I suggest you ...

It is really irritating that a double import does not identify duplicated elements. Tidying up is also tedious.

It is really irritating that a double import does not identify duplicated elements. Tidying up is also tedious.

30 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  ORCID SupportAdminORCID Support (ORCID Support Team, ORCID) responded  · 

Hi,

If you run an import from the same source twice works should not be duplicated in your ORCID record. If you are seeing duplicates please send us your ORCID iD so we can look into this as it is a bug.

For work imported from two different sources, the work often has slightly different metadata, such as a different external link. We are developing a tool that can match these non-exact duplicates but also combine information so unique data (like the multiple external links) is not lost. We hope to have this functionality available in the next couple months.

Best,
    -Catalina
    ORCID Support

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Igor RevaIgor Reva commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My ORCID number is 0000-0001-5983-7743
        I have co-authored more than 100 publications.
        Imported them once from Researcher ID, and twice from SCOPUS
        Curretnly my ORCID record has more than 300 records, most of them triplicated.
        Cleaning this is a big pain...
        The easiest way of identifying articles as unique might be by DOI (Digital Object Identifier).
        Can it be somehow implemented to avoid multiplication of already existing records?

• David W. LawrenceDavid W. Lawrence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For journal articles, matching can approach 100% through the use of
        the first few title words
        author and second author names
        journal name/issn
        beginning page number or location number for online articles or doi

publication year isn't so important because there can be confusion between ahead-of-print items and final versions that cross years.

It is unnecessary to perfectly match everything every time. Give us an easy way to edit and delete our things.

• PeterPeter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, as a minimun, you must make creata an automatic system which can identify when the same item has been imported from researcherID and from SCOPUS.

It is a big pain for the author to go through all the duplicates that your automatic system has created. And this duplication is re-made each time I import e.g. from SCOPUS.

I will refuse to remove the duplicates until you provide something which works better for the authors.

So in case you want a clean and good database and if you want the authors to do work for free for you, you must take care of this issue immedieately!

Feedback and Knowledge Base