The support.orcid.org website is on a UserVoice platform that has a different privacy policy from our other sites. You may view the details at http://support.orcid.org/tos
X

ORCID iDeas Forum

Thanks for your ideas. The process to turn an idea into an active part of the ORCID Registry is described in the article How are new features decided? (see link) While we want to get to every suggestion, our limited staff time means that some features will have to wait until future development cycles. We look forward to reading your ideas.

I suggest that...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. API v2.0 be allowed to update the biography as API v1.2 currently can

We're beginning a project asked for by our academics to allow them to have an on campus "research hub" that can then push details of their publications, funding, etc out to the myriad of different third party services they use, including ORCID. As part of the early stage development of this I've got some code running the successfully updates a user's biography in ORCID via the v1.2 API in the sandbox. Works well.

I've now read that API v1.2 will be retired later in 2017, so tried to move my code to API v2.0 in the sandbox. Unfortunately in v2.0…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  API Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your suggestion to improve upcoming versions of the ORCID API.

Unlike most other parts of the ORCID record, the biography is a single field — it hasn’t a put code as it exists only in the singular. So to update it, your system would need to fully overwrite the biography, potentially removing what the user has already input.

The rationale behind not having the biography field be editable by any party other than the user is the same as why users cannot edit data that a client application has added: only the source of the data should be able to edit that data.

Could you provide some suggestions for consideration of how this could benefit users and workflows that could work for all parties?

Thank you.

Warm regards,
      ORCID Community Team

• Implement client-side OAuth authentication

So that client-side (usually Javascript) applications can interact with the ORCID API, please support client-side OAuth authentication.

Google's developer site has a good overview of how it should work: https://developers.google.com/accounts/docs/OAuth2UserAgent

9 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  API Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. We’re concerned that client-side OAuth can be a serious security issue, and it would take our team a long time to work through adding it securely. At this point you might instead look into using a nodejs OAuth Proxy.

• use ISO 8601 on the home page

http://orcid.org/ it says

12/08/2014

could be 12 August or December 8

use non-ambiguous ISO 8601 format instead. Also avoids bias towards US or European format.

8 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re reopening this request as we’ve been notified that there are some dates which are not ISO 8601 complaint. We are looking to address this issue.

We’ve thus far found two:
          https://orcid.org (news list, right column)
          https://orcid.org/statistics

If you see any others on orcid.org or members.orcid.org, please let us know.

(n.b. support.orcid.org is hosted on a third-party service, so we need to investigate whether they can enable ISO-8601 on the forum section of the site.)

Warm regards,
          ORCID Community Team

• add Artist or Illustrator to Role

the images in articles are important scientific works as well.

7 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Research Activities-Works  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Our Metadata Working Group is currently reviewing the roles offered in the ORCID Registry. I’ll pass the suggestion of Artist or illustrator on to them and update this idea once the committee has made their final recommendations.

• Allow users to define default preferred source for works, e.g. Scopus, then CrossRef, then...

Users may use multiple sources to find all research outputs, e.g. Scopus, CrossRef, etc.. The metadata from these may vary and some may be more suitable for export to other systems, e.g. Elsevier's PURE.

It would be useful to allow users to set a default preferred source (or priority order) for the online sources they have set up. At present, the user can only change the preferred source, case by case, for each output.

8 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Research Activities-Works  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your suggestion to improve the ORCID Registry. We are considering this feature and will let you know if we decide to accept it for future development.

Warm regards,
              ORCID Community Engagement and Support

• Add a preprint field to direct to openly available versions of a work

Please consider adding a new field for a preprint identifier or link that could be added to existing works. This would allow someone visiting a profile to find an openly accessible version of a work (e.g., journal or conference paper).

In many fields, "green open access" is more practical than "gold open access" due to a lack of recognized OA journals. Thus, many authors wanting to make a paper available will submit it to a preprint server (such as arXiv, figshare, or Zenodo) in addition to publishing in a traditional (closed) journal.

Currently, there doesn't seem to be an obvious…

33 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your suggestion to improve the ORCID Registry.

We’re going to add this to our list of improvements to consider for the future and will update here accordingly.

That said, do note that it is currently possible to import a work that is available from Figshare and Zenodo to the ORCID record via Datacite (see e.g. this document shared by ImpactStory http://goo.gl/Fjn8x ). : )

Warm regards,

• Users have finer control over access by Trusted Organizations

Currently access by Trusted Organizations is all or none. It would be great if users could specify the access type for each organization, e.g. with checkboxes or sliders. In addition, a panel to set defaults for new links to trusted orgs., e.g. always allow contact info to be seen, never allow activity to be edited, etc.

