The support.orcid.org website is on a UserVoice platform that has a different privacy policy from our other sites. You may view the details at http://support.orcid.org/tos
X

I suggest that...

Many journals require institution postal codes as a part of author affiliation. It would be nice for ORCID to be a "one stop shop" for an authors affiliation, rather than having to look up an institution using some other tool. Additionally, RINGGOLD does store institution postal codes for disambiguated institutions.

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Vassily TrubetskoyVassily Trubetskoy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  ORCID (APAC/MEA)AdminORCID (APAC/MEA) (Admin, ORCID) responded  · 

Thank you again for your comment. Again, we are not a registry of organisation information and therefore are marking this idea as declined.

We suggest instead that you look into conversations about organisation IDs being had by us and others — see: http://orcid.org/blog/2016/10/31/organization-identifier-project-way-forward

Warm regards,
    ORCID Community Team.
    --
    Thank you for your comment. Your suggestion falls outside ORCID’s scope. ORCID is about exchanging identifiers related to people, places, and things. We are a Registry for ORCID iDs for individual researchers, and we are not a registry for organisation IDs.

ORCID presently uses Ringgold IDs for education and employment affiliations organisations and FundrefIDs for funding organisations. If you would like further information about those institutions, then the expectation is that you would query the respective registries — Ringgold, Fundref — for more information.

Warm regards,
    ORCID Community Team
    -

Thank you for your suggestion to improve the ORCID Registry.

The way that ORCID helps disambiguate authors is by allowing the author to disambiguate themselves:

1. The journal links the author to ORCID to the OAuth sign in or registration page.

2. The author signs into their account and authorises the connection to the journal.

3. ORCID redirects the author back to the journal’s page and provides the journal with a 6-digit code it can use to obtain the author’s validated ORCID iD.

This means that the journal does not need to disambiguate between ORCID iDs because the author, via ORCID, has already provided the journal with their specific ORCID iD which they control.
    -
    In addition, ORCID does not collect personal data such as home addresses or portal codes. We shall therefore be marking this suggestion as declined. Should you have any additional queries, please contact us at support@orcid.org.

Warm regards,
    ORCID Community Team

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Vassily TrubetskoyVassily Trubetskoy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ORCID currently hosts and serves very, very similar data for affiliations, i.e. institution name, street address, region, city and country. Institution postal code is a natural complement to this information

I understand that dev resources are extremely limited, but please consider adding this simple field! It would be enormously helpful for being able to: 1) contact an author by post, 2) provide a full institutional affiliation to a journal.

(( thank you for ORCID btw, its a great resource!))

Vassily

• Vassily TrubetskoyVassily Trubetskoy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe I was not clear in my proposal. I am interested in getting postal codes for *affiliations*, i.e. the postal code of the institution with which an author is affiliated.

Feedback and Knowledge Base