ORCID Ideas Forum

Thanks for your ideas. The process to turn an idea into an active part of the ORCID Registry is described in the article How are new features decided? (see link) While we want to get to every suggestion, our limited staff time means that some features will have to wait until future development cycles. We look forward to reading your ideas.

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. divulgar ORCID para catalogos de bibliotecas - que usam MARC21, sistemas como WorldCat, da British Library e sistemas como Aleph etc.

divulgar para bibliotecarios catalogadores - incluir campo para ORCID nos OPACs das bibliotecas

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Connections with other systems  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Traceability to real-world identity

Anyone can register for an ORCID id under any name. Authenticating with ORCID is evidence that you are the person who registered that id, but not that you really are accurately named in the ORCID record. This is OK for some purposes, but it also allows some attacks, e.g. reputational ones.

It would be useful if there was an optional second step to registration, in which a trusted institution can validate the ORCID record. Many services would rightly continue to accept unvalidated ORCID identities, but for some purposes traceability to the legal and physical person is essential.

8 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Connect with ResearchGate profile

It would be great to connect ORCID with the user's ResearchGate profile for completing the user's ORCID profile (www.researchgate.net).

Note: I am not sure if this already exist (I am a new member).

7 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  * Interfaces with other services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • use the correct name for the United States of America

The name of the country is the United States of America, not just the "United States," as listed in your pull-down list of countries for registration. I wasn't allowed to enter a correct version.

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  * Biographical Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Add PI field to the funding descriptions

It is important to know who the principal investigator of a grant is, even if other contributors to that grant include it in their ORCID iD.

4 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  * Metadata/Data Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • to handle accented characters as they used to be handled

We think of making all co-workers of the Budapest University of Technology and Economics (Hungary) have an Orcid ID. This would be great, but we have a problem. Most names in Hungary have accents (like meny names in French, German, Polish...). E.g. I am registered as István Kollár: 0000-0002-4807-0476
              In most systems, a search with unaccented characters (Istvan Kollar) returns all hit with or without accents. However, when I search for Kollar, I have no hits, even with "Also search other names" on (I do have added all these name versions). I can find my name with "Kollár" only. But…

8 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                4 comments  ·  * Search/Browse  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Thanks for reminding us about this bug. We’re actually in the process of switching how we do search (we’re moving from Solr to Elastic search). Once we’ve completed that update, which is scheduled for this summer, we’ll look at adjusting our search to work the way you very nicely described.

Thanks,
                -Catalina
                ORCID Support

• One Password to Rule Them All!

ORCID should work with publishers to allow users to login to manuscript systems either:

1) with their ORCID credentials on the publishers website
                or
                2) to the publishers website through ORCID.

This will greatly improve the ORCID user experience and functionality/utility of the system.

7 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Connections with other systems  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

The first part of your suggestion is already in place, and we’re working on the second part now.

Currently publishers can choose to let users sign in using their ORCID credentials. Landes Bioscience and APA are examples of two publishers currently using this option.

For signing into ORCID, we don’t have a way for the user to sign into ORCID with credentials issued by a publisher. But we will be adding functionality to use the credentials issued by institutions as the ORCID sign in. You can read more about or plans for this and track our progress at https://trello.com/c/29qm05V6/23-in-progress-login-via-federated-edugain

Best,
                  -Catalina
                  ORCID Support

• None of the above

I was surprised that you didn't allow free-form comments in your survey. I wanted to say that, from my point of view, the ORCID system is just one more electronic citation and connection service, along with ResearchGate and Academia.com, etc. I don't need more details or web pages to keep track of, and I'm certainly not interested in anyone forcing more reporting requirements on me. My papers can easily be found through standard library search systems. You'd really have to offer me some incentive to be interested in ORCID.

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • provide a page listing third-party tools

Please provide an easily-findable page on the ORCID website, listing third-party tools which may be of use to the ORCID community (including people with ORCID iDs, member organisations, data re-users, etc.).

