; ideally with a summary, but otherwise with a tick or similar mark.

[1] https://support.orcid.org/forums/175591-orcid-ideas-forum/suggestions/12433422-would-like-to-see-public-private-listed-on-search

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  * Search/Browse  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re going to add this to our list of improvements to consider for the future and will update here accordingly.

Warm regards,
            ORCID Community Team

• A 'report this' button is implemented to prevent spamming the registry

I searched the ORCID registry for "school" and lots of spam 'profiles' for driving schools, yoga schools, etc came up in the search results. For example:

http://orcid.org/0000-0001-7582-2402
            http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9587-8075
            http://orcid.org/0000-0001-6240-8560

ORCID has a process that runs each week aiming to identify potential suspect records, but it is dependent on keywords. I propose that ORCID implement a 'report this' button and we can crowdsource getting rid of these spam profiles?

11 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your suggestion to improve the ORCID Registry.

We shall put this as a feature under review. Let us know if you have any suggestions for how this may appear on the ORCID record.

For now, please continue to report any suspect records to support@orcid.org, as well as any suggested keywords to add to our regular spam search.

Warm regards,
              ORCID Community Engagement and Support

• Allow accented characters to be equivalent to non-accented characters in search

We think of making all co-workers of the Budapest University of Technology and Economics (Hungary) have an Orcid ID. This would be great, but we have a problem. Most names in Hungary have accents (like meny names in French, German, Polish...). E.g. I am registered as István Kollár: 0000-0002-4807-0476

In most systems, a search with unaccented characters (Istvan Kollar) returns all hit with or without accents. However, when I search for Kollar, I have no hits, even with "Also search other names" on (I do have added all these name versions). I can find my name with "Kollár" only. But…

18 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                6 comments  ·  * Search/Browse  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Thanks for reminding us about this bug. We’re actually in the process of switching how we do search (we’re moving from Solr to Elastic search). Once we’ve completed that update, which is scheduled for this summer, we’ll look at adjusting our search to work the way you very nicely described.

Thanks,
                -Catalina
                ORCID Support

• Make organisations clickable

Why can't I click on "Robert Gordon University" in a profile like http://orcid.org/0000-0002-0570-7086 to see, which researchers in a certain organisation are registered in ORCID? That would be really useful for discovery purposes.

Please put links behind the organisation's names! URIs for each institution would be helpful here, I guess.

35 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. We’re currently working on a way to make affiliation information searchable. After that we can think about trying to link it, though it may be a large project as one institution often has different names, or user entered a sub-organization which has a different name. But we will look into this after more pressing functionality is complete.

Best,
                  -Catalina
                  ORCID Support

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base