The support.orcid.org website is on a UserVoice platform that has a different privacy policy from our other sites. You may view the details at http://support.orcid.org/tos
X

ORCID iDeas Forum

Thanks for your ideas. The process to turn an idea into an active part of the ORCID Registry is described in the article How are new features decided? (see link) While we want to get to every suggestion, our limited staff time means that some features will have to wait until future development cycles. We look forward to reading your ideas.

I suggest that...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. unnecessary horizontal scrolling

Please remove horizontal scrolling. It is quite annoying and does not serve any apparent purpose since the margins are empty anyway. It just makes the website feel a bit wiggly. Here is one example:
    http://orcid.org/blog/2013/08/08/suggested-practices-collection-and-display-orcid-ids-publishing-workflows
    Other ORCID pages lack the wiggliness.
    I understand it might be platform dependent. I use Firefox 47.0 on Mac OS 10.10.5.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  ORCID User Interface Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Since we haven’t heard from you in a long time, we assume the issue is now solved.

If the issue persists, please send us a screenshot demonstrating what you see to support[at]orcid.org

Warm regards,
      ORCID Community Team

• data to grant and award system is broken or fruadulent

fix it..you have the same data i do so i shouldnt have to fill out anything else..either you havent caught up or the whole thing is fraud

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Since we did not hear back from you, we assume you contacted UberResearch and the issue is now solved.

If you are having any issues with your ORCID record, please contact us at support[at]orcid.org

Best regards,

ORCID Community Team

• reduce the usage of scripting on your pages. Makes it really hard to use, particularly on mobile.

ORCID needleslly uses a lot of javascript to do, well, not much. HTML and HTML5 work regardless of your browser of choice, and don't make your website look really bad on lots of browsers (particualrly mobile!).

For example as I type this, there are several items of overlapping text, lots of cut-off text, and generally it looks very rough-cut.

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for contacting ORCID Support.

Could you please let us know which area of the site you are referencing? There are:

It would also be helpful to contact support@orcid.org if you have any loading issues with these pages.

Warm regards,
          ORCID Community Engagement and Support

• ORCID

It would be great if ORCID had a 'Follow' function, which alerted the follower whenever the ORIC ID holder added a new item (e.g. grant, publication, position) in their profile and this item has been set as publicly visible.

5 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  ORCID User Interface Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your suggestion to improve the ORCID Registry.

ORCID has a feature for clients which have been permission by an individual to read trusted party data on that ORCID record to subscribe and receive an alert whenever that ORCID record is updated. They can then update their own systems’ databases with the data from the ORCID record. These are called webhooks, and you can read more about them here:
            https://members.orcid.org/api/tutorial-webhooks

On the user interface, this does not come fully under our goals at present, so we will mark this as declined. This is because ORCID is not a profiling system or social network — other organisations which are already integrated with ORCID provide those services, and they provide them quite well. Rather, we are a registry of unique, persistent identifiers for individuals — the ORCID iD — as well as a hub for connecting researchers with their output…

• I suggest you put a button "logout", because button "sign out"

I think it would be a good idea, to put a button "logout", because the name of the button "Sign out" suggests signing out i.e. removing the account.

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your suggestion. We’re going to mark this as declined, as ORCID uses “sign in” and “sign out” to refer to signing into and out of an account for the sake of consistency.

In addition, using the verbal phrases beginning with “log” can leave an impression to some of inputting credentials to access terminals, rather than virtual services, which gives support to the sustained use of “sign in/out”.

Warm regards,
              ORCID Community Team

• New integrator: Wikipedia

This is a new section for http://orcid.org/organizations/integrators/current ; feel feel to edit for style / grammar / etc

Wikipedia

The English language version of wikipedia provides ORCID support (for both the subjects of biographies and for editors) using a template which cross walks more than 30 different authority control systems. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Authority_control for more information. In the background the information is stored in the language-independent semantic database Wikidata using the property https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P496

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                2 comments  ·  Connections with other systems  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

ORCID is very excited about how Wikipedia has been able to add ORCID iDs to it’s editors and articles. However, we use the term integrator to only refer to organizations that use the ORCID API to get verified ORCID iDs. Organizations that accept ORCID iDs via manual entry or look up are not considered integrators. The current integrators list is intended to provide resources about how organizations are using the ORCID API, not just a list of all systems that make use of ORCID iDs.

Best,
                -Catalina
                ORCID Support

• 48 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  7 comments  ·  ORCID Record - Personal Information  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • You should reconsider your website navigation.

After signing in I could go to "settings", but from there no links were leading elsewhere (except to "sign out"). I think after signing in there shold be a navigation panel.

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    1 comment  ·  * Search/Browse  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

I’m sorry you ran into an issue with the ORCID navigation. What you described is not how it is supposed to work as there should always be a top navigation bar to get you to your ORCID record, account settings, and the inbox, as well as being able to sign out.