2 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Managing Privacy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Allow re-ordering of information 'blocks' in ORCID profile

At the moment my profile is ordered with 'Education' at the top, followed by things like employment, funding and 'works'.

I would like to have my publications ('works') at the top of my profile instead of at the bottom, but there doesn't seem to be a way that I can change the order of the boxes.
                  I could set all the other boxes to 'private' so that only my publications show up, but I don't want to simply hide all the other information.

It would be excellent if you could allow users to move the 'blocks' of information in the…

9 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    2 comments  ·  ORCID Record - Personal Information  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your suggestion to improve the Registry.

This is an interesting suggestion that we will raise with our user interface design team for consideration.

Warm regards,
                    ORCID Community Team

• Create a visual flow sheet for ORCID and what sites/account it connects to

When I started research I signed up for an annoying number of aggregating/indexing sites, most of which connect to ORCID (researcherID, Scopus, uberwizard). But some of which don't, or have limited functionality with ORCID (NCBI, Google Scholar) or are considered social networking sites for adults (LinkedIN and ResearchGate). I couldn't keep them all straight, so I created a flow sheet for their interconnectedness. I would love to see an official flow sheet from you guys, even including sites that you DON'T currently connect to so that people don't spend 30 minutes trying to figure out how to link the two.…

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your suggestion to improve the ORCID Registry.

This is a great idea that we would like to get to, but which would require a bit of work with a good design team to tackle.

We’re going to mark it as under review as we look into potential solutions.

In the meantime, it would be great if those interest could offer suggestions of what you would expect to see in such chart.

For example, what types of systems should be displayed? There are those systems which are evidently connected to ORCID from the Search & Link wizards on the Registry user interface, and there are other systems. There are other systems which are open to the public and allow users to connect their ORCID iDs, but which do not first start from the ORCID Registry. There are also closed systems — such as institutional systems or manuscript submission…

• ignore stopwords when alphabetizing titles

Looking at the other requests here, you've clearly done a lot already to improve the interface. One tiny thing (I submitted this as a help request before I found this forum -- sorry); I suggest you ignore stopwords ("a", "the", etc.) when alphabetizing titles so that titles starting with "An observation on ...", "A plea for ...", "A method for ..." don't all end up at the beginning of the alphabetic list ...

thanks!

7 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  ORCID User Interface Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve added this to the list of new features to be considered in the near future and shall update this thread accordingly when a decision is made.

Warm regards,

• Books with ISBNs should merge, regardless of hyphens or 10/13 digits

Books with the work identifier ISBN do not merge, if ISBNs are formally different. Formally different could mean hyphens or not, and 10 digits or 13.

4 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your suggestion to improve the Registry.

This is a great suggestion and we’ve included it for consideration in the near future. We’ll update this thread once we have further details.

Warm regards,

• When editing, only the explicit "save" or "cancel" should do anything.

In particular, when clicking on the background outside of the editing box, nothing should happen. This often is done by mistake, and all changes are lost.

If there are "save" and "cancel" buttons, then only these should do anything: not clicking elsewhere, not hitting return.

I also notice that "website design" is not one of the categories, so I posted it here.

9 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

This is a good idea, but isn’t something that we presently have the capacity to work toward at the moment. We’re going to mark it as under review, so that we can consider it as an improvement after our current release cycle for version 2.0 of our API.

For more on what we’re working on at ORCID, follow our current development board at:
                            https://trello.com/b/iuJwm8A6

Warm regards,
                            ORCID Community Team

• Ability to denote which Co-Author of an article is associated with this Orcid Id

Add the ability to indicate which coauthor on an article this user's Orcid id is associated with. In the made up example below, it is ambiguous which J Smith is associated with "this" Orcid id.
                            J. Smith, J. Smith, and J. Smith (2007), Cats and Their Habits, Journal of Moggies, pg 1-1000.

27 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is something we’re looking into. In the next year we’ll be adding new functionality for contribution and specifically the roles of researchers in works. The new functionality may be able to address this issue.

Best,
                              -Catalina
                              ORCID Support

• 1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your great question. We’re going to look into this question with members of our team more familiar with IANA/urn namespaces and get back to you.

