ORCID Ideas Forum

Thanks for your ideas. The process to turn an idea into an active part of the ORCID Registry is described in the article How are new features decided? (see link) While we want to get to every suggestion, our limited staff time means that some features will have to wait until future development cycles. We look forward to reading your ideas.

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. item not found!

double import does not identify duplicated elements. Tidying up is also tedious.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • It is really irritating that a double import does not identify duplicated elements. Tidying up is also tedious.

It is really irritating that a double import does not identify duplicated elements. Tidying up is also tedious.

15 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

If you run an import from the same source twice works should not be duplicated in your ORCID record. If you are seeing duplicates please send us your ORCID iD so we can look into this as it is a bug.

For work imported from two different sources, the work often has slightly different metadata, such as a different external link. We are developing a tool that can match these non-exact duplicates but also combine information so unique data (like the multiple external links) is not lost. We hope to have this functionality available in the next couple months.

Best,
        -Catalina
        ORCID Support

• Automatic update of reference list from linked resources

Regularly check linked resources (Scopus, ResearchID) and alert the user when a new publication has been found with the option to import it.

25 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great suggestion! We’re working on this now.

We’re currently building a tool that will let ORCID members like Scopus and ResearcherID send you a notification when they have a new publication and ask for permission to add it to your ORCID record.

I’ll update this idea once the tool is complete.

Best,
          -Catalina
          ORCID Support

• Make organisations clickable

Why can't I click on "Robert Gordon University" in a profile like http://orcid.org/0000-0002-0570-7086 to see, which researchers in a certain organisation are registered in ORCID? That would be really useful for discovery purposes.

Please put links behind the organisation's names! URIs for each institution would be helpful here, I guess.

5 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Name and link

Hi,
            I have following suggestions.
            Please provide space just bellow Name to describe "Who am I ". It will be also help full to include personal l links.
            Also I am wondering how about giving space to include google scholar citation link? something like this: http://scholar.google.co.in/citations?user=0wvZB7AAAAAJ

One of my earlier suggestion is "please provide space to include photo of researcher just above name"

Thank you
            Sincerely
            Veeranagouda Yaligara

5 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  ORCID Record - Personal Information  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Your suggestion of having a standard way to add a Google Scholar link (as opposed to just listing it as a website) is something we’re looking into now. With the next design of the personal information section we’re going to be adding a list of common sites to link to (like LinkedIn, Wikipedia, and Twitter) and we’ll make sure Google Scholar is on that list as well.

We intended the biography section to include information like “who am I.” But, when we redesign the personal information section I’ll mention to our designers the idea to have a “Who am I” box too. That’s also when we’ll have a discussion about including photos on ORCID records.

Best,
              -Catalina
              ORCID Support

• Improve search function in IE browser

We can typing any traditional Chinese in Chrome to search the specific author, but it was useless in IE browser. May ORCID can improve the search function in IE browser?

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

I’m sorry our search engine didn’t work correctly for you in IE. Can you provide me an example of text your searched for in IE that did not return the same results as Chome? Also please let me know what version of IE you are using.

Best,
                -Catalina
                ORCID Support

• edit education and employment

we should be able to edit the employment and education information.

44 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  2 comments  ·  ORCID User Interface Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. We’re working on updating our system to allow this. For now you can delete an education or employment item and then add it again with the correct information.

Best,
                  -Catalina
                  ORCID Support

• Allow login to orcid.org without Google Analytics

Many people do not like to be tracked across pages by the likes of Facebook, Google, etc. and hence block these domains (or at least JavaScript from them) with tools such as NoScript.

Unfortunately, the login function of orcid.org is written in a way that makes it impossible to login while blocking Google Analytics. From a technical point of view, this is caused by the login functionality relying on code from https://ssl.google-analytics.com/ga.js (specifically, on the function _gaq.push, as a simple code analysis of the JavaScript on your code reveals).

If you are serious about your claims about respecting privacy, I…

6 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    1 comment  ·  Managing Privacy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for following up with the additional information. For our testing it looks like Ghostery is the plug-in that is causing issues, though if you whitelist orcid.org it should allow you to access the site.

It is necessary for us to track user’s behavior on our site to understand what integrations they are using as well as how they interact with the Registry. I’ve mentioned your suggestion of PIWIK to our team, but right now we don’t have the developer time need to switch to a new system.

Best,
                    -Catalina
                    ORCID Support

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. ORCID.org only uses Google Analytics to track the behavior of users on our site, we don’t share information you submit. That being said, our code does work with most tracking blockers including the Google Analytics Opt-Out at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout. What tracking blocker are you using? We would be…

• Please improve your web site

It is impossible to navigate through it. I had to keep logging off then on again to get to what looks like the main menu page.

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  ORCID User Interface Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

I’m so sorry you are having trouble using the ORCID website. If you can let me know more about what what you were doing when you were logged out and what browser and operating system you are using I can look into this further.

Best,
                      -Catalina
                      ORCID Support

• display department w/degree

Instead of degree alone in an education record, add granting department

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  ORCID User Interface Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. We’re going to be changing how we display education and employment items as part of an update to the general design of ORCID records in the near future. When we’re working on that design we’ll review the fields displayed and decide if department should be included as well. (Right now department is shown if you hover over the plus sign next to an item, it’s just not on the main record).

