The support.orcid.org website is on a UserVoice platform that has a different privacy policy from our other sites. You may view the details at http://support.orcid.org/tos
X

ORCID iDeas Forum

Thanks for your ideas. The process to turn an idea into an active part of the ORCID Registry is described in the article How are new features decided? (see link) While we want to get to every suggestion, our limited staff time means that some features will have to wait until future development cycles. We look forward to reading your ideas.

I suggest that...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. orcid badge for website

code for sharing the orcid profile via a web badge

59 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      13 comments  ·  Connections with other systems  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Just to give an update on this project:

We have a demo of the ORCID badge widget that you can test by going to https://orcid.org/my-orcid?widget and clicking on the link to “Share your ORCID iD on other sites.”

Some of the feedback that we’ve received thus far is that it is quite large, and that it does not coincide with current iD display guidelines.

We expect to return to this project after we have finished deployment of the 2.0 API and have released the updated display guidelines in 2017.

If you have any feedback on this feature please let us know either here or at support@orcid.org

Warm regards,
      ORCID Community Team

• Provide authentication with OpenID Connect

Since plain oauth for accessing the API is primarily for authorization, it would be great to be able to use ORCID as an authentication provider with an open standard as OpenID Connect. Users could then easily log into other research platforms using their ORCID account.

42 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        11 comments  ·  Connections with other systems  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Add support for RIS-formatted citations

The site currently has support for BibTeX and human-readable formatted citation formats. Add the ability to enter citations in RIS format.

41 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Connections with other systems  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for submitting your idea to improve the ORCID Registry. Starting the week of Nov 12, and continuing weekly through December the Registry Stability Working Group will meet to help us prioritize all the functions and bugs that have been submitted, at that time you might see the status of your idea change after the Working Group assigns it a priority. While we want to get to every suggestion, our limited staff time means that some features will have to wait until future development cycles. The full process of how an idea turns into an active part of the ORCID Registry is described in the article How are new features decided?

ORCID works with the involvement and support of the community, and we appreciate your taking the time to help make the Registry better. In the three weeks since our launch, we’ve received a lot of great suggestions for the…

• Capture Book Sections correctly

If I transfer a book section from ResearcherID to ORCID the former editors of the book become co-authors.

9 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Connections with other systems  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your suggestion to improve the ORCID Registry.

This involves two items:
            1. Contributor roles in the ORCID Registry; and
            2. Transfer of data between ResearcherID and ORCID.

We have as a part of our 2017 goals addressing contributorship on the ORCID Registry as a part of implementing project CRedIT on ORCID records (see: https://trello.com/c/mBcwieED/10 ). At that point, systems which connect to ORCID to send and receive data, including ResearcherID, will be able to benefit from a standard method of indicating — or reading indications of — a researcher’s role on the ORCID record.

We look forward to sharing more information on our progress in the near future.

Warm regards,
            ORCID Community Team

• Encourage users to link ORCIDs at the institution's website when adding an affiliation

When a user adds an affiliation for an institutional partner (which can be determined through a mapping between ringgold IDs and institutional client ORCIDs), a user should be encouraged to visit their institution's website to grant access to their account to their insitution (and so inform the instituion of their ORCID).

This would require institutional partners to provide a URL to be shown to the user for this purpose.

7 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Connections with other systems  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a great suggestion. As we start to develop more with the affiliations we can see how this could fit into the ORCID workflow. We already have a lot on our development plan for the near future (funding, a messaging system, more translations) so we won’t be able to fit this in soon, and we’ll need to think about exactly how it would work. But this is definitely an idea we’ll consider.

Best,
              -Catalina
              ORCID Support

• Correct apostrophied author names in Scopus import

My surname contains an apostrophe. After importing from SCOPUS, all of my papers have my surname as O\'Boyle.

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

We are still working on this issue. We’ve corrected it with Scopus so no more errors like this will be imported in the Registry and are now working on clean up existing records with this problem.

Sorry for our delay in responding to this bug. We are working to correct this error, but the developer we’ve worked with at Scopus has been on long term leave so we haven’t been able to resolve the issue as quickly as we had hoped. I will update you when this bug is fixed and I appreciate you bringing it to our attention.

Best,
                -Catalina
                ORCID Support

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base