Warm regards,
                                ORCID Community Team

• Manual entry of dates is needed

Currently, publication dates can only be entered from the supplied pull-down menu. It would be better to allow manual entry also to deal with two situations: (1) forthcoming/in-press publications that are scheduled for future years (not available in the pull-down menu); and (2) multi-volume works published over a period of years, e.g.: 2000-2007 or 2000- [for ongoing works].

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  * Metadata/Data Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a fine idea, but isn’t something that we presently have the capacity to work toward at the moment. We’re going to mark it as under review, so that we can consider it as an improvement after our current release cycle for version 2.0 of our API.

For more on what we’re working on at ORCID, follow our current development board at:
                                  https://trello.com/b/iuJwm8A6

Warm regards,
                                  ORCID Community Team

• Process existing works with DOIs when co-authors later get ORCID

I noticed that API responses have "contributor-orcid" for works. There are examples where co-authors have independently added the same works after having created their ORCIDs. This is enough information to process and unambiguously populate "contributor-orcid". Doing so would make for a richer interface on orcid.org (ie navigate co-authors) as well as potentially fewer hits on your API.

9 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is falling into a larger conversation that we need to have with the community about the “contributor” role in items in the ORCID Registry. We are currently marking this as “under review” as we gather your suggestions on how this should proceed.

It would be helpful to obtain ideas from the community on how this might work. Some starting questions:
                                    When should a organisation updating an ORCID record with works data populate the contributor-orcid field? Only in the case when that contributor has previously authenticated their ORCID iD to the organisation?
                                    Should unauthenticated ORCID iDs be transferred in such field, should that iD be flagged and asked to claim the item?

Warm regards,

• Add support for RIS-formatted citations

The site currently has support for BibTeX and human-readable formatted citation formats. Add the ability to enter citations in RIS format.

41 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      1 comment  ·  Connections with other systems  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for submitting your idea to improve the ORCID Registry. Starting the week of Nov 12, and continuing weekly through December the Registry Stability Working Group will meet to help us prioritize all the functions and bugs that have been submitted, at that time you might see the status of your idea change after the Working Group assigns it a priority. While we want to get to every suggestion, our limited staff time means that some features will have to wait until future development cycles. The full process of how an idea turns into an active part of the ORCID Registry is described in the article How are new features decided?

ORCID works with the involvement and support of the community, and we appreciate your taking the time to help make the Registry better. In the three weeks since our launch, we’ve received a lot of great suggestions for the…

• Would like to see Public/Private listed on Search Results

I would like a search on https://orcid.org/orcid-search/quick-search/?searchQuery=antony%20williams, as an example, to show hn additional column of Public YES/NO. When there are multiple names that are the same it would save having to open each one one at a time to check on available information

3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        2 comments  ·  * Search/Browse  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Our understanding is that the request is that there be an indication on the record as to whether a record (or section of a record) is indeed empty of data, or whether there is data, but the reader (be it an individual or an API client) receive an indication that the data is not visible to them.

This indicator would in turn be reflected in the search result, e.g., in the Other Names section, or, should “Affiliation/institution” be a visible column (as when a new user registers and their name is a hit during the name disambiguation search), in that column.

Is this understanding correct?

If so, we shall put this forward as an idea to consider.

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestion.

Could you please give further information as to what you mean by this? Data which is set…

• reduce the usage of scripting on your pages. Makes it really hard to use, particularly on mobile.

ORCID needleslly uses a lot of javascript to do, well, not much. HTML and HTML5 work regardless of your browser of choice, and don't make your website look really bad on lots of browsers (particualrly mobile!).

For example as I type this, there are several items of overlapping text, lots of cut-off text, and generally it looks very rough-cut.

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for contacting ORCID Support.

Could you please let us know which area of the site you are referencing? There are:

It would also be helpful to contact support@orcid.org if you have any loading issues with these pages.

Warm regards,

• Reflecting the items seen in "Also known as" and "Keywords" as separate lines

In the current status, the items seen in "Also known as" and "Keywords" reflect to the public view in a wrapped style as the following:

Name Middle Surname, Name,
                                          M. Surname, N. M. Surname

I do recommend you to add an option to make each items as separate lines as the following:

Name Middle Surname,
                                          Name, M. Surname,
                                          N. M. Surname

2 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  ORCID Record - Personal Information  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your suggestion for improving the ORCID Registry user interface. This is a great suggestion and we’ll put it under interface improvements to be considered in the near future.

We’ll update this thread with further information when we have made a decision on this feature.

Warm regards,

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base