The support.orcid.org website is on a UserVoice platform that has a different privacy policy from our other sites. You may view the details at http://support.orcid.org/tos
X

ORCID iDeas Forum

Thanks for your ideas. The process to turn an idea into an active part of the ORCID Registry is described in the article How are new features decided? (see link) While we want to get to every suggestion, our limited staff time means that some features will have to wait until future development cycles. We look forward to reading your ideas.

I suggest that...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make organisations clickable

Why can't I click on "Robert Gordon University" in a profile like http://orcid.org/0000-0002-0570-7086 to see, which researchers in a certain organisation are registered in ORCID? That would be really useful for discovery purposes.

Please put links behind the organisation's names! URIs for each institution would be helpful here, I guess.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  * Search/Browse  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. We’re currently working on a way to make affiliation information searchable. After that we can think about trying to link it, though it may be a large project as one institution often has different names, or user entered a sub-organization which has a different name. But we will look into this after more pressing functionality is complete.

Best,
      -Catalina
      ORCID Support

• to handle accented characters as they used to be handled

We think of making all co-workers of the Budapest University of Technology and Economics (Hungary) have an Orcid ID. This would be great, but we have a problem. Most names in Hungary have accents (like meny names in French, German, Polish...). E.g. I am registered as István Kollár: 0000-0002-4807-0476
      In most systems, a search with unaccented characters (Istvan Kollar) returns all hit with or without accents. However, when I search for Kollar, I have no hits, even with "Also search other names" on (I do have added all these name versions). I can find my name with "Kollár" only. But…

14 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        5 comments  ·  * Search/Browse  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Thanks for reminding us about this bug. We’re actually in the process of switching how we do search (we’re moving from Solr to Elastic search). Once we’ve completed that update, which is scheduled for this summer, we’ll look at adjusting our search to work the way you very nicely described.

Thanks,
        -Catalina
        ORCID Support

• A 'report this' button is implemented to prevent spamming the registry

I searched the ORCID registry for "school" and lots of spam 'profiles' for driving schools, yoga schools, etc came up in the search results. For example:

http://orcid.org/0000-0001-7582-2402
        http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9587-8075
        http://orcid.org/0000-0001-6240-8560

ORCID has a process that runs each week aiming to identify potential suspect records, but it is dependent on keywords. I propose that ORCID implement a 'report this' button and we can crowdsource getting rid of these spam profiles?

6 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  * Search/Browse  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your suggestion to improve the ORCID Registry.

We shall put this as a feature under review. Let us know if you have any suggestions for how this may appear on the ORCID record.

For now, please continue to report any suspect records to support@orcid.org, as well as any suggested keywords to add to our regular spam search.

Warm regards,
          ORCID Community Engagement and Support

• Would like to see Public/Private listed on Search Results

I would like a search on https://orcid.org/orcid-search/quick-search/?searchQuery=antony%20williams, as an example, to show hn additional column of Public YES/NO. When there are multiple names that are the same it would save having to open each one one at a time to check on available information

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            2 comments  ·  * Search/Browse  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your suggestion to improve the ORCID Registry.

Our understanding is that the request is that there be an indication on the record as to whether a record (or section of a record) is indeed empty of data, or whether there is data, but the reader (be it an individual or an API client) receive an indication that the data is not visible to them.

This indicator would in turn be reflected in the search result, e.g., in the Other Names section, or, should “Affiliation/institution” be a visible column (as when a new user registers and their name is a hit during the name disambiguation search), in that column.

Is this understanding correct?

If so, we shall put this forward as an idea to consider.

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestion.

Could you please give further information as to what you mean by this? Data which is set…

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base