The support.orcid.org website is on a UserVoice platform that has a different privacy policy from our other sites. You may view the details at http://support.orcid.org/tos
X

ORCID iDeas Forum

Thanks for your ideas. The process to turn an idea into an active part of the ORCID Registry is described in the article How are new features decided? (see link) While we want to get to every suggestion, our limited staff time means that some features will have to wait until future development cycles. We look forward to reading your ideas.

I suggest that...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. to add a field to register gender

It would be easy to extract from a database of names the gender of the author. The list of allowed names at each country is public and authors could easily confirm o change the information. The bibliometric networks separated by gender could be a useful tool for redressing inequalities.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is an interesting idea, but not our focus at the moment. Perhaps this would be a good use of the public data file that will be published in October. While there isn’t a gender field in the data you may able to get information based on the names, which, as the commenter mentioned, often indicate gender.

• Give up on bibliography management

ORCID had its public launch 6 months ago and building a bibliography here is still not sufferable for anyone that has more than a handful of publications. (The duplicates issue; maybe also the middle initial issue still.) On the other hand there are fine services through which a researcher can establish a public identity, for example Google Scholar, Research Gate and (starting up) Microsoft Academic Search (and Scopus and Research ID too). I suggest that it should be adequate if ORCID just offers the researcher a page where the person identifies him or herself, with links to whatever other service…

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Connections with other systems  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Providing bibliographic information is one way ORCID helps distinguish researchers. By providing a list of works as part of an ORCID records researchers are able not just to identify themselves by name but by the publications they are associated with. But we agree- there are a lot of other services out there that provide excellent bibliographic management- and ORCID isn’t try to replace them.

• get rid of upfront registration!

I was just about to give it a try but it turns I need to register to do so. Not interested anymore!

With all the new ideas and tools coming up everyday I shouldn't need more than 5 seconds to try yours.

I'm giving you some feedback because I like your web tool, even though this took me longer than 5 sec.

Good luck!

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry you didn’t give ORCID a try. The ORCID Registry is organized around individual iDs and the functions we provide, like importing works and linking to other system, are tied to unique profiles. Other than search, there isn’t any functionality that you can see without creating a profile, which is why you have to register to set anything up. If you have specific questions or concerns you’d like addressed before signing up please let me know as we’d love to have you reconsider creating an ORCID iD.

• Drop all the so "my publications" nonsense and just provide a ID

Lots of other places already display publications, and the last thing that I want to have to do is maintain yet another list of buggy, half missing publications. So, I would suggest that you remove alll this stuff from the website and just concentrate of providing an ID. This would be useful and prevent the current confusion that ORCID is yet another social network for scientists of which there are already hundreds.

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  Connections with other systems  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for submitting your idea to improve the ORCID Registry.

ORCID does not intend to be a researcher profile system—there are a number of systems in use in the research community that address specific requirements for particular groups. ORCID can be a data source for these systems, but we do not have the bandwidth to build such a system.

The overarching mission of ORCID is to provide a persistent and unique identifier to researchers. Persistence is managed with a great business plan. But, as David Lawrence notes, uniqueness requires that we have more information about an individual so that we can implement effective duplicate detection when someone registers or claims an iD. Email is one important data field, but so also are research works from which can be derived co-authors and affiliation information.

Because of this, we will continue to link ORCID with research works and will (with researcher…

• Group or organization as author to register to ORCID

There is no given name and family name of group. How group author can register to ORCID?

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  * Biographical Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • I would like to publisch an article with the title: "On the Origin of Water on Earth and Mars". Can you give me instructions?

I would like to publisch an article with the title: "On the Origin of Water on Earth and Mars."
              Can you give me instruclion how to Register?

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Thanks for contacting ORCID Support!

Unfortunately, I can’t help with your request. ORCID is not a journal publisher, we’re a non-profit organization that aims to solve the name ambiguity problem in research and scholarly communications by creating a central registry of unique identifiers for individual researchers. Our system links with many journal publishers, which is how you may have been directed to our helpdesk. To publish your paper you’ll need to contact the journal directly, or submit your manuscript through the journal’s online system.

If you’d still like to register for an ORCID iD (or if you are being asked to provide for an ORCID iD as part of the manuscript submission process) instructions for how to sign up are at support.orcid.org/knowledgebase/articles/151590-register-for-an-orcid-id

Best,
                -Catalina
                ORCID Support

• In the ABOUT, define what the ORCID ID is and give examples of how it is used.

In the ABOUT section, http://orcid.org/content/about-orcid, define what the ID is and show how it is used. After reading the whole ABOUT section, I had little idea what the ID looked like and how it was meant to be used.

Is the ID just the 16 digit number or does it include the http://orcid

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • display publications in detail

display publications in detail, just like the style of "References" session in a journal article, so that people can easily and directly see enough information about the publication list.

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  ORCID User Interface Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion.

We’ve spent a while finding a display that balances providing information about publications, but not creating extraordinarily long records for authors with numerous publications which have large citations. Our current design of having the work title and date displayed in the main interface and moving all other citation details to a pop-up window is what we’ve found works best overall given the great diversity of publications listed in ORCID records.

