The support.orcid.org website is on a UserVoice platform that has a different privacy policy from our other sites. You may view the details at http://support.orcid.org/tos
X

I suggest that...

Adding "affiliation" as general term

We are considering adding "affiliation" as a general term to describe the relationship between an organization and an individual and would welcome your feedback on this suggestion. In the longer term this could be the top level of a hierarchy to describe an individual's relationship with an organization (affiliation = education, employment, membership (?), other?). This would allow us to group all places together in the same way as "works" is already used as a single category.

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ORCIDAdminORCID (ORCID Support Team, ORCID) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would clearly support this suggestion. A researcher is not always "employed" by the university where she performs research but can still be part of a university research group. E.g., clinical researchers are in many countries employed by the university hospital which is a different organisational entity. Scientific articles usually talk about author affiliations and ORCID should do the same and call it affiliations rather than employments.

• delphine.potierdelphine.potier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to be able to add explanation for an unemployment period in the "employment" section (In my case a maternity leave between two postdocs)

Feedback and Knowledge Base