This would list, for example:

The Wordpress plugin - http://pigsonthewing.org.uk/orcid-plugin-for-wordpress/

The Altmetric bookmarklet - http://www.atlas.jp/a4id/

8 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Collaboration Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • to offer ORCID in Catalan

Currently, ORCID website can be selected amongst 10 languages. Since Catalan Universities are using ORCID, and catalan language has been pioneer in wikipedia and other international platforms, I would like ORCID to offer Catalan as an option.

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Collaboration Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. Because of the time and expense involved with translating and supporting each language, ORCID has not been able to offer support for ever language we would want.

However, if you’d like to see the ORCID website in Catalan you can help us make that happen. To add Catalan to the languages ORCID offers we need you to translate the Registry and some pages of the ORCID about site into Catalan and provide support for the translations over at least one year (ie you will need to contribute additional translations in the next year if we add new functionality). If this is something you would be interested in doing, let us know at support@orcid.org and we’ll send you the files that would need to be translated.

Best,
                        -Catalina
                        ORCID Support

• Implement W3C's "Proposal for the Improvement of the Semantics of ORCIDs"

My friend Phil Archer, of the W3C, has written a paper [1] recommending some simple changes to ORCID's linked data, to make it more easily usable and to add semantic richness.

I strongly commend his suggestions.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2015/03/orcid-semantics

8 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  * Metadata/Data Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Andy,

Great suggestion. We’re aware of the paper and are currently reviewing it. We’re concerned with how we can roll out the changes suggested without affecting API users. We do want to improve the ORCID API but we want to make sure any changes we implement will not break current integrations.

Best,
                          -Catalina
                          ORCID Support

• Redesining Website Menu

I am very new to your service, just as I was going to read the "What is Orcid?" in the About Menu, I had a hard time to click on it, it is very evading as the mouse moves

You can test it yourself, accessing the sub-menus is hard

4 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Sorry you had trouble using our menus. We are planning a redesign of how the menus look (and how we have information organized) so this problem should be addressed later in 2015.

Best,
                            -Catalina
                            ORCID Support

• Make bibtex import work better. I imported hundreds of articles. I then edited about ten of them. Logged out. Only 5 articles kept:( ANGRY

Make bibtex import work better.
                            Don't piss away hard work done by a user. Where did my work go?
                            I imported hundreds of articles. I then edited about ten of them. Logged out. Only 5 articles kept:( ANGRY FACE! A lot of my edits were ones that could be automated (e.g. ISBN-10 and ISBN-13 not recognised as meaning "ISBN"!) But the most angry-making thing is that a load of my editing work just vanished with no warning. It is really rude of you to waste a user's time like that.

5 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

I’m so sorry you ran into this error. After clicking save on a work it should not be deleted from your record, that is clearly a bug with our system. If you let me know your ORCID iD I can take a look at you record and see if we can determine what happened.

In addition, we can certainly look at having more fields automatically map. If you can provide us a list of suggestions on BibTeX fields and what they should map to in an ORCID record we can add them to our importer. As BibTeX offers so many fields, not all were included when we initially set up the importer.

Also, if you’re adding hundreds of articles to your ORCID record you may want to look at using one of our import tools at http://support.orcid.org/knowledgebase/articles/188278-import-works-website-user. We offer a BibTeX import tool as it was requested by…

• Keep Institution Orcid profiles distinct from Author Orcid profiles

I've come across several profiles that were created by Institutions, e.g. by a university library or department, rather than by authors. These institutional profiles pull in articles written by various authors (ones belonging to that institution). Clearly this is a different use of Orcid and should be kept distinct from Author Orcid profiles.

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about this issue. ORCID record are intended only for individuals, institutions should not be creating ORCID iDs. If you can let me know any more records you find that were created by institutions I’ll follow up with them to close those ORCID records.

Thanks,
                                -Catalina
                                ORCID Support

• Correctly parse escaped characters from on import from crossref

Import from CrossRef appears not to leave some characters "escaped" when it should resolve these.

