The support.orcid.org website is on a UserVoice platform that has a different privacy policy from our other sites. You may view the details at http://support.orcid.org/tos
X

ORCID iDeas Forum

Thanks for your ideas. The process to turn an idea into an active part of the ORCID Registry is described in the article How are new features decided? (see link) While we want to get to every suggestion, our limited staff time means that some features will have to wait until future development cycles. We look forward to reading your ideas.

I suggest that...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Search by works metadata

There's a number of pieces of information in works metadata: author, journal, year, volume, issue, title, possibly DOI, etc.

It would be great to be able to search on these pieces of information.

I had someone contact me that wanted to use the R ORCID client I maintain to search for works for only 2015 for all researchers at a specific university.

As far as I know this can't be done with the API, correct?

I tried to answer his question with the R client after pulling down works, parsing the bibtex citation, etc. - see here https://gist.github.com/sckott/41a400341180e967d5405642537b7c1e

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      3 comments  ·  API Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your suggestion on improving the ORCID Registry.

Could you give further information as to what you would expect from the works data search? We would suggest that you review the v2.0 release candidates, as such search features would be likely implemented on the version currently in development.

At present the ORCID API cannot be used to search works data. However an API client can obtain permission to read limited-access data on the ORCID record, including works data. An application can request such access from researchers at their institution, obtain their works data, and then search that data for works from a certain year.

Warm regards,
      ORCID Community Engagement and Support

• Resume or CV

ORCID is great as it is an online CV/resume. But it would be great if this record gets printed out automatically as a CV/resume with different formats available. Or an additional app which does this would also be great with editing features available.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  API Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • ORCiD inbox links to actual works, not entire list

The Inbox currently shows which service has updated my Work section, and presents a link 'View on your record'. That link shows the entire list of works (for me, it basically goes to https://orcid.org/my-orcid). I often cannot find which work was added. It would be great if somehow that could be made transparent, ideally by opening up the relevant work(s) in a separate window/page.

12 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          4 comments  ·  ORCID User Interface Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your suggestion to improve the ORCID Registry.

At present, the current stable version of the ORCID API, v1.2, does not make it possible to clearly state which items have been added or updated to the ORCID record via the ORCID API. (This is what such notifications are indicating.)

The simplest method to determine what was added or updated at present is by checking the creation date (via more details view). The modification date can also be viewed via the ORCID public API.

The API version currently in development, v2.0, supports the addition and updating of individual works items. It is possible that this could result in more informative notifications.

We would appreciate hearing further suggestions on how the addition/update notifications can improve. What information do you expect to see in them?

• Develop tagging and filtering to support funding application requirements

It seems relatively common that online grant/fellowship application systems ask the applicant to enter a list of works that is more specific than the complete list available on an ORCID profile. For example, some just want just journal articles, or just pubmed-indexed articles, or they want a separate list of works that arose from their previous funding, etc.

If users could tag their works and then provide a link to a list of works filtered by specific tags, then I think there would be a real possibility of funders changing their application requirements to allow such links in place of…

9 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            3 comments  ·  Research Activities-Works  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your suggestion to improve the ORCID registry.

Could you please provide further information about the tagging and filtering proposed? It would be useful if you could provide a single example.

Warm regards,

• Console to manage API credentials

Managing API credentials, redirect URIs etc is cumbersome work for both ORCid Support in making changes and integrators and software developers requesting for changes. Google-style console to manage API credentials and properties associated to them would ease workflows for both parties.

https://console.developers.google.com/apis/

Sure, Google has a lot of functionalities added, but a simple list of API IDs for each consortium member and management interface to update API redirect URIs would be a good start.

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  API Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your suggestion to improve the ORCID Registry. We’re glad to hear that this is something that you’d like to see, as it’s something that we’d like to see too!

Currently individual ORCID record holders can manage their ORCID Public API credentials by clicking Development Tools on the registry navigation (direct link: https://orcid.org/developer-tools).

We have as goal to allow members to do the same on with the Member API credentials. You can keep a track of progress on this by following our public Trello boards: https://trello.com/orcid2

Warm regards,

• ORCID interface should open a new window for the different functions

It would be useful if the ORCID interface would open a new window for the different functions. Now I am trying to write an email about my publication list, but I cannot go back to check my publication without deleting this email.

3 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  ORCID User Interface Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • I would like an easy way to copy/paste my ORCID iD (including the ORCID logo) to include in my email signature.

I would like an easy way to copy/paste my ORCID iD (including the ORCID logo) to include in my email signature or other places I might like to promote my ORCID iD.

4 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  2 comments  ·  ORCID User Interface Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestion for improving the ORCID Registry.

Could you suggest some layouts that you would expect to see as an email signature? And by ‘ORCID logo’, might you refer to the ORCID iD icon? (Green circle with the white iD)

Thank you.

