The support.orcid.org website is on a UserVoice platform that has a different privacy policy from our other sites. You may view the details at http://support.orcid.org/tos
X

I suggest that...

Import from BiBTeX, RIS, MODS, etc is essential to start with

In order to sell the ORCID idea to my academic users, I need to demonstrate that my own account is populated, even though in the long term the user will populate from datastores, and the institution may auto-update profiles from the on-campus RIS. Others have asked for this...

30 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Peter FlynnPeter Flynn shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David W. LawrenceDavid W. Lawrence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That said, what happened to this suggestion? Was it developed during the hack-a-thon? Importing and exporting structured metadata is essential. My colleagues are derisively dismissive of ORCID because of the extraordinary mess that is the Works pages. Why would a self-respecting researcher want to be represented by such an error-prone, duplicative, mish-mash? I was an early supporter of the ORCID project and a launch partner. I have experience with operating a bibliographic database. Getting it right is not difficult. We manage more than 900 thousand authors of 450 thousand journal articles, technical reports, theses, books, and book chapters. ORCID IDs could greatly facilitate the disambiguation of authors with multiple name forms. I still want this to work but I am beginning to worry.

• David W. LawrenceDavid W. Lawrence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem with BibTeX is that there are several flavors and the standard for each of them is somewhat different. Unless I am mistaken, there are serious problems with Unicode (UTF-8) and with the need to escape characters. BibTex is not the only "programmable metadata language" if I understand what you mean. I believe that MODS is a more standardized metadata structure.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since bibtex is the only citation format written in a programmable metadata language.
        It is essential for ORCID to have a reliable import of bibtex files.
        Otherwise ORCID excludes major research fields.
        Given the long times the community waits alreads, see the other notes, a major step of ORCID is now necessary.

• Peter FlynnPeter Flynn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What happened to this? There still appears to be no way to import either BiBTeX or RIS format publication data.

• Simon KnightSimon Knight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to vote on this, but it seems I'm not able to...anyway, this is fundamental to encouraging people to use this

Feedback and Knowledge Base