The support.orcid.org website is on a UserVoice platform that has a different privacy policy from our other sites. You may view the details at http://support.orcid.org/tos
X

ORCID iDeas Forum

Thanks for your ideas. The process to turn an idea into an active part of the ORCID Registry is described in the article How are new features decided? (see link) While we want to get to every suggestion, our limited staff time means that some features will have to wait until future development cycles. We look forward to reading your ideas.

I suggest that...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. mening

In the list of registered ORCIDs, the last column of the excel says COUNT_EIDS. Whats does EIDS stand for? Thank you

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As it’s been a few months and I haven’t heard back I’m going to close this iDea. if you are still having issues please contact ORCID Support at support@orcid.org
      -

Hi,

Can you let me know where you are seeing COUNT_EIDS? We don’t use that term in the ORCID Registry and we also don’t provide ORCID iDs in Excel format. You may be confusing ORCID with Scopus as Scopus and other Elsevier products use EIDs as a unique identifier.

Best,
      -Catalina
      ORCID Support

• 1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

While we don’t have a way for you to paste in unformatted citations, there are a number of tools which will let you automatically added works to your record without needing to type them manually. If you click the Link works button on your ORCID record, you’ll see a selection of databases which you can import your works from. More information on this feature is at http://support.orcid.org/knowledgebase/articles/188278

Best,
        -Catalina
        ORCID Support

• provide citation counts from "third parties", e.g. Scopus, Web of Knowledge, Google

In short: publication record without citation information is not relevant nowadays. Because there are now at least 3 relevant sources of citations for scholarly papers, it would be good to link the orcid profile with these citation count engines.

The three engines giving reliable citation info are :

* the "official" one: Web of Knowledge. It is 'official' because all journals have/try to have an Impact Factor, and also try to be indexed in Thomson Reuters' database.
        * Scopus/Sciverse (of course)
        * Google (from Google Scholar).

These citation information could be "imported" from these third parties.

23 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Research Activities-Works  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Philippe,

Thank you for submitting your idea to improve the ORCID Registry. I agree that improving citation counts and other measures of research impact are important and can be improved by use of the ORCID registry. However, usage stats are not in scope for ORCID.Instead, we encourage third parties to use ORCID data to derive usage statistics.

In fact, algorithms for measuring usage are being implemented by a number of organizations, several of which are benefiting from ORCID data. Some examples of integrations that will, over time as ORCID is adopted, improve search engine accuracy and also calculation of article-level metrics:

Thomson Reuters has already contacted publishers about submitting ORCID iDs with their articles, and has also been working on integrating their Researcher ID with ORCID iDs. The latter will be fully rolled out in January 2013.

Scopus has integrated with ORCID and allows researchers to review and validate…

• Add detailed contact information (title, affiliation, address, phone number, ...)

I would like to add my professional contact information on my profile.
          As QR codes have possible to generate leading to my ORCID page, I would like to use it on my business cards. But it is still missing the basic informations above.
          As more information is available, it should be available to customize the QR codes with more information.

4 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  ORCID Record - Personal Information  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, however ORCID isn’t the right system to collect that information. ORCID records are specifically designed not to collection personally identifiable information (other than email address). The information on an ORCID record is about the career and research of an individual; ORCID is about linking the researcher to their research-outputs, not providing personal details. Other services that offer profiles for researchers would be a better service for recording someone’s gender.

That being said, the biography field is free text and some researchers use that to record additional information such as their phone number and address.

Best,
            -Catalina
            ORCID Support

• remove the "-" from the display of IDs to make displayed ORCID a subset of ISNI.

https://orcid.org/blog/2013/04/22/orcid-and-isni-issue-joint-statement-interoperation-april-2013

"The ORCID iD is compatible in format with the ISNI ISO Standard (ISO 27729)." - compatible? What does that mean?

http://support.orcid.org/knowledgebase/articles/116780-structure-of-the-orcid-identifier
            "The ORCID iD is a URI with a 16-digit number that is compatible with the ISO Standard (ISO 27729)"

But then you email me

"Your sixteen digit ORCID identifier is 0000-0002-5945-7502"

0000-0002-5945-7502 is not sixteen digit.

