I suggest you ...

Allow authors to enter URL of their Wikipedia biography

Where a person registering for an ORCID is the subject of a Wikipedia article, allow them to enter the URL of that article (which may be in English, or any other language).

The veracity of this assertion can be checked, later, by confirming that their ORCID has been added to the article on the English, German (or other?) Wikipedias (or, once implemented, on the corresponding Wikidata entry).

As a Wikipedian involved in the deployment of ORCID on Wikipedia and Wikidata, I'm happy to advise further.

2 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Andy MabbettAndy Mabbett shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  ORCID SupportAdminORCID Support (ORCID Support Team, ORCID) responded  · 

Andy,

Thanks for another great Wikipedia/ORCID suggestion. Right now, users can add links to a Wikipedia profile by providing a link in the Websites area of Personal Information. We’ve also created a brief tutorial on adding websites to further explain this process, it’s at http://support.orcid.org/knowledgebase/articles/148142-linking-to-websites.

Is this the type of link you were thinking of? There’s no way for ORCID to verify these links, but as you pointed out, users could check to see if an ORCID is associated with the article.

Best,
    -Catalina
    ORCID Support

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andy MabbettAndy Mabbett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just adding a note to say that I've been in correspondence with the ORCID team about this, and will be discussing it with them at the Chicago CodeFest in May 2014. I've further suggested that users could be able to enter a Wikipedia URL and ORCID could then fetch the Wikidata iD.

Why is this marked as completed? As I've indicated, the suggested work-around does not meet my suggestion.

Further, this should now be extend to include Wikidata IDs (a single Wikidata ID for a person will link to all the Wikipedia articles about them, in any language).

Also, a Wikipedia article isn't one of the subject's own websites. It's *about* them, not *by* them (and so should not use "rel=me", as suggested elsewhere, for the former type of link).

It's probably better to store Wikidata IDs (or URIs) rather than article URLs.

My suggestion was not about Wikipedia /profiles/ (for people who are Wikipedia /editors/), but Wikipedia biographies, for notable people who have a Wikipedia article /about/ them - and which should not be entered as one of their own websites, as they do not control it.

Further, by maintaining a unique parameter in the ORCID database, the existence and URL of a biography should be query-able vis a future API.

Feedback and Knowledge Base