If you’re still seeing this issue can you send us a screen shot of the problem? We can use that to determine what is going wrong and how to fix it.

Thanks,
                    -Catalina
                    ORCID Support

• correct translation English-Spanish of "type of work" categories

Now, if I want to see my journal articles under "journal-article" I am registering them as "artículo noticioso" which is not correct because it means "news article"

2 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Create dynamic QR codes

I understand that the current QR codes generated include only a fixed information. So if I update my information on ORCID, I need to produce a new QR code. This kind of static QR codes can easily be generated on many websites.
                      It would be nicer to have a QR code that gets updated when my profile is updated. This would give me the possibility to update my contact information, or fix errors in the information without having the change the code everywhere it was used.
                      It would be a nice added value to ORCID compared to other websites.

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  ORCID Record - Personal Information  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

The QR codes shouldn’t be sending fixed information, but instead should provide a link to your current, public ORCID record with the most up to date information. If you’re not seeing this when you test it, send us the QR code you generated that links to old information at support@orcid.org and we can look into what is going wrong.

Best,
                        -Catalina
                        ORCID Support

• Make bibtex import work better. I imported hundreds of articles. I then edited about ten of them. Logged out. Only 5 articles kept:( ANGRY

Make bibtex import work better.
                        Don't piss away hard work done by a user. Where did my work go?
                        I imported hundreds of articles. I then edited about ten of them. Logged out. Only 5 articles kept:( ANGRY FACE! A lot of my edits were ones that could be automated (e.g. ISBN-10 and ISBN-13 not recognised as meaning "ISBN"!) But the most angry-making thing is that a load of my editing work just vanished with no warning. It is really rude of you to waste a user's time like that.

5 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

I’m so sorry you ran into this error. After clicking save on a work it should not be deleted from your record, that is clearly a bug with our system. If you let me know your ORCID iD I can take a look at you record and see if we can determine what happened.

In addition, we can certainly look at having more fields automatically map. If you can provide us a list of suggestions on BibTeX fields and what they should map to in an ORCID record we can add them to our importer. As BibTeX offers so many fields, not all were included when we initially set up the importer.

Also, if you’re adding hundreds of articles to your ORCID record you may want to look at using one of our import tools at http://support.orcid.org/knowledgebase/articles/188278-import-works-website-user. We offer a BibTeX import tool as it was requested by…

• Add md5 hash of email address(es) to public API response

Most users do not want to make their email address public. Providing a md5 hash of the address would be a workaround to allow profile matching based on email address without exposing the email address publicly.

This idea has been used for many years by the gravatar service.

22 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  API Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your suggestion.

After carefully reviewing this idea, we’ve decided not to proceed with it.

It is considered a security risk if a “forget password” feature displays if an email address is active in a system. By allowing members to search email address hashes across ORCID, we would be imposing this same risk of data mining.

At this time we will not move forward with this feature due to the ORCID Trust implications.

Warm regards,

ORCID Community

• Citation Report

It would bevery helpfull, if you could provide a Citation Report, including h-index and number of citations.

Thanks,

Christian

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              2 comments  ·  * Interfaces with other services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your suggestion to improve the ORCID Registry.

ORCID does not provide an h-index or citation count. The focus of ORCID is not looking at research impact, but identifying your research outputs. ORCID’s goal is to solve the name ambiguity problem in research and scholarly communications by creating a central registry of unique identifiers for individual researchers. That’s the sixteen digit identifier you got when you registered for an ORCID record, and that identifier will be linked to your articles, grants, and other researcher output. While these outputs can be listed on your ORCID record, we don’t gather information about the impact or citations of these items.

Warm regards,

ORCID Community Team

• Clever importing of Bibtex (handle re-importing the same bibtex file)

Usage: I maintain a single bibtex file, and each time it changes, I simply upload the last version of the bibtex file to Orcid (with new entries or modification of existing entries).

Problem: When reimporting a bibtex files with new entries, orcid duplicates the data for the existing entries (2 sources instead of one single source that is updated)

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your suggestion.

As you may imagine, much as we do not disambiguate researchers based on the name alone, we do not disambiguate works (or funding or peer review items) based on the name alone. Grouping is based on the persistent identifier (PID). When multiple works, for example, are added from different sources with the same identifier, they are grouped together on the ORCID record.

We see this as a good thing: Multiple versions mean multiple assertions of the same data, e.g. a work. This builds trust in the data belonging to that user.

An example can be seen on the record of our Executive Director Laure Haak (https://orcid.org/0000-0001-5109-3700):

The article “ORCID: connecting researchers and scholars with their works” published in Insights: the UKSG journal has been added by two sources: Crossref and Scopus. The DOI identifier is the same, so the two…

• ORCID icons format

On [1], the ORCID icons are given in PNG and GIF formats. This does not allow for seamless scaling of the icons when needed in different sizes.
                                Please provide an ORCID icon in a scalable vector format, e.g., SVG.

