I suggest you ...

Offer an option to make publications "public" by default

Why dis all my Scopus publications imported wind up "Private"? I really don't want to have to go change them one at a time! Offer a "public" setting as a prominent choice!

185 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Alyssa GoodmanAlyssa Goodman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: There should be a way for an indidual author to make all of the published works public without having to click on each one.  ·   · 

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Peter CockPeter Cock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Revisited Orcid today - last time my Scopus import seemed to fail, but it worked this time (bar creating duplicates where a paper was already present, I think that's already been reported). However, having to manually change all the papers from "private" to "public" was incredibly annoying and time consuming: The dialogue window is tiny, even though I have a large monitor, meaning lots and lots of scrolling with the mouse. i.e. For each paper I had to scroll, click to open the popup menu, and click again to select public.

The suggestion to make imported papers default to public is sensible. Improving the interface for managing your "works" would also help.

• stuart.taylorstuart.taylor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I strongly support a default setting of "public" for works/publications

Surely the whole point of initiatives like this is to facilitate openness and identification of published work. The very word "published" means that authors do not have an expectation of privacy in this context.

A secondary point is that for a new initiative like ORCID, we surely want to make the system as easy to use as possible to maximise participation. It's a pain to have to manually change all your publications to "public" and this will surely only have the effect of decreasing engagement/take up?

• Michael TwidaleMichael Twidale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I appreciate the concern about privacy. But surely most people want their publications to be public. That's why they published them in the first place

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should start immediately. I consider ORCID of no use to me until the choice for all publications to be "public" exists.

• Gavin SimpsonGavin Simpson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is more, you can't even change them to be Public once imported, at least today you couldn't when I tried, twice!

Feedback and Knowledge Base