The support.orcid.org website is on a UserVoice platform that has a different privacy policy from our other sites. You may view the details at http://support.orcid.org/tos
X

ORCID iDeas Forum

Thanks for your ideas. The process to turn an idea into an active part of the ORCID Registry is described in the article How are new features decided? (see link) While we want to get to every suggestion, our limited staff time means that some features will have to wait until future development cycles. We look forward to reading your ideas.

I suggest that...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Improve Search Options

Please try to improve Search options in 2 ways:
    1.- Aspect: show Search box in another locatiom, shape and colours. It's not obvious that this grey line is the Search box.
    2.- More fields in Advanced Search: add affiliation and fields combined with Boolean operators
    Thanks.

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      8 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your suggestion to improve the ORCID Registry. Since you’ve first submitted this suggestion, we’ve improved the appearance of the search bar, and are now working on the affiliations search. You can follow progress on the Current Development Trello at:
      https://trello.com/c/7OywbDz8/3102

In the meantime, we would suggest that those looking into advanced search options also consider using the ORCID Public API. A tutorial is available at:
      https://members.orcid.org/api/tutorial-searching-data-using-api

Warm regards,
      ORCID Community Team

• Search text should remain in the search box to facilitate revision and connect the user to the search results

The search string should remain in the search box so that it is easier for users to revise a search and to also help them make sense of the search results.

9 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Initialized given names in search index & also exposed in API

A data source I am using to discover potential ORCID ids may/may not have initials as given-names. If your Lucene index had an EdgeNGram on given-names, to help accommodate incoming queries that contain abbreviated given-names, this would be immensely useful.

Alternatively, an additional, computed field like "given-name-initials" with EdgeNGram would be equally useful and would not change the behaviour of your existing Solr field, "given-names". A relatively simple regex-based method from https://github.com/berkmancenter/namae/blob/master/lib/namae/name.rb#L178 might prove useful.

7 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. After discussing this with our development team this looks like something we can do using your initial suggestion of using EdgeNGram on the given-names field.

I’ve added this to our list of projects to get to this year. But our developers are working on a number of other major improvements to the ORCID Registry, so I don’t have an exact timeline as when we’ll get to this.

Best,
          -Catalina
          ORCID Support

• Affiliation search - limit to current

API search for Affiliation gives result set that includes records where affiliation matches records having a matching affiliation in the past (but current affiliation(s) is not a match).

Enhancement request - ability to limit affiliation searches to records that match only most current affiliation(s) in researcher's ORCID record (i.e. exclude records where affiliation match was in the past / or is not current).

As suggested from support, one possible way would be to hook into where Affiliation has no ending date or is null on ending date.

4 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your suggestion to improve the ORCID Registry’s API search.

We’ll take this suggestion into consideration as we look into further improvements of our affiliations search feature and will update when we have further information.

Warm regards,
            ORCID Community Team

• Improve search, regarding double letters

One of the commonest spellings of names which contain double letters, such as my surname, Mabbett, is to omit one if the letters.

Search for neither "Andy Mabbet" nor "Andy Mabett" finds my ORCID record.

The search algorithm should handle such cases.

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              2 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your suggestion to improve the ORCID registry.

We have submitted this iDea — improving fuzzier searches — for consideration in our next round of projects and will update you when we have further information on it going forward.

Warm regards,
              ORCID Community Engagement and Support

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base