[1] http://orcid.org/trademark-and-id-display-guidelines

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  4 comments  ·  Connections with other systems  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

To get a copy of the ORCID logo in a vector format please request one at support@orcid.org and include some information about how you’ll be using it. We’re happy to provide a vector logo for most uses, but we like to know where nonstandard sizes of our logo are going to go, which is why we only publish the logo in png and gif formats.

Best,
                                  -Catalina
                                  ORCID Support

• I'd like a way to name a "role-based email" for a trusted individual

I see there is a way now to name someone as a 'trusted individual' to update our record. This might be useful e.g. for getting an individual to look after the profiles of all (say 50) members of a department. However, what happens when the trusted individual leaves employment? would all 50 members have to find a new trusted individual?

A possible solution might be to allow a group of trusted individuals to update records, so that if one person leaves, other members of that group can still update the records.

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  ORCID Record - Personal Information  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

Thanks for your suggestion to improve the ORCID Registry. The individual ORCID record holder is to choose the trusted individual (ORCID record holder) is able to assist them to personally administer their account. If that trusted individual leaves their institution, they can choose to still retain that trusted individual, or remove their access.

If you would like to have a more open option that is not based on an individual’s ORCID record, then we would suggest that your organization (department, faculty, institution, etc.) look into using the ORCID API to obtain access to manage the account as a trusted organization. For more on this, see ORCID for research organizations: https://members.orcid.org/research-organizations

Warm regards,
                                    ORCID Community Team

• Allow users to upload pdf file of their publications

Allowing users to upload the pdf file for each featured publication (files not to be made public, however) would help much. Indeed, this would make the ORCID user profile a repository allowing the user to download his/her own publications when he/she is out of his office (and for some reason, he/she needs a copy of his/her publications, e.g., during Conferences or Congresses, scientific meetings, etc.).

4 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggest, but this outside of the scope of ORCID’s current mission. Right now we’re just focused on ways for researchers to add information and link to complete documents; we don’t have the space or tools to effectively allow for pdf storage.

But you should look into Figshare http://figshare.com, an ORCID member, which provides free storage for research data as well as publications. And you can link your Figshare account to ORCID, just enter your ORCID iD when you sign up.

Best,
                                      -Catalina
                                      ORCID Support

• you add email address to the search field when looking up ORCID ID

Allow searching for ORCID ID by email address as well as name. This would help when one author is uploading a paper and is looking for their co-authors details (especially if they have a common name).

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  ORCID User Interface Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is not something that we are likely to implement and we are therefore marking it as declined. The visibility setting on email addresses is set to be private by default, and less than 2% of email addresses on the 2+ million ORCID records are visible to the public. This means that offering email addresses as a search option is unlikely to retrieve much information.

In addition, we do not recommend that you submit your co-author’s ORCID iDs manually. Rather, your manuscript submission system should request that co-authors authenticate their ORCID iDs with their system by signing into their ORCID account.

Finally, note that searching by email is an option on the ORCID API. You can read more about this at: https://members.orcid.org/api/tutorial-searching-data-using-api

Warm regards,

ORCID Community Team

• Add access-control-allow-headers: "...Authorization"

I might be missing something, but... When retrieving data from the public API using the method described at [1], you first fetch an access_token, which then has to be passed in the Authorization header for the subsequent request. Since that is not a CORS-safelisted request-header, though, the browser first performs an OPTIONS request.

The response does include an "access-control-allow-headers" header, but this doesn't whitelist the Authorization header, upon which the browser blocks the actual request.

Thus, it'd be nice if that could be added, at least for the /orcid-bio/ request.

[1] https://members.orcid.org/api/tutorial-retrieve-data-using-public-api

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  API Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

ORCID does not offer a secure method to exchange credentials via the browser, which is why we limit its use. We therefore shall mark this idea as declined.

We would suggest instead that you exchange credentials in a server-to-server setting. You are welcome to join the ORCID API Users Group, a public listserv for all users of the ORCID API as well as members of our development and community teams, to discuss some ideas on how to do this (node.Js). Join us at https://groups.google.com/group/orcid-api-users

Warm regards,
                                          ORCID Community Team

• users authorization

anyone can sign to ORCID, that is wonderful, but if considering usage of ORCID as a base for providing access to authenticate other services, it is crucial to verify the customer is who it claims to be.

the idea is, for all the users (despite their being a member of ORCID member/integrated organisation), ask them (can be offered as a feature), to "verify" their account. is done by sending a 0.1$ (some insignificant amount of money) to the special bank account of ORCID. After transfer received, the name of the payer becomes a customer name in ORCID profile. ORCID API…

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your suggestion to improve the ORCID Registry.

In 2016, we launched the ORCID Trust Program, which describes how we are working to improve our trustworthiness through four key concepts: Individual Control; Reliable Registry; Community Accountability; and Information Integrity. For more on this, see the https://orcid.org/about/trust/home

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base