Best,
                    -Catalina
                    ORCID Support

• More compact view of full education info

The expanded view of education entries take too much room, you have to scroll to see it all. Something much more compact would be better

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  ORCID User Interface Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve designed the education, and the other sections of an ORCID record, to display a simple compact view for this very reason- so that basic information can be accessed without needed to scroll through details. However, it’s important that we also make all the detailed information about each item available which is why we moved it to the expanded section. This way all the details about an item on your ORCID record is available, but you can still see the basic information in a compact display.

Best,
                      -Catalina
                      ORCID Support

• Add list of invited/contributed talks

It would be nice to have the possibility to add a list of presentations

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

The list of work types offered in ORCID is from the CASRAI Output Standards, which you can find out more about at http://dictionary.casrai.org/research-personnel-profile/contributions/outputs.

Rather than trying to maintain an inclusive list of work-types, ORCID has decided to use this vocabulary so we can focus on our main goal of providing unique identifiers. As the CASRAI vocabulary is update, we will also updated the work-type options in ORCID.

• List the refereed publised works separately from the other published works

It is great that the Orcid website lets you include all of your works, including nucleotide database entries, blog posts and so on, but what ultimately counts on a CV is the list of refereed publications. It would thus be good to have a way to separate at least the refereed publications from the rest. I realise that a previous post suggested implementing a way of sorting things dynamically, but this would be more of a static thing (and thus easier to implement), with the refereed publications listed separately from other published works, much like grants are listed separately from…

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Research Activities-Works  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion, however this is something ORCID can’t take on at this time. Right now we don’t collect information about if works are refereed or not and it’s not something we can tell from the work metadata we do have. We are looking at additional ways of sorting publications, but refereed status isn’t a criteria we can use for sorting at this time.

Best,
                          -Catalina
                          ORCID Support

• 1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Research Activities-Works  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve now implemented the changed suggested by our metadata working group. Edition was not added to the metadata fields but we have added other new fields to let you capture more information about works.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve marked this idea as Under Review because of your suggestion of adding edition to publications. Our metadata working group is currently reviewing what information we capture for works added to an ORCID record and I’ll make sure they consider this suggestion.

Duplicates have been an on-going problem for ORCID, but we hope to roll out a tool that address them shortly. If you are having a problem with duplicates in your ORCID record let me know at support@orcid.org and I can help address it.

Finally, you can add online documents now, it would just be through the manual add step which lets you add any type of work to…

• 1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve just update the list of work types offered in ORCID. The list is now from the CASRAI Output Standards, which you can find out more about at http://dictionary.casrai.org/research-personnel-profile/contributions/outputs.
                              Rather than trying to maintain an inclusive list of work-types, ORCID has decided to use this vocabulary so we can focus on our main goal of providing unique identifiers.

While there is not a category just for media or outreach projects I invite you take a look at the new list, as it is much more comprehensive and may have another category that will work for you.

Best,
                              -Catalina
                              ORCID Support

• UI re-styling

User interface may be re-styled to look more professional. Smaller text, more details. It is user friendly and efficient but looks too simple. In particular the generated ORCID public profile.
                              It could be connected with an European CV creation system (e.g. http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/documents/curriculum-vitae)

4 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion, however at this time ORCID doesn’t have the budget to invest in a full redesign of the Registry. We’re working on improving areas as we can (like the new display of works) but won’t be able to undertake a large re-styling in the near future. In addition, we have to make sure our design works in a number of different languages and mobile platforms which limits the amount of details we can include.

Best,
                                -Catalina
                                ORCID Support

• add all bibtex entry types among your 'work types'

Th 'work type' selector currently misses some categories that are important in academic research. For instance it misses the 'chapter in a book' or 'article in a collection' type of entries that are important when one contributes to a chapter in a book.

To solve these issues why not using at least all the standard entry identifiers used by bibtex plus those introduced by the IEEEtran.bst bibtex class? As a positive side effect, this would make the addition of works for which one already has a bibtex record straightforward.

7 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  2 comments  ·  Research Activities-Works  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  declined  ·  ShaunShaun responded

The list of work types offered in ORCID is from the CASRAI Output Standards, which you can find out more about at http://dictionary.casrai.org/research-personnel-profile/contributions/outputs.
                                  Rather than trying to maintain an inclusive list of work-types, ORCID has decided to use this vocabulary so we can focus on our main goal of providing unique identifiers. As the CASRAI vocabulary is update, we will also updated the work-type options in ORCID.

Best,
                                  -Shaun
                                  ORCID Support

• 4 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Best,
                                    -Shaun
                                    ORCID Support

• add in the oral communications in the conference division

It's missing oral communications in the conference section!

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Collaboration Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

• One uncomfortable point

When I input the details of my work, if I hit a mouse outside of the framework, everything I did disappears. This is really annoying.
                                      I appreciate that if you could fix this problem

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

We’re sorry you’ve had trouble importing your works manually. We encourage you to use the ‘Import Works’ functionality as that tends to be much more user-friendly than adding the works manually.

-Shaun
                                        ORCID Support

• 1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately this is not in the direction ORCID is heading at this point as we are providing unique identifiers. Thanks again!

-Shaun
                                          ORCID Support

• 1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

As it’s been a few months without an update on this iDea I’m going to close it. If you still have suggestions please add them as new iDeas.

Can you tell me more about what features you would like to see to be more specific? We’d love to hear your ideas, but we need more information about what you would like to see before we can consider it.

Thanks,
                                            -Catalina
                                            ORCID Support

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base