I suggest you ...

Incomplete import of records from Scopus and ResearcherID

There are several instances where records are not completely imported into ORCID:

1. Page numbers are sometimes not imported:
• both Scopus and Researcher ID: some journals have article numbers rather than page numbers. These are not imported. Examples are the journals by the American Physical Society.

• Scopus only: page numbers that are preceded by any character other than the numbers 1-9 are not imported, e.g. page numbers starting with a letter.

2. DOI is often not imported into the BibTeX record (both researcherID and Scopus). While the DOI is listed in other parts of the record, the lack of the DOI in the BibTeX sub-record makes the parsing of the ORCID record using the API unnecessarily complex, and the DOI is excluded from BibTeX exports (and possibly also from exports to other formats), and from http://feed.labs.orcid-eu.org

12 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    UlliUlli shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  ORCID SupportAdminORCID Support (ORCID Support Team, ORCID) responded  · 

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your concerns. I believe both of these issue arise from Scopus and ResearcherID as they format the BibTeX that is sent to ORCID. But I want to double check on this, can you point me to an ORCID record that has examples of works the missing information? Once I have that I’ll follow-up with Scopus and ResearcherID to see if the issue is what they are sending or if we’re not handling the BibTeX correctly.

Best,
    -Catalina
    ORCID Support

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • UlliUlli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Catalina,

Many thanks for making ORCID better.

For examples of the issued described above, head over to my ORCID listing at http://orcid.org/0000-0001-5936-339X

1. Lacking DOI:

Check out the entry : "Bio-Inspired Hierarchical Polymer Fiber-Carbon Nanotube Adhesive". I have imported it twice, once from Scopus, once from CrossRef. The Crossref entry lists the DOI in the BibTeX part of the record, the Scopus import does not. Another example is the entry: "Patterning self-assembled monolayers on oxide surfaces using a lift-off technique: Advanced Materials 1999" further down. All entries have the DOI as part of their record but not in the BibTex field. This affects Scopus and ResearcherID in a rather irregular fashion (sometimes the DOI is there, sometimes not).

2. Article Number vs. Page Number:
        This affects nearly all (except for the ones from the previous century) of Physics Review Letters, irrespective how they were imported (Scopus, ResearcherID, CrossRef). Examples: "Segmental Relaxations have Macroscopic Consequences in Glassy Polymer Films", "Aging of thin polymer films cast from a near-theta solvent", "Nonequilibrium polymer rheology in spin-cast films"

You may want to introduce either an "article number" entry into BibTex, but since this is non-standard BibTex, importing the article number into the page number field would be preferable.

3. Page numbers starting with a letter:
        Check out the entry "Reply to Roberts et al.: Reflectivity and pointillist structural color on land and in water", which I have imported twice, once from Scopus and once from ResearcherID. The ReseracherID entry has the page number (E3388), the Scopus entry does not. This is not an isolated incident. I have verified this for ca. 10 cases.

4. While I am at it (and this appears already in a different comment): UTF-8 rendering of CrossRef imports. Check out the "pages" entry of "Labyrinth-Induced Faceted Electrochemical Growth" or "Lessons Learned: From Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells to All-Solid-State Hybrid Devices", the "authors" entry of "Structure formation in P3HT/F8TBT blends" and "Organic field effect transistors from triarylamine side-chain polymers", and the BibTeX "title" entry of "Response to Comment on "Floral Iridescence, Produced by Diffractive Optics, Acts As a Cue for Animal Pollinators""

Feedback and Knowledge Base