I suggest you ...

create a function to remove duplicates in "works"

also update spelling of infromation to information !

please enable a function to remove duplicates in "works"

945 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    kristen williamskristen williams shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    F BonhommeF Bonhomme shared a merged idea: put some sort of filter to remove duplicates from the list  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: allow me to merge duplicates in Works  ·   · 
    Xiaochen XieXiaochen Xie shared a merged idea: find a solution for authors to delete their duplicate IDs  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: It is really irritating that a double import does not identify duplicated elements. Tidying up is also tedious.  ·   · 
    victor calovictor calo shared a merged idea: please sort out repeated publications and mark them for deletion or remove them and ask for confirmation after we review the list  ·   · 
    UlliUlli shared a merged idea: Duplicate removal based on identical DOI, ISBN, numbers  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Add button for removing duplicate publications  ·   · 
    FedericoFederico shared a merged idea: collapse duplicate works  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: "Remove Duplicates in Bibliography" feature  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: ensure imported works are de-duped  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Remove duplicates, the find publications has lots of duplicates in it  ·   · 
    started  ·  ORCID SupportAdminORCID Support (ORCID Support Team, ORCID) responded  · 

We’ve working on a feature to prevent duplicates from being added to ORCID records in the coming months. We currently prevent the import of exact duplicates, but if the citation is at all different (such as including an external link, or page number) our system doesn’t mark that as a duplicate. The tool we’re developing will match on external ID and title to organize works, but not entirely remove them as we don’t want to loose the additional information that comes from each source of the work

We’ll update this idea once we’ve completed this tool.

44 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This really isn't good enough. This substantial problem was acknowledged almost a year ago and still no solution is offered. DOI matching is surely simple to implement. Many other publication databases also offer a manual merge function for records.

• Rolf SanderRolf Sander commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unfortunately, ORCID is still useless for me as long as I have all these
        duplicates in my list of papers. There is no need to wait months and
        years for a fancy solution. Simply create a button saying: "Keep this
        entry and delete all others with the same DOI".

• gabgab commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A tool to assist the user for duplicates removal should have been developed well before thinking about integration with other databeses such as ResearchID, Scopus, ... . The multiple selection is also missed. Come on!

This major problem is still hanging around. As others have commented, this makes ORCID unusable. I had thought of updating my records from ResearcherID today, but until ORCID fix this issue I'll stay well away.

• PekkaPekka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The easiest way to do this would be to allow free sorting of works in the editing window. This would be a useful feature on its own and should take all of 30 min to implement. Then it would be relatively easy to remove (delete) duplicate works. Although I do think that automatic duplicate removal would be useful too (for those with hundreds of papers). I gave this feature the highest priority.

• Igor RevaIgor Reva commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My ORCID number is 0000-0001-5983-7743
        I have co-authored more than 100 publications.
        Imported them once from Researcher ID, and twice from SCOPUS
        Curretnly my ORCID record has more than 300 records, most of them triplicated.
        Cleaning this is a big pain...
        The easiest way of identifying articles as unique might be by DOI (Digital Object Identifier).
        Can it be somehow implemented to avoid multiplication of already existing records?

• Elston Van SteenburghElston Van Steenburgh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think an author should be subjected to this orcid torture. I want to submit a paper for publication, not fool around with expired links just to get started. Some start! I quit.

• David W. LawrenceDavid W. Lawrence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For journal articles, matching can approach 100% through the use of
        the first few title words
        author and second author names
        journal name/issn
        beginning page number or location number for online articles or doi

publication year isn't so important because there can be confusion between ahead-of-print items and final versions that cross years.

It is unnecessary to perfectly match everything every time. Give us an easy way to edit and delete our things.

Just re-checked, I still have loads of duplicates (from ResearcherID) and can't delete all at once. Makes ORCID unusable. As people have been saying for more than a year!

• PeterPeter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, as a minimun, you must make creata an automatic system which can identify when the same item has been imported from researcherID and from SCOPUS.

It is a big pain for the author to go through all the duplicates that your automatic system has created. And this duplication is re-made each time I import e.g. from SCOPUS.

I will refuse to remove the duplicates until you provide something which works better for the authors.

So in case you want a clean and good database and if you want the authors to do work for free for you, you must take care of this issue immedieately!

A merge tool could be used, so that the user could combine duplicate entries, into one with complete information, such as page number and external link.

• BradBrad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would seem removing a simple tool to identify duplicate DOI's would be the first step in creating a tool to do this. Either that or a simple "select all works" then delete them followed by re-import from another source would do the trick.

I'm having the same issue, with the same publication being automatically imported from both PubMed and ResearcherID (with different metadata in each case). http://orcid.org/0000-0001-5610-6208

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this - ideally by automatically 'merging' these, or preventing one or the other from coming in at all? Any help gratefully received...

• Rolf SanderRolf Sander commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ORCID is great but these duplicates are a serious problem that needs to
        be fixed soon! However, nothing has been happening for almost a whole
        year now. Until this is fixed, ORCID is quite useless for me. I agree
        that a perfect solution is difficult to obtain but please offer at least
        the option to delete duplicates which have the same DOI. Soon! If
        possible, yesterday :-)

• Nick FinerNick Finer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is crazy - what is the point of allowing or nat least not providing automatic delation of hundreds of duplicates?

• olibreolibre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That is to remove all the unwanted, duplicated files from your machine. Software name is DuplicateFilesDeleter.

The explanation that this is caused by citation being at all different (such as including an external link, or page number) makes no sense: I imported my ResearcherID works, and then did the same again, and each time I do this the counter increases. So even exact replications are added. All the worse because integration with ReasearcherID seems to be "officially supported".
        I completely agree with the others commenters that this is a *major* problem that should be *easy* to fix (even if not perfectly) on *short* notice.

I really wish this feature was in here, so many other places do it. I can't really use ORCID untill I can easily get rid of duplicates. It really is not that hard to do.

Come on guys duplication is not an issue anywhere else. Why can't it just be fixed?

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base