2 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Sorry for our delay in replying. ORCID’s relationship with ISNI is explained more fully at http://support.orcid.org/knowledgebase/articles/115265-what-is-the-relationship-between-isni-and-orcid. ORCID iDs have the same format at ISNIs and come from a block of numbers ISNI has reserved to ensure there is no overlap, but ORCID is not a subset of ISNI.

Your ORCID iD is sixteen digits. The hyphens are include for readability, but your ORCID iD will resolve without them ( with the URL orcid.org/0000000259457502). Clients shouldn’t have an issue with the hyphens as they are standard characters to include in URLs, and they can always be escaped if there is an issue.

Best,
              -Catalina
              ORCID Support

• Make it impossible to assign more than one ORCID to publication per author listed

It seems that currently, more than one ORCID can be assigned to a given publication for the same author name. An example from the documentation http://pub.orcid.org/v1.1/search/orcid-bio/?q=digital-object-ids:%2210.1087/20120404%22 This record lists two different ORCIDs for "Paglione, Laura" Which one should be used?

It's thus conceivable that a user who forgets that they have already created an ORCID account, could create another one and assign themselves to the same paper. It's also conceivable that someone could claim a publication as their own when this is not the case.

Therefore, when an author from the list of authors has already been assigned an ORCID,…

5 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  API Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your question. To better answer your question, it may be helpful to understand how information gets attached to an ORCID Record. Each link between an ORCID iD and an item (such as one represented by a DOI) is stored separately in the ORCID Registry, and is explicitly put there by the iD holder. When doing a search on something like a DOI, you will see each of the ORCID Records that have this DOI included in it. For example, for the DOI you searched (dx.doi.org/10.1087/20120404) 5 search results are found:
                http://orcid.org/0000-0003-3188-6273 (Laura Paglione)
                http://orcid.org/0000-0002-2123-6317 (Howard Ratner)
                http://orcid.org/0000-0002-5993-8592 (Ed Pentz)
                http://orcid.org/0000-0001-5109-3700 (Laurel Haak)
                http://orcid.org/0000-0003-1419-2405 (Martin Fenner)

This means that these five individuals explicitly put this DOI onto their records, and assuming that none of them has done so in error, you would consider these individuals to be contributors to this article. Note…

• 1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As it’s been a few months and I haven’t heard back I’m going to close this iDea. if you are still having issues please contact ORCID Support at support@orcid.org

Hi,

Can you provide me with more information about how you think ORCID could improve our system search? We’d be interested in hearing your suggestions, but I’ll need more specific ideas before we can act on this.

Thanks,
                  -Catalina
                  ORCID Support

• Add a "Presentations" category under Conferences

Under the "Conferences" pull-down, it would be very helpful to have a "Presentations" choice. Many, many conference presentations are never published in a journal or proceedings.

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

The list of work types offered in ORCID is from the CASRAI Output Standards, which you can find out more about at http://dictionary.casrai.org/research-personnel-profile/contributions/outputs.
                    Rather than trying to maintain an inclusive list of work-types, ORCID has decided to use this vocabulary so we can focus on our main goal of providing unique identifiers. As the CASRAI vocabulary is updated, we will also update the work-type options in ORCID.

Best,
                    -Catalina
                    ORCID Support

• Show details

I don't understand why we have to click "show details" to get basic information as authors, volume, number and page. I have similar article and it's difficult to differentiate them quickly and easily.

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  * Metadata/Data Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

The ORCID system was designed to not show all the information about articles by default as some researcher have works with a lot of information, such as papers with hundreds of co-authors. Loading all this information at once slows down the system and makes it harder for those individuals to navigate through their record.