Example, in user 0000-0002-9708-1075 one publication is shown as:

On Theorem 10 in “On Polar Polytopes and the Recovery of Sparse Representations”

when the version imported from ResearcherID is correct as

On Theorem 10 in "On Polar Polytopes and the Recovery of Sparse Representations"

Also later see:

Learning overcomplete dictionaries with &#x2113;<inf>0</inf>-sparse Non-negative Matrix Factorisation

This should be a mathematical "ell subscript zero".

7 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  * Interfaces with other services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Colour contrast and readability

On the main ORCID site (especially on profile pages) would you consider making the text colour ever so slightly darker (and web safe) please?

I appreciate your response to similar suggestions in 2013 (e.g. http://goo.gl/EyY7M6) but doing some quick and minor CSS changes sooner would be really good as it would make it much easier to read text on screen.

For example, change the CSS colour #939598 to say #666666

Similarly the white text on green background could also be improved in terms of contrast. Anyway thank you for allowing us to suggest improvements and responding to suggestions.

Best…

14 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  ORCID User Interface Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • For publication type, you should really add "Review"

For publication type, you should really add "Review"

4 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  * Metadata/Data Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The list of work types offered in ORCID is from the CASRAI Output Standards, which you can find out more about at http://dictionary.casrai.org/research-personnel-profile/contributions/outputs. Rather than trying to maintain an inclusive list of work-types, ORCID has decided to use this vocabulary so we can focus on our main goal of providing unique identifiers.

However, we’re currently working on adding a new section to ORCID records to record peer review activity. We’re working with organizations like PRE on how to structure this section and plan to launch a tool within the year. I’ll update this iDea, when the Peer Review section becomes available.

Best,
                                      -Catalina
                                      ORCID Support

• oauth authentication screen - sign-in not apparent

We have implemented the 3-legged OAuth authorization. On the OAuth authentication screen the registration form is very dominant compared to the "Sign In" link. We are getting feedback from confused users who already have an ORCID iD and who not see a 'login' button.

We suggest to balance the visual appearance on the OAuth authentication screen for the two actions/options
                                      - "register"
                                      - "Sign In"

6 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        1 comment  ·  ORCID User Interface Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

I’ll pass on your feedback about making the Sign in button more prominent to our development team, this is probably something we can do. We used to display both a Sign in and Register form on the authorization screen but moved to just showing one in response to user and member feedback.

I also wanted to make sure you knew that you can have the sign in form be the default instead of register. Instructions on how to do that are at http://members.orcid.org/api/customize-oauth-login-screen

Best,
                                        -Catalina
                                        ORCID Support

• Initialized given names in search index & also exposed in API

A data source I am using to discover potential ORCID ids may/may not have initials as given-names. If your Lucene index had an EdgeNGram on given-names, to help accommodate incoming queries that contain abbreviated given-names, this would be immensely useful.

Alternatively, an additional, computed field like "given-name-initials" with EdgeNGram would be equally useful and would not change the behaviour of your existing Solr field, "given-names". A relatively simple regex-based method from https://github.com/berkmancenter/namae/blob/master/lib/namae/name.rb#L178 might prove useful.

6 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. After discussing this with our development team this looks like something we can do using your initial suggestion of using EdgeNGram on the given-names field.

I’ve added this to our list of projects to get to this year. But our developers are working on a number of other major improvements to the ORCID Registry, so I don’t have an exact timeline as when we’ll get to this.

Best,
                                          -Catalina
                                          ORCID Support

• Add arXiv links

In physics (as well as other fields), it is common for publications to be distributed via the arXiv (http://arxiv.org/). This is entirely open access, and so is a wonderful resource. It would be great if academic publications could be linked to the arXiv versions. This is not only so that the authors can associated with their work, but also so that anyone reading the ORCID profile can find links to the publications that they can read without journal subscriptions. The NASA ADS (http://adswww.harvard.edu/) and Google Scholar already do a good job of pairing publications with their…

42 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            4 comments  ·  Research Activities-Works  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base