Warm regards,

• Use https in sign up email and elsewhere

Hi,
                  I just signed up for an ORCID and the site sent me an email with an ORCID link:

>> The link to your public record is http://orcid.org/0000-<snip>

Since orcid.org has working TLS, you should adjust the email to include the https URL., eg, it should say:

>> The link to your public record is https://orcid.org/0000-<snip>

Also, some parts of your site do not have working TLS, for example, https://support.orcid.org produces invalid cert errors. It would be best to have the entire site protected by TLS.

4 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • unnecessary horizontal scrolling

Please remove horizontal scrolling. It is quite annoying and does not serve any apparent purpose since the margins are empty anyway. It just makes the website feel a bit wiggly. Here is one example:
                    http://orcid.org/blog/2013/08/08/suggested-practices-collection-and-display-orcid-ids-publishing-workflows
                    Other ORCID pages lack the wiggliness.
                    I understand it might be platform dependent. I use Firefox 47.0 on Mac OS 10.10.5.

4 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  ORCID User Interface Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • More information about why a researcher should sign up for an ORCID

ORCID is a great system - and, as a publisher, I love it when researchers use it - but there is little/no material on the website (eg in 'for researchers' section, or in FAQ) as to why authors would be motivated to sign up... we have had comments like 'oh, it's just another academia.edu' and 'oh, it's just another research gate' when we have tried to explain... there needs to be some information we can hand to them about why this would help them further their career, or get credit for their work, or make connections, or (most importantly) help…

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • ORCID add research data products ("data sets") as a "Work Category." Right now, ORCID treats research data products as a lower level type.

ORCID add research data products ("data sets") as a "Work Category." Right now, ORCID treats research data products as a lower level type, implying data products are not bona fide product of research activities.

This elevation of data products to a Work Category is an appropriate change, given the importance of published and archived data in modern research.
                        Such a change would promote the legitimacy of data products within ORCID

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Research Activities-Works  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Add a preprint field to direct to openly available versions of a work

Please consider adding a new field for a preprint identifier or link that could be added to existing works. This would allow someone visiting a profile to find an openly accessible version of a work (e.g., journal or conference paper).

In many fields, "green open access" is more practical than "gold open access" due to a lack of recognized OA journals. Thus, many authors wanting to make a paper available will submit it to a preprint server (such as arXiv, figshare, or Zenodo) in addition to publishing in a traditional (closed) journal.

Currently, there doesn't seem to be an obvious…

26 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Research Activities-Works  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • It will be great instead compulsion of username, lets log in us via our email address, research id or orcid no.

t will be great instead compulsion of username, lets log in us via our email address, research id or orcid no.

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  Connections with other systems  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Account Settings: Trusted organizations should only be listed once

In the account settings trusted organizations section looks more or less like an activity log. If e.g. you grant access to a service like CrossRef a couple of times it becomes rather confusing to get an overview of all services you trusted. "Cleaning up" by deleting is suboptimal, because it revokes access to the service completely.

It could be less confusing to list the trusted organizations only once and maybe add an extra activity log.

5 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  ORCID Record - Personal Information  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • ORCiD implement two-factor authentication

For added security, you could consider implementing two-factor authentication.

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • a German translation of the web interface is offered.

I suppose it is self explanatory...

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Unnecessary change on Hong Kong's name

Hong Kong has been recently changed to "Hong Kong SAR China" in the drop down menu which is unnecessary, confusing, and inconsistent.

Whilst Hong Kong does have what can be best described as a colonial relationship with China, it is for all intents and purposes its own country (hence it's a separate entry in the first place) and in the field of education, it would just be simply confusing to present Hong Kong as a Chinese city.

Hong Kong has a separate education and legal system with its own borders, meaning an academic who wishes to work in or visit…

3 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • reduce the usage of scripting on your pages. Makes it really hard to use, particularly on mobile.

ORCID needleslly uses a lot of javascript to do, well, not much. HTML and HTML5 work regardless of your browser of choice, and don't make your website look really bad on lots of browsers (particualrly mobile!).

For example as I type this, there are several items of overlapping text, lots of cut-off text, and generally it looks very rough-cut.

2 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for contacting ORCID Support.

Could you please let us know which area of the site you are referencing? There are:

It would also be helpful to contact support@orcid.org if you have any loading issues with these pages.

Warm regards,

• Mark up lists correctly

Please use list markup for lists of names, websites, other IDs, or keywords. This is not only semantically correct, per HTML specifications, but also improves accessibility for people using assistive software to access web pages.

Names would be best shown with each starting a new line (the present method can lead to confusion), but it is possible to style lists of keywords so that they are presented horizontally, with a visual separator such as a mid-dot. For websites and other DS, it is possible to style lists as at present, without bullets.

I'm happy to advise further if required.

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          1 comment  ·  ORCID User Interface Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your suggestion to improve the ORCID Registry.

This iDea is currently marked for consideration by our team. We’ll let you know as it further progresses. Many thanks!

Warm regards,

• ORCID

It would be great if ORCID had a 'Follow' function, which alerted the follower whenever the ORIC ID holder added a new item (e.g. grant, publication, position) in their profile and this item has been set as publicly visible.

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base