The support.orcid.org website is on a UserVoice platform that has a different privacy policy from our other sites. You may view the details at http://support.orcid.org/tos
X

I suggest that...

ORCiD inbox links to actual works, not entire list

The Inbox currently shows which service has updated my Work section, and presents a link 'View on your record'. That link shows the entire list of works (for me, it basically goes to https://orcid.org/my-orcid). I often cannot find which work was added. It would be great if somehow that could be made transparent, ideally by opening up the relevant work(s) in a separate window/page.

25 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Lex NederbragtLex Nederbragt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  ORCID (APAC/MEA)AdminORCID (APAC/MEA) (Admin, ORCID) responded  · 

Thank you for your suggestion to improve the ORCID Registry.

At present, the current stable version of the ORCID API, v1.2, does not make it possible to clearly state which items have been added or updated to the ORCID record via the ORCID API. (This is what such notifications are indicating.)

The simplest method to determine what was added or updated at present is by checking the creation date (via more details view). The modification date can also be viewed via the ORCID public API.

The API version currently in development, v2.0, supports the addition and updating of individual works items. It is possible that this could result in more informative notifications.

We would appreciate hearing further suggestions on how the addition/update notifications can improve. What information do you expect to see in them?

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Daniel HimmelsteinDaniel Himmelstein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At a minimum, you need to show the actual identifier of the record that was updated! Also I want to know whether it's an update of an existing record or the creation of a new record.

• Ayla SteinAyla Stein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've gotten several messages in my inbox about works on my profile that have been updated. When I click the "view updates on your record" I'm just taken to the top of my ORCID profile.
        This isn't helpful.

It would be more helpful if this link took the user to the actual work record that was updated instead of the top of user's ORCID profile overall.

• Tom CrockerTom Crocker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In case you want some ideas for how to display edit notifications in a helpful way, consider these examples from MusicBrainz.
        http://musicbrainz.org/edit/open :- a list of changed entities with additions given a green bar, deletions in red, edits in yellow (they also have merges in purple but that doesn't apply here).
        http://musicbrainz.org/edit/40990276 :- an example of an edit showing side-by-side comparison of before and after data with removals highlighted red on the left and additions highlighted green on the right (similar to Wikipedia).

• Matthias GörgesMatthias Görges commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also agree that a generic "CrossRef Metadata Search has updated items in the Work section of your record." is completely meaningless, particularly if one has MANY items in the works section. It also seems that there is no easy way to sort the list by update day to quickly identify candidates that might have been changed. Thanks!

• Luigi RizzoLuigi Rizzo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I'm notified by email that "Crossref has been recently updated" and I login to check the update, it is quite impossible to find/understand which update you refer to. So I suggest you to clearly explain in the notifying email what is the update, to make the cross-check easier when the user login.

• GiulioGiulio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also have the same issue. Unfortunately, for those entries which are inserted in my ORCID record by third parties such as CrossRef there is no creation date. I just see "Preferred source" at the place where a date should be (such as in the entries I manually created)

• Enrico MasalaEnrico Masala commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I definitely support the idea or having the modifications put into evidence in some ways when you login or at least when you click on the link in the notification email. Ideally it should show what is changed, the minimum should be at least to tell which work(s) have been affected.
        If you do not want to keep it in your DBs because it might require too much resources at the moment, please add all information you can in the email you are sending out, and then forget - but at least the info can be kept by interested users by simply keeping your emails.
        Thanks

• Ken AndersonKen Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently, when a message appears in your inbox, it just says that a "work" was "updated" but doesn't say which one nor does it say HOW it was modified. As a result, the message is completely useless. Either don't send such messages since they contain no information or update them to indicate the exact item that was modified and how it was modified. An example: "Your paper 'How to Train a Dragon' was updated to include an additional 500 citations.

• Lex NederbragtLex Nederbragt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for your answer. If there is one or more new additions, it would be great to have them listed (formatted as any other such entries) either in the message in the inbox, or on a page linked from it. If an entry was updated with new/changed information (is that possible?), a before and after shot, ideally with highlights of the changes (or the changed fields) would be most informative - again, in the message in the inbox, or linked from it.

• mcf22mcf22 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Notification needs to say what the change is. or at least what paper has been updated.

Feedback and Knowledge Base