Best,
                      -Catalina
                      ORCID Support

• Modify the method for eliminating duplicate records

My experience is that SCOPUS is an unreliable "collector" for ORCiD: it missed some 20 or so of my publications, with no apparent pattern. Therefore I uploaded a complete bibtex file. The result was that there were many duplicates, which I proceeded to eliminate. The way ORCiD is set up at the moment makes this a very slow process: one can't simply check all articles to be deleted, then hit "Do it!" Instead, it's a one-by-one process and after each elimination there's a wait until ORCiD staggers back to its feet, following which one must navigate down to the next…

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  ORCID User Interface Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Sorry you had such a frustrating experience adding works to your ORCID record. Duplicates are handled by the ORCID system based on identifiers, like DOIs and ISBNs, if either the Scopus import or your BibTeX file did not include identifiers (or used different identifiers) there was no way for our system to identify the works as duplicates. More about how duplicates work is at http://support.orcid.org/knowledgebase/articles/462032

For the BibTeX file, I am surprised to hear that you needed to modify it to add a comma on the last line as that should not be required and we’ve successfully loaded other files without that. If you can send us a copy of the files that did and didn’t load to support@oricd.org we can take a look and see if we need to fix something with our BibTeX parser.

Thanks,
                        -Catalina
                        ORCID Support

• include gender

We support the use of orcid for our authors, since there are often a number of persons with the same name, especially in China. But it would seem useful, if orcid were to include the gender of the person. With Chinese, it is often impossible to know and then women are being contacted as if they were men. I think that gender is still politically correct.
                        Regards,
                        Joe Richmond, PhD
                        Editor
                        Advanced Synthesis & Catalysis
                        orcid.org/0000-0003-2187-931X

5 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  * Biographical Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

While I can understand your reason for wanting to know a researcher’s gender, ORCID isn’t the right system to collect that information. ORCID records are specifically designed not to collection personally identifiable information (other than email address). The information on an ORCID record is about the career and research of an individual; ORCID is about linking the researcher to their research-outputs, not providing personal details. Other services that offer profiles for researchers would be a better service for recording someone’s gender.

Best,
                          -Catalina
                          ORCID Support

• publication

Hi,
                          It would be great if you include full details of publication along with hyperlink.
                          Something like this; title, authors and publication details. If someone hover on it, should show hyperlink which can be connected to respective paper on web or etc
                          Thank you
                          Veeranagouda Yaligara

3 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Research Activities-Works  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

The full publication information (and links to the paper) should be shown when you hover over the plus sign next to the title. We’ve hidden this information from the initial list as it creates a much easier to read list for authors who have numerous publications with long citations and lists of authors

Best,
                            -Catalina
                            ORCID Support

• None of the above

I was surprised that you didn't allow free-form comments in your survey. I wanted to say that, from my point of view, the ORCID system is just one more electronic citation and connection service, along with ResearchGate and Academia.com, etc. I don't need more details or web pages to keep track of, and I'm certainly not interested in anyone forcing more reporting requirements on me. My papers can easily be found through standard library search systems. You'd really have to offer me some incentive to be interested in ORCID.

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your feedback. We limited the number of free text comments in our survey​ ​
                              to reduce the amount of time it takes to complete. To respond to your other comments, ORCID is not itself a researcher profile system like ResearchGate or academia.edu – rather, we ​are a non-profit organization that provides a persistent unique digital name (identifier) for researchers. We work with the community to integrate this identifier into key research and scholarly workflows to ensure that a researcher’s work can be distinguished and correctly attributed. Ultimately, this reduces the amount of time you spend updating records in various systems (including in profile systems).

Alice
                              Communications Director
                              ORCID

• 1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                1 comment  ·  ORCID User Interface Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • 3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  * Metadata/Data Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

A Universal Open Access Repository would be a great thing, but it’s not something ORCID can provide. Our goal is to create a database of identifiers for researchers, and the ORCID Registry is specifically not a repository for works, only work metadata can be added to records.

If you’d like to search the ORCID Registry for metadata to harvest I suggest looking at our API or using the public data file we provide once a year.

Best,
                                  -Catalina
                                  ORCID Support

• Attach affected email(s) when trying to register existing user via API

When trying to register a user with a primary or secondary email that already exists in the database, the API respons with HTTP 400 and a short error description. It would be helpful if the API also returned which email(s) that already are registered in the system, so this can be presented to the user, making it perhaps easier for him/her to retrieve the existing account.

