The support.orcid.org website is on a UserVoice platform that has a different privacy policy from our other sites. You may view the details at http://support.orcid.org/tos
X

I suggest that...

Couple ORCID with Research Gate

Hi, I just signed up for ORCID, which is a great initiative. However, the system only found a couple of my publications, and I did not want to enter all others in manually. Would it be possible to couple ORCID to my list of publications at ResearchGate? The latter website had a very easy interface to add publications, and it found all of them without troubles.

28 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Elisabeth BikElisabeth Bik shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    partnership  ·  ORCIDAdminORCID (ORCID Support Team, ORCID) responded  · 

Thanks for submitting your idea to improve the ORCID Registry. We agree that integration with other systems, such as ResearchGate, is important, and would like your help making your idea a reality.

Integrating with another system requires a partnership; it is not something ORCID can do on its own. We need two things to get started: a short specification describing the system and how ORCID should interact with it, and also contact information for who within that organization to partner with to carry out the integration.

Could you provide us with this information or help direct us to who to talk with?

Cheers,

-Laure

Laurel L. Haak, PhD
    Executive Director, ORCID
    L.Haak@orcid.org
    +1-301-922-9062
    http://orcid.org
    http://orcid.org/0000-0001-5109-3700

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • KerryKerry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Research Gate allows researchers to connect, collaborate and share in a way that ORCID does not yet do. So, I would agree that if one product doesn't replace the other, then they should be able to somehow be linked. It just makes sense!

• Walter H F Smith (0000-0002-8814-015X)Walter H F Smith (0000-0002-8814-015X) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What I really need is a feature that would allow ResearchGate to find my publications by using my ORCID, ResearcherID, or GoogleScholar profile. My last name is Smith and so it is an impossibly large task to winnow out all the publications that are not mine when asking ResearchGate to find by name.

• Sate AhmadSate Ahmad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Mr. Frank Veroustraete and the idea that ORCID and ResearchGate must integrate. Out of all of the research profiles, researchgate is the most used and popular. ORCID must come up with a strategy!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

they will never agree, "conflict of interest"
        I suggest to use a robot (like the one used by search ingines) to find all researches belonging for each orcid users, and show those automatically to each user, so the user will accept or decline with just one click for each publication. the robot work is not only oriented to researchgate but also to everywhere.

• Mary ShawMary Shaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I asked ResearchGate about this. They said "Unfortunately its not currently possible to link your profile with ORCID"

The email address from which this was sent looks like a live (i.e., not send-only) address: ResearchGate Community Support <5xork@support.researchgate.net> . Perhaps you can use that address to find a useful contact.

• mielmiel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any news about the RG and ORCID integration/collaboration? Our researchers are asking for the same integration with many of the same arguments as presented below.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had the same sugegstion. I've entered most of my publication data in ResearchGate and won't do this again for another application.

• Frank VeroustraeteFrank Veroustraete commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a matter of fact, I have 200 registered publications of differen tnature regeisterd with ResearchGate. The first automatic search with ORCID gave 26 papers. That's quite a difference.

Acording to me it is a must that organisations like ORCID and ResearchGate (among others) start joint ventures in information exchange.
        I can assure you that I will not be perpared to manually input the remaining publications that ORCID did not find AGAIN. That's a lot of work, and I have other business to attend than perform manual inputs for every organisation interested in the biographies and publication lsist of research scientists.

Secondly, I can look for a contactperson at ResearchGate, but an ORCID director will have to negociate on the topic of information exchange. I don't see this as my task and it would not have much impact either.
        Cheers,

Frank

PS.: NeverthelessI will try to find the best contact person within ResearchGate for ORCID, to talk about data exchnage or even better data sharing, which might run more smoothly..

• John LaCavaJohn LaCava commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed... combining with RG would be very desirable. Also, it could be interesting to integrate with www.Sparklix.com - such that e-lab book contributions can be tracked by ORCID - this allows tracking of data provenance.

• Ping KwanPing Kwan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or ORCID may just develop something similar to the RG score (in which a forum for academic questions may be needed).

Feedback and Knowledge Base