Best,
                        -Catalina
                        ORCID Support

• Attach affected email(s) when trying to register existing user via API

When trying to register a user with a primary or secondary email that already exists in the database, the API respons with HTTP 400 and a short error description. It would be helpful if the API also returned which email(s) that already are registered in the system, so this can be presented to the user, making it perhaps easier for him/her to retrieve the existing account.

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  API Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. We are planning to update the duplicate functionality on the API to return additional information about the record such as the email address that was duplicated or the existing ORCID iD. I’ll update this idea once we’ve been able to update our system with this.

Best,
                          -Catalina
                          ORCID Support

• Encourage users to link ORCIDs at the institution's website when adding an affiliation

When a user adds an affiliation for an institutional partner (which can be determined through a mapping between ringgold IDs and institutional client ORCIDs), a user should be encouraged to visit their institution's website to grant access to their account to their insitution (and so inform the instituion of their ORCID).

This would require institutional partners to provide a URL to be shown to the user for this purpose.

4 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Connections with other systems  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a great suggestion. As we start to develop more with the affiliations we can see how this could fit into the ORCID workflow. We already have a lot on our development plan for the near future (funding, a messaging system, more translations) so we won’t be able to fit this in soon, and we’ll need to think about exactly how it would work. But this is definitely an idea we’ll consider.

Best,
                            -Catalina
                            ORCID Support

• Oauth2 scope to allow ORCID/end-user to grant field level access to an API

Currently ORCID end-users must grant an API either all/none access to their data based on pre-existing security/privacy settings. Please allow the Oauth2 "scope" parameter to "request" access to specific data elements which the ORCID/end-user could then say yes/no to on a per-request (authorization) basis.

This is successfully done in the Facebook Oauth2 implementation:

https://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/dialogs/oauth/

scope: A comma separated list of permission names which you would like people to grant your app. Only the permissions people have not already granted your app will be shown

4 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  API Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Joel, thanks for the suggestion.

Can you tell us what your use case would be for field level access? Right now we’re not seeing much user demand for this as so little information in an ORCID record is not already public and having the private visibility option lets users ensure individual fields are never shared.

Best,
                              -Catalina

• make the works editing page a full page, not a popup window.

Currently, the works editing page appears as a popup window with the left/right margins grayed out. But it is not clear. And if you click in either of these gray margins, the work you are currently editing disappears with all changes lost. Perhaps include a pop-up window (that appears when you click outside of the editing box) warning you you are about to lose all unsaved info? Or maybe autosave changes? Or perhaps make the editing page a whole page and not just a popup page.

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion. We understand the add manually tool can be cumbersome and doesn’t work well on every browser. We are planning to redesign this window, and I’ll update this idea as we make progress on that.

Best,
                                -Catalina
                                ORCID Support

• Education & Employment sections collapsed by default in profile's public display

Maybe the public display of one's profile should start with the Education & Employment sections collapsed - most visitors would look for other people's science work in the first place. Just feels more effective this way - to me, at least - it's not a privacy scare.

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion. We like the idea of being able to collapse parts of a public record, especially as we add more sections to it. We’ve added this to our plans for when we redesign the public display.

Best,
                                  -Catalina
                                  ORCID Support

• 5 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    2 comments  ·  Research Activities-Works  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a great suggestion. We’re looking into adding an option for EZID to an upcoming version of our schema. To help us put this in place, can you tell us how EZIDs should be resolved into a URL to provide a link to the dataset?

Thanks,
                                    -Catalina
                                    ORCID Support

• rethink the authourity of publisher metadata

I appreciate the 'authourity' of publisher data. Publisher metadata is often sparse, incomplete, or inaccurate, as in my book chapters importing in as a book when pulled from CrossRef.

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Our Multiple Assertions Working group is currently addressing this issue and how best to let users provide the most accurate metadata about their publications while still distinguishing what data is from the publisher. We’ll update this iDea once we have the final recommendations from the working group later this year.

We also hope to start adding book publishers as an option to import works in 2014 so you should have a more accurate source for book metadata soon.

Best,
                                      -Catalina
                                      ORCID Support

• 3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  ORCID Record - Personal Information  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Stephen,

Sorry about that. We currently have a bug where biographies imported from ResearcherID do not show up as public. I’ve corrected this error on your account and your biography is now visible on your public ORCID record.

Best,
                                        -Catalina
                                        ORCID Support

• Citation expanded view sometimes not visible

Expanded views always show below the item. Not so great when the thing to be expanded is at the bottom of the screen. Even worse when the item can't be scrolled up.

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Our display is designed so that the screen should expand down so you can see the entire expanded area. If this isn’t happening for you could you let us know what internet browser and operating system you are on, as well as what record you’re looking at. That will help us a lot in figuring out what’s causing this bug.

Thanks,
                                          -Catalina
                                          ORCID Support

• Crop URL length on main page

On the main screen, the website URLs can spill into the other column, making things difficult to read.

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

This shouldn’t be happening. Can you send me a link to where you see it and let me know what browser you are using? The urls should wrap into the left column.

Also, if you don’t want the entire url to show you can always use description field to include short text.

Thanks,
                                            -Catalina
                                            ORCID Support

← Previous 1 3 4
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base