4 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  API Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

I wanted to update you on the status on this idea. While this was something that we were planning to do, after reviewing the privacy concerns it is not a suggestion we can implement. Our privacy policy makes it clear we do not share an information a user has marked as private and returning an ORCID iD based on a private email address violates this policy.

For members looking at creating records we suggest you review our Create on Demand process at http://members.orcid.org/create-records which avoids the issue of creating duplicate records entirely.

Best,
                                    -Catalina
                                    ORCID Support

• Author lists and the associated ORCiDs are not provided in article metadata

ORCiD provides poor information about the authors of articles associated to a given ORCiD. Most of the time, they have to be retrieved from the BibTeX metadata, which has no ORCiD in it.

This can be observed with the API. For instance, here is represented one of the works of http://orcid.org/0000-0003-4371-1286:

"work-citation" : {
                                    "work-citation-type" : "BIBTEX",
                                    "citation" : "@article { duch2007,\n\ttitle = {On the average cost of insertions on random relaxed K-d trees},\n\tjournal = {Proceedings of the 9th Workshop on Algorithm Engineering and Experiments and the 4th Workshop on Analytic Algorithms and Combinatorics},\n\tyear = {2007},\n\tpages = {194-200},\n\tauthor =…

3 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Thanks for you suggestion, however this is not something ORCID can fix. The works added to users’ records all come from sources outside the ORCID Registry. The works are either imported from one of the tools that offers a Search & Link Wizard with ORCID or are added by the user. And the metadata for each work is supplied by the source of the work. Some sources provide information in the work-contributor field, while others, like Scopus, which is the source of the work you reference, do not. However, most sources include information in the citation field (in BibTeX or another format) so this information can be retrieved.

Best,
                                      -Catalina
                                      ORCID Support

• Assign ORCIDs to sets of co-authors

I work with an institutional repository now depositing a paper with more than 300 co-authors. We're also talking about what we'd do with the paper reported in Nature News with more than 5,000 co-authors.
                                      http://www.nature.com/news/physics-paper-sets-record-with-more-than-5-000-authors-1.17567

Here's a thought. Imagine that ORCID allowed a researcher to create a set of co-authors for a given paper by clicking ORCID checkboxes, roughly as Gmail users can create an email list by clicking individual Gmail contacts. The resulting set of authors would have a single ORCID. It might be used only once, or it might be used many times, depending upon how many times…

10 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, but the ORCID Registry is designed specifically for assigning identifiers to individual researchers. The Registry’s functionality, our terms of use, and the basic design of how ORCID iDs are link to publications and other research outputs are all based on a single individual person associated with the ORCID iD. Redesigning everything to allow for iDs assigned to a group isn’t feasible for us. While we agree that a solution to identify groups of authors is needed, that solution isn’t ORCID identifiers.

Best,
                                        -Catalina
                                        ORCID Support

• BibTeX import does not have missing "Contributor" field...

BibTeX imported entries do not have "Contributor" fields for some reason. The "citation" field correctly has the author information though.

When I pull my entries from NCBI SciENcv system to create the CV, no author information is transferred.

I think this is a bug in the ORCID import function, but not sure.

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          2 comments  ·  * Metadata/Data Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Works in the ORCID record do not capture contributors in their own field. Instead contributors are included as part of the citation field.

Best,
                                          -Catalina
                                          ORCID Support

• Allow batch entry of works via structured template (e.g. csv)

My publications aren't in any of your listed sources. So I need to enter my publications manually. I click on this option and find I have to enter them one by one. 20 or so fields 40 times. Arrgh! How about allowing batch uploads of multiple records at once using a simple structured document format, e.g. .csv. New users could then upload all their existing publications in a single action. I am not sure I have the patience to do this initial record-by-record upload :-)

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Just letting you know that we now offer a new tool to batch enter works form BibTeX format. For information about that tool see http://support.orcid.org/knowledgebase/articles/390530. In addition the list of tools you can use to automatically import works from our member databases has also increased, see http://support.orcid.org/knowledgebase/articles/188278

With these new tools available we will not be working on a way to add works from a csv file, so I’m closing this iDea. Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback.

Thanks,
                                            -Catalina
                                